2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Here's the Mark Hateley article for anyone that wants to read it....

I'd prefer just to leave them to it. Congratulate them and move on. I just wish they had the good grace to do likewise as my club attempts to battle for its very existence and good people are worried sick about their jobs.

I find the tone that has been set by the men at the top at Celtic Park in recent days and weeks has been ill-judged at best and, at worst, deliberately inflammatory.

Let's be honest here, Rangers are lying in the gutter, bleeding badly. There is no need for the likes of Lennon and Peter Lawwell to continue to sink the boot in when our wounds

have been self-inflicted.

I would hope Rangers, as a football club, would conduct themselves with a bit more class if the shoe was on the other foot. In fact, I'm sure they would.

Calling for Rangers to be stripped of titles? Political manipulating and manoeuvring in order to make sure no mercy is shown should their rivals get back on their feet?

All this crass stuff about celebrating the death of Rangers with bowls of jelly and ice cream? Is that really necessary? It smacks of the behaviour of people who hate Rangers more than they love their own club. It reflects very badly on them all.

No one expects Celtic to shed a tear over the state Rangers have got themselves into.

But, even so, there is a venom about their recent reaction which has shocked me and should embarrass the more level-headed, decent people at Parkhead. I hope it does at any rate.

It saddens me that these extreme times seem to bring out the worst in supporters on both sides of Glasgow.

I include Rangers supporters in that because last week, when they were all hurting so badly, some of them chose to bring further shame on Ibrox by singing the kind of songs that have been making us cringe for so long. Thanks for that lads. Just what the club needed in a time of crisis.

As much as I would prefer for Celtic to concentrate on enjoying their success, I would also hope Rangers and their fans can act with dignity and decorum as they fight to get through this, one of the most horrible periods in the club's 140-year history.

These are the qualities the club was built on and these same qualities have never been more important than they are right now.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say how the Rangers support acts at this crucial juncture may decide the very fate of their club.

It's time for them to think smart. Singing stupid songs of defiance is hardly what's needed now. They have to take a step back from all that nonsense and attempt to get a clear view of the bigger picture.

It's not about mindless bravado, it's about making the right choices and ensuring the club they love is around another 140 years from now.

There is no shame in being duped. Let's be honest, it happens to us all.

But what's the old saying? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

They should have those words engraved on the front doors of Ibrox as a permanent reminder and a warning to the next man who gets his hands on the keys.

Yes, the Rangers support is just about to realise how powerful it really is now it is galvanised again and pulling in the same direction.

These fans are about to become the king makers and that's why they should behave in a manner befitting the club they represent.

The next man who steps up to the plate will expect them to scrutinise his every move like never before. The fans will demand that, from now on, the people at the top are open and transparent. They deserve nothing less.

What the future holds is still unclear. In the short term, we can only hope the administrators find what they are looking for to keep the business going and then had it over to a safe pair of hands.

Hopefully the time will come soon when the fans are being asked to throw their united support behind a new regime.

In an ideal world a group of well meaning, wealthy and reputable Rangers supporters will step forward to claim control as a consortium to make sure that, never again, the club is left in the hands of just one man.

If all these interested parties can find a way to club together for the greater good and drag Rangers away from the brink I'm positive the rank and file won't be slow in identifying them as the men who saved them from their darkest hour.

It's time for Rangers men to stand up and be counted. It's time for the club to rid itself of all the old unwanted baggage so that Rangers can be proud of itself again for the fantastic football club it always has been.

So let Celtic get on with celebrating their title - a title they somehow failed to win throughout the last three years of financial troubles - and let Rangers get on with the painful process of putting their club back together.

Somebody get the cunt a tissue. Fucking prick that he is.

Martyn, you missed out the most important part of the article. The part where he says that Celtic's (eventual) title win is tainted. Ignoring the fact that Rangers are routinely being gubbed of teams like Kilmarnock and by his own admission, the position they are in is Rangers' own fault.

I just thought I'd make clear that I'm not wanting Rangers liquidated. I don't even want to see them relegated to the Third Division. The outcome that would give me the greatest pleasure would be to see them become standard SPL dross for the next five or six years. Things like 9th place finish every year. I think that would stick in the craw of "the people" more than the hope of progress that'd be seen in moving up divisions.

The big house must stay open!

If by "tainted" he means "non-deduction-related turnaround of 25 points since Rangers fans started celebrating their inevitable title win" then yes, it's a tainted win. Seriously, if Rangers can pull back and lose the league by less than ten points this season then they still walk away with some bragging rights. Otherwise, Hateley can shut his cunting mouth. And really, wasn't he still there when Fergus McCann saved us? Does he not remember the Rangers fans' reaction to our predicament? Fuck, at least our problems were just piss-poor management. Rangers management have allegedly committed criminal acts against the Crown and cheated their way to success. I think we're entitled to suggest that retrospective punishment for that shit might be fair.

• Paid Members

Tainted says to me that the winners have cheated or something similar.

Rangers put themselves into administration voluntarily, they asked for a 10 point deduction. There's nothing tainted about this title at all.

Tainted says to me that the winners have cheated or something similar.

Rangers put themselves into administration voluntarily, they asked for a 10 point deduction. There's nothing tainted about this title at all.

They also seem to be ignoring the point we would be 10 points ahead without a deduction.

So let Celtic get on with celebrating their title - a title they somehow failed to win throughout the last three years of financial troubles

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-prem...ast-five-years/

Celtic & Rangers have spent around the same amount in transfers in the last 5 years but Celtic are breaking even with transfers in and out, while Rangers are down about

Thought we were pretty poor today. Credit to Motherwell though as they done really well to contain us most of the game. Also enjoyed their small chant, "Champions League when Rangers die."

I thought the game was hard fought. Motherwell are a good team. James Forrest was the best player on the park. I don't think it would be unreasonable to suggest that Charlie Mulgrew be awarded Player of the Year. He has been Mr. Consistency this season.

Thought we were pretty poor today. Credit to Motherwell though as they done really well to contain us most of the game. Also enjoyed their small chant, "Champions League when Rangers die."

I thought the game was hard fought. Motherwell are a good team. James Forrest was the best player on the park. I don't think it would be unreasonable to suggest that Charlie Mulgrew be awarded Player of the Year. He has been Mr. Consistency this season.

It's got to be either Charlie Mulgrew or Joe Ledley.

Archived