2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

It just gets worse...

I genuinely hope Rangers don't go out of business. It really wouldn't help anyone. I do hope that HMRC take them to the cleaners, though, and that the club has to suffer an equivalent term of poverty paying back its debts to the time it rode high on money it stole from Queen and country. I bet Trevelyn's corn wasn't worth

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think even if they do go bust there Rangers will be in the SPL next season regardless, simply in a different form.

I personally can see a scenario where Glasgow Rangers Football Club themselves will go bust and as such all assets owned by them would be sold for example the council could buy Ibrox and then rent it back to them on match days meaning that it could be used for conferences, functions, concerts etc. by the council as well as the revenue they would generate renting it back to them for the games.

The players would all be released onto free transfers as their contracts would effectively be worthless with some sticking around to be picked up on a free transfer when the club starts up again under the new banner and the others heading to other clubs picking up some juicy signing on bonuses at their new clubs due to them not having to pay a fee for them.

The club themselves could just form a ''new'' club using a name such as FC Rangers of Glasgow with a slight variation of the current club crest and start from scratch. At the very least the SFA would promote an extra club into the SPL from the 1st Division and so on and so forth down the leagues and then FC Rangers would be tucked neatly into the 3rd Division.

Realistically though the SFA would just stick the new version straight into the SPL citing the reasons that due to the number of fans likely to attend away games throughout the 3rd, 2nd and 1st Divisions during the inevitable triple promotions it would cause a severe safety hazard for the fans at said games due to a large number of the grounds not being able to safely accomodate the number of away fans that would be turning up to the games.

Added to that they would make another extremely valid point that not having a version of Rangers in the SPL would be extremely detrimental for the other clubs not only in the SPL but also throughout the Scottish Football Leagues. Without the 4 Old Firm league games in any season, the multiple Rangers games against other SPL teams shown on SKY and the ticket sales etc that are generated from them playing away at clubs in the SPL then a lot of the clubs would be in even more financial trouble than a lot of them already are which could dramatically speed up the rest of the league collapsing. The money in football always trickles down the divisions and as such if the teams at the top are struggling financially so will everybody below them.

No TV company is going to want to pay big money solely for Celtic vs the other 11 teams that would be in the SPL and even less so for the other games. It's not be trying to belittle the other clubs in the league teams like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd amonst others have great histories in the games but little to nobody Scotland other than the fans of the teams involved who would likely be at the game anyway are going to be interested in watching St. Mirren v Aberdeen or Dundee Utd v Inverness, let alone people in England, Wales etc. The less the interest there is in the games that are available, the less money is going to be paid for the TV rights.

As a leash on the whole reinstatement the SFA could add into the agreement that they had some kind of enforced transfer/wage cap to ensure that they didn't just come back with no debt then fill the team with high paid stars and effectively benefit from the whole situation. That way they would still be receiving a punishment of some sort as there would be a very high possibility of them not finishing in the top 3 with a team made up of youth players and free transfers which in turn may even made more casual fans outside of Scotland interested to see what's going on and also attendances increase at your teams like Aberdeen, Motherwell, Dundee Utd, Hibs etc. with a genuine possibility of a 2nd place finish. As much as it would take the piss considering they only have themselves to blame for the trouble they have got themselves into and they deserve every punishment that is thrown at them it would be extremely hard to argue that not having them in the SPL would be beneficial for anybody else involved in Scottish football.

Similar stuff happens in Italy fairly regularly with a couple of the bigger examples being Fiorentina and Torino so for me it isn't really even that much of a bizarre or hypothetical situation and in my opinion far more of a genuine possibility.

Running away with it? There is still a game in hand and Rangers have had a win in a home Old Firm. The League is far from over.

10 points clear is pretty much the definition of 'Running Away With It'

4 in a row is an absolute given. You can quote me on that

Oh dear, Alistair.

Cheers for the ten points. Doubt we'll need them.

I'm not even gonna lie. I hope they go bust. We will be fine without them.

aye you'll finally get your wish to play in the preimer league..............of ireland

They can't even blame it all on David Murray, they have'nt paid

They could strike a deal with HMRC to write off a large portion of the tax bill in exchange to the naming rights at Ibrox.

The Inland Revenue Arena would have a familiar ring to it. :laugh:

I'm not even gonna lie. I hope they go bust. We will be fine without them.

Spoke like a true Celtic fan.

Johnny vegas' post a few lines up was a sensible post, and the only way I can ever see it going. The delusional "We don't need them" is exactly that, Delusion. The SPL NEEDS Rangers to be an attraction. Unless ofcourse Dunfermline start to put up a title challenge, and make it a 2 horse race again, giving crowd figures in excess of 40,000 every week....

The SPL simply isn't an appealing prospect without both sides of the Old Firm.

A Lot of Celtic fans I know are jumping for joy at this episode, saying things like "YAY, we can join England now"... Never gonna happen. If you move leagues it'll be to Ireland where you'll have even less quality of opposition.

Archived