2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

How is Richard Gough still even entertained? Especially with all the rumors.

You'll not find me peddling those myths. I hate Richard Gough because he reminds me of a Rangers team that won pretty much everything when I was growing up. He also has an annoying voice and a face like a mouldmaster. People like him and Mark Hateley should keep their mouths shut, or at least, seek PR advice instead of sticking their names to moronic editorials.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else recall Gough doing the "ten in a row" sign after scoring the winner in a Old Firm game at Ibrox in season 97/98? He later backtracked, claiming his celebration was something he picked up from his time in USA, and his gesture was the american signal to "raise the roof" :laugh:

Neilson's a bit of an animal, but Lasley's in a league of his own. A dirtier, less talented Ian Black.

There should be no place in the game for thugs like him, he's at it all the time. It's about time they really started to come down hard on the hatchet men. He shouldnt be kicking another ball until the new season.

Lasley never struck me as the dirty type, maybe it's because he's quite unassuming and perhaps more discreet than Black who is someone you cannot help but take a dislike to. Neilson on the other hand has always been like that, learned his craft under Levein at Hearts which was full of hammer throwers and hatchet men.

For me, the difference between them is that Black is a complete scumbag and goes out to commit horrible challenges that LOOK bad as well. Lasley is the kind of player who commits the brand of fouls that a commentator would describe as "cute": translated as "he is a dirty fucking bastard that knows exactly what he's doing there".

Lasley never struck me as the dirty type, maybe it's because he's quite unassuming and perhaps more discreet than Black who is someone you cannot help but take a dislike to. Neilson on the other hand has always been like that, learned his craft under Levein at Hearts which was full of hammer throwers and hatchet men.

Maybe he just doesn't like Celtic then, he's always crude as hell whenever we play them.

To be honest, there's a whole squad of them from recent years that are much of a muchness. The aforementioned two, McCulloch, Tokeley, Wright, Skelton (who thankfully seems to have disappeared) etc. It'd be like trying to compare Jeffrey Dahmer with Ed Gein and Albert Fish!

You're not wrong about Levein's Hearts. That generation were particularly brutal, although they've always traditionally been that type of team. Neilson, Maybury, Hartley, Stamp, McFarlane, Severin, Pressley, McKenna... they'd kick anything that moved. Webster was a brute too, but he was at least fair enough to assault himself as well as others :D

You'll not find me peddling those myths. I hate Richard Gough because he reminds me of a Rangers team that won pretty much everything when I was growing up. He also has an annoying voice and a face like a mouldmaster. People like him and Mark Hateley should keep their mouths shut, or at least, seek PR advice instead of sticking their names to moronic editorials.

Hateley is hilarious. I went to the League Cup Final that you guys won in extra time a few years back and he was at the pre-game dinner. He said he thought Celtic would spring a surprise and use Willo Flood, until someone pointed out that he was cup-tied.

Maybe he just doesn't like Celtic then, he's always crude as hell whenever we play them.

To be honest, there's a whole squad of them from recent years that are much of a muchness. The aforementioned two, McCulloch, Tokeley, Wright, Skelton (who thankfully seems to have disappeared) etc. It'd be like trying to compare Jeffrey Dahmer with Ed Gein and Albert Fish!

You're not wrong about Levein's Hearts. That generation were particularly brutal, although they've always traditionally been that type of team. Neilson, Maybury, Hartley, Stamp, McFarlane, Severin, Pressley, McKenna... they'd kick anything that moved. Webster was a brute too, but he was at least fair enough to assault himself as well as others :D

That brings back memories! Not all pleasent either mind you. De Vries put himself about, too.

The thing is, I think Neilson was a different brand of dirty from the man who he obviously idolised in Steven Pressley. Robbie Neilson is just a complete thug who will clatter anything in his way. Pressley was dirty in a "gentleman of the game" type of way; he was combative, niggly and would do anything to defend the box but after the game you'd see him in a suit shaking everyone's hand. I think I remember Henrik Larsson saying he was his least favourite defender to play against in his entire career.

For some strange reason I always quite liked Pressley, even before he came to Celtic for his short spell. I think I'm in a minority cos I know people who are still annoyed that he ever wore our jersey.

Have to say, Killie played really well and genuinely deserved to win.

Any other season I'd be pleased because it was a psychological blow to Celtic's title hopes, but today it's just happiness at seeing the underdog get the victory.

EDIT:

@stoksey10: Any1 that thinks I wud dive wen I'm 1 on 1 wit d keeper needs their head checked. So disappointed but we still have so much to play for

Even if there was contact, the replays suggest it was minimal. I'm not suggesting whether or not it was a penalty - only the players will know that, although supposedly a photographer snapped some evidence to suggest it was - but anyone who saw that and knows the ability of Anthony Stokes would surely say that he should've stayed on his feet and had a shot instead of going for the easy option of going down easily. He'd knocked the ball to his left foot and the next step was to take a pop, which he clearly chose not to do.

Archived