2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Much respect to Gregg Wylde:

The exit of 20-year-old winger Wylde will come as a huge shock as he was regarded as one of the club's brightest prospects and most saleable assets.

The Scottish Under-21 international has played nearly 50 first-team games for the club and only signed a new five-year deal last August.

Wylde is quoted by STV as saying: "I couldn't sleep at night" and he took the decision to leave in the hope it will "save other people's jobs" at the club.

Obviously he knows he's going to get a good deal elsewhere but it's still a fine gesture.

Perhaps so but if he signed a 5 year deal last August, he'll be on the wage of 10 of the younger lads. Finger needs poitning at the high earners who aren't making the gesture.

Why should they? They have signed a contract to get paid an agreed amount. There are the likes of Lee McCulloch who would probably pay to stay on if he was asked but a footballer's career is short.

• Paid Members
Why should they?

Because it's the right thing to do. They can all walk into other clubs on good money. most clubs that hit administration can't give their players away. These guys are in the fortunate situation of having good market value. They'd be smart to jump to the front of the free agent queue now. Alex McLeish would take them all.

Mind you, if I was the administrator, I wouldn't want the likes of McGregor and Naismith going anywhere. Those guys have value.

Why should they?

Because it's the right thing to do. They can all walk into other clubs on good money. most clubs that hit administration can't give their players away. These guys are in the fortunate situation of having good market value. They'd be smart to jump to the front of the free agent queue now. Alex McLeish would take them all.

Mind you, if I was the administrator, I wouldn't want the likes of McGregor and Naismith going anywhere. Those guys have value.

Almost all of the high earners have value, hence why it's not so easy for them to just walk away like you think they should.

For all you know, maybe half the squad do all want to be released to find something else, but the decisions rest with the administrators.

• Paid Members
Almost all of the high earners have value, hence why it's not so easy for them to just walk away like you think they should.

For all you know, maybe half the squad do all want to be released to find something else, but the decisions rest with the administrators.

I don't think they should necessarily walk away, I think they could take pay cuts for the mean time. If the club goes bang, they'll get nothing. Better to protect the club in the short term and walk out a hero. Footballers live a privileged life, wouldn't hurt them to give a little back.

I don't think they should necessarily walk away, I think they could take pay cuts for the mean time. If the club goes bang, they'll get nothing. Better to protect the club in the short term and walk out a hero. Footballers live a privileged life, wouldn't hurt them to give a little back.

It's been reported that they all offered to take substantial pay cuts though, but the administrators rejected it.

Of the ones that are still there come the end of the week, i'd be very surprised if they all haven't agreed pay cuts, or at least so-called 'deferrals' with little chance of reimbursement.

• Paid Members
It's been reported that they all offered to take substantial pay cuts though, but the administrators rejected it.

Of the ones that are still there come the end of the week, i'd be very surprised if they all haven't agreed pay cuts, or at least so-called 'deferrals' with little chance of reimbursement.

I wasn't getting at those guys, I was more defending Wylde after Soapy's comment. I've no idea what the rest will do at the moment. Some more comments from Wylde:

"I volunteered to walk with no redundancy package today to help the other people in the club who have families, like the kitchen staff."

"I offered to walk away yesterday and the club told me today that they would accept that offer.

"At the moment I have nowhere to go and I don't have another club.

"I don't know what is going to happen next but I thought it was important to play my part in saving Rangers."

What are the chances of Rangers going tits up, reforming in a lower division under a different name, then buying back the 'rights' to the name and the club ala Fiorentina?

From what is understood, it's pretty much inevitable. I reckon moves will be made to ensure that a NewCo Rangers could be brought right back into the SPL though.

Archived