2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

Up there it's obviously going to be different. You'll alienate a third of your readership if you criticise Celtic or Rangers.

Exactly, It's hilarious to see the reaction when on the rare occasion a journalist with no agenda like say, Graham Spiers dares to criticise either of the Old Firm. He's either a "Hun bastard" or a "Tim sympathiser".

The west-coast media is a joke and has been for years.

Graham Spiers is maybe a poor example. I think only the most militant Celtic fan would ever accuse him of being a "Hun bastard" because he (to his credit) admitted to supporting Rangers and frequenting Ibrox as a child. It's obvious he has no love for them and has been for years and years. You could only imagine him as a "Tim sympathiser" if, conversely, the militant Rangers fan perceives his constant sticking the boot in as a Celtic leaning.

Personally, I like Spiers but your point about the west-cost media is correct. He is supposed to be our best, and yet he has been a mile behind the "internet bampots" with this story.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"What happened last year was disappointing, but what Ally has had to deal with is devastating."

Bombs, being attacked and life threatened or administration and having to take a drop in wages? Words fail me.

"What happened last year was disappointing, but what Ally has had to deal with is devastating."

Bombs, being attacked and life threatened or administration and having to take a drop in wages? Words fail me.

Brought it on himself etc Ally is dignified and should be Manager of the Year etc

Could we get some context on that quote please? If the question preceding it is 'What do you think of Rangers' plight?' then McCall's answer is completely justified. If it's 'How do you think being an Old Firm manager has changed in the last few years?' then maybe you can go back to your complaining.

Could we get some context on that quote please? If the question preceding it is 'What do you think of Rangers' plight?' then McCall's answer is completely justified. If it's 'How do you think being an Old Firm manager has changed in the last few years?' then maybe you can go back to your complaining.

He was asked about what Old Firm managers have to deal with in their respective jobs and about what managers have to deal with in Scottish football as a whole.

Is that you?

Is that you?

Hilarious, you are. Our "paranoia" doesn't seem so bad now eh, considering the allegations being investigated at the moment.

• Paid Members

He was asked about what Old Firm managers have to deal with in their respective jobs and about what managers have to deal with in Scottish football as a whole.

But, still, was he specifically referring to Lennon at that point? Because it could easily be read as him referring to the financial cost-cutting we went under last year where we sold Kenny Miller for peanuts after losing Boyd and Novo for fuck all at the start of the season.

Seems more likely than him referring to the shite Lennon went through as "disappointing".

Hilarious, you are. Our "paranoia" doesn't seem so bad now eh, considering the allegations being investigated at the moment.

No. It's still ridiculous.

Whether we had two contracts in place or not, and whether Bain and Ogilvie knew about them or not, it still doesn't prove that there is institutional bias against Celtic anymore than there is against Hearts, Hibs, United or the rest of the teams in the League that would've been screwed over by it.

Was not surprised to see that both Robbie Neilson and Keith Lasley were given red cards today. A leopard doesn't change its spots: they are a pair of dirty bastards.

I imagine we'll have a Celtic/Aberdeen final this year. I'd hope so anyway cos the Dons will sell out their allocation and the game will be a bit of a spectacle. I predict St. Mirren will edge Hearts in the replay.

Neilson's a bit of an animal, but Lasley's in a league of his own. A dirtier, less talented Ian Black.

There should be no place in the game for thugs like him, he's at it all the time. It's about time they really started to come down hard on the hatchet men. He shouldnt be kicking another ball until the new season.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has warned BBC Scotland the club will not co-operate with sections of the media for the rest of the season.

Lennon accused the Scottish press of deliberately attempting to draw Celtic into Rangers' financial crisis.

"There's a lot of muckraking going on between some hacks," said Lennon.

"There's going to be a lot of media outlets disappointed, because me and the players are not going to be speaking to you."

Celtic cancelled their pre-match media conference on Friday and Lennon said journalists and reporters should expect more of the same as the season enters its final phase.

"We decided not to do a press conference this week because of all the nonsense that's going on elsewhere," said Lennon ahead of Celtic's 4-0 Scottish Cup quarter-final win over Dundee United.

"So we decided we're not even going to bother with you this week and just get about our business quietly and we'll do our talking on the pitch."

Reigning champions Rangers have gone into administration while Celtic have overturned a 15-point deficit to lead the Scottish Premier League by 21 points.

Lennon said he was angry at reports suggesting Celtic were trying to benefit from their Glasgow neighbour's financial worries.

"It's in the hands of the legal team and I'm probably best not to say to much about that, but you know exactly what I'm talking about," he said.

"It doesn't bother me at all - we just said, right, we're not going to talk to anyone.

"We're going to get our heads down, not look at a newspaper. We want to talk about football and the achievements we're hoping to get over the line this year.

"We'll maintain that for the rest of the season, but I don't care, I'll do it through the club if I have to.

"We're nothing but professional and respectful to the media - and yet they do us no favours.

"They keep throwing things in our face and keep trying to make confrontations with people that aren't there.

"So, enough is enough - they've not done me any favours over the piece.

"I'm angry, but I'll deal with it in my own way."

While suggesting he would not be co-operating with the media, Lennon did speak to BBC Scotland and Sky television after the victory over United, one that kept Celtic on target for a domestic Treble.

"I thought we were not like ourselves in the first half, but in the second half I thought we were terrific," he said.

"To give United credit, the scoreline probably flattered us.

"If we play like we did in the first half, there will be no Treble."

Meanwhile, Lennon added that he had been left devastated by the death of Paul McBride, the QC who has represented the Celtic manager and was a personal friend before his death last week in Pakistan.

Archived