Shops

The Reverend

Over the last couple of years, and particularly in the last year, I've found myself buying less and less in shops. Obviously I still food shop in Tescos, M&S etc. but in terms of buying CDs, DVDs, Books etc. I don't think I ever buy from places like HMV anymore. I'm terrible for going in picking something up and then getting my phone out to check prices on Amazon. If I do buy from shops it's only if there's a sale on or if it's really cheap - I've become quite the supporter of PoundLand! I don't see the point of buying books from Waterstones when I can get them from The Works for a fraction of the cost (I still kick myself that I didn't bulk buy Regal's book that they had for

I still buy DVDs from HMV, they often have really good deals on there. After years of buying books on Amazon, I've started going back to bookshops as well, as I kind of want them to still exist for future generations.

• Paid Members

My DVD & Book buying is probably evenly split between on line and the super market. I rarely ever buy them from high street shops. I still use the high street for clothes and jewellery (not for me) and occasionally for gifts.

I tend to by CD's from the charity shop, unless it's a gift, then I use amazon. I'm not a massive buyer of music though, especially modern stuff.

I don't think I've bought a CD in about 18 months since I got seriously in to downloading, same with DVDs unless it's something I really want like a Family Guy box set or something. With the amount of content available online I really don't see the point. I buy a lot of my books from charity shops- they're cheap and I feel like I'm doing some good for a change. The Works is brilliant for bargains, missed the Regal book though which I'm a bit gutted about

I still buy my clothes primarily from shops, and I can't see that ever changing - there's no substitute for being able to see how a garment looks and fits in person.

DVDs, CDs etc, not so much, but I think that may be more to do with my age and the recession - I don't do the sort of impulse buying I did when I was a student, and I'd call into Music Zone on the way back from uni and spend

The only thing I really use shops for now is clothes and trainers and even now I am 50/50 between using ASOS over the high street as they have such a simple return policy and are quick with refunds etc.

I genuinely think in 15 years time we will only have clothes shops and maybe high end electrical shops on the high street.

I don't bother with shops, they have very small selections when compared to the internet and the salespeople are usually a drag to deal with, even when they're all chirpy and happy. I spend most of my money on music (vinyl, CD) and clothes, and do it all online. The returns service on most websites is usually free and easy to use, so I don't worry about things not fitting, especially when I have the choice of 1,200 T-Shirts on ASOS alone - compare that the a high street shop that has 15-30 at most, and any of the nice ones will be worn by everyone else.

Even with food shopping I hit the self-service checkout so I don't have to actually deal with people.

• Moderators

I don't buy cds from there, but I go into HMV for book shopping, and hoping to kick someone's ass at the Street Fighter IV console they have set up (that statement really belongs in teh gaming confessional thread).

They have some fantastically cheap books, and some of them are actually good!

I still go record shopping in actual record shops, but I also buy stuff online too. I'm not sure that I buy cds at all..? Can't remember the last time I did.

I don't buy DVDs as I don't really watch films more than once. TV boxsets I guess, but that definitely happens online.

Clothes shopping I mostly do online - returns for online purchases has become a lot easier, which is what used to put me off.

To be honest, when I saw this thread I thought it was absurd and my response was "of course I do!". But stopping to think about it I don't do it anywhere near as much as I thought I did.

If I want something like clothes and stuff, Will go to a shop. Also for odds bods and sods. I like to browse. Books and Cd's DVD's and Games are another thing I like to see tangibly.

Yeah will use online, but sometimes cant beat a good bit of shopping. Then I like Carbooting as well.

i tend to use online stores like silvervision and base.com to buy my dvds from but i do like going into second hand shops and picking up cheap dvds/blu rays every now and again. for example, on tuesday i picked up the first series on the american office on dvd from CEX for just

I don't think I've regularly bought CDs since Music Zone closed down. I used to spend a fair bit in there, but I seldom buy anything from HMV. I got my 3DS from there, and will buy my next game for it from there as I've got a gift voucher and Pure points to put towards it. On the 3DS launch night, I was tempted to get some Blu Rays in the 2 for

Archived