The Worst of ECW

Cobra1000

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Anything to do with The Gangsters. Also weren't Insane Clown Posse briefly in ECW

How dare you? ICP were great in ECW.

The worst thing by far for me was the Mass Transit incident. It's fucking horrible to watch that shit. The image of him laying out on the mat with blood pouring out of that hole in his head :( There was no need for it.

To be honest, alot of stuff in ECW wasnt exactly amazing really.

Might just be me, but apart from a few decent matches over the years, ECW is/was way over hyped for how much in contributed to wrestling.

Well unless of course you look at the affect it had on the attitude era of WWE, and the fact it bringing the more edgy content inspired the big two to push their own envelope, leading to the biggest boom period wrestlings ever had, and in all likelyhood ever will have. With stone cold admitting he nicked some of his character from the sandman, and his finisher from mikey whipwreck.

So yeah, as long as you ignore all that, way over hyped.

• Paid Members

To be honest though, really?

I know they blatent stole a few bits from them, but i think as a whole ECW didnt have alot of impact at all really. A handfull of guys went on to do well from it, and the style of wrestling was around before ecw anyway, and would of most likely turned up in WWE.

The Attitude era of WWE wasn't all based on ECW.

I'm sure it could be argued that if it were not for ECW, Steve Austin wouldn't have gone on to play the 'Stone Cold' character which obviously played a huge part in the success of the WWF in its greatest ever period, both financially and artistically. After he'd been sacked by WCW, Heyman gave Austin a platform which allowed him to truly shine. Were it not for ECW, Austin could have ended up back in WCW as a career-long mid carder. Obviously you can say "What if?" about most things and I am a firm believer that those with true talent will always rise to the top but I don't think it would be fair to say that Heyman/ECW didn't at least play some part in paving the way for the 'Stone Cold' gimmick.

ECW did play a huge role in changing the wrestling landscape forever, that is true no matter what anybody says.

• Paid Members

I agree that ECW had it moments, and by all means it did reach out and speak to people. But i think Paul heyman did a good job in creating "Hype" for ECW, as again other than a handfull of decent-ish guys there, the actual shows/matches were mostly a bit rubbish. Thats not to say they didnt have good matches, as there was a fair few decent matche.

As for ECW paving the way for Austin? That is another debate in itself. Austin did get sacked from WCW, and spent a brief period in ECW. There he played a more serious charecter.

Although ultimately Austin was signed by WWE, and played the ringmaster for a ammount of time, then turning to the stone cold gimmick. So wheather or not that came from ecw or a meeting with creative, is again another question.

I think on the hole, ECW had some good ideas, a few good matches with a handfull of decent guys, that by all means larger companies had there eye on.....most likely due to heyman giving ECW so much hype. Although for this particular topic i would say looking back there is more bad than good, but take that as you will

How much worth you think the actual product had is debatable, certainly. However how much influence it had on wrestling as a whole, well if even Vnce McMahon has come out and admiitted using their ideas and repackaging them into the attitude era, which was the biggest boom period in wrestling, pretty much ever, you can't really intelligently argue against what a massive contribution it made to wrestling.

Good at promoting in the sense that Heyman managed to make people think that what they were seeing was new and fresh, when at times it wasn't, and that it was awesome, when at times it certainly wasn't. That's the legacy of ECW. The fact that they managed to make people they were unique and special, whether they were or not, that's difficult to create.

The worsto f ECW is that such a thing could only ever be a fad. Their whole premise meant it could never really survive. For me at least. I realise other people will disagree with that and argue if Heyman wasn't a lousy business man they'd have carried on but I think they were always destined for a crash. That and they made the mistake which various promotions have made over the years and thought they were bigger than they were. That's how I've always seen the TNN mess. The network mighth ave screwed them around but ECW wasn't ready for it anyway. Sometimes TV isn't the be all and end all.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't say it would be the worst but Shane Douglas in-ring stuff was always pretty awful for me.

Most of the matches that seemed great at the time haven't stood the test of time either. It's almost impossible to watch an ECW PPV all the way through nowadays.

Spiro Greco FTW though!

I was watching The 3 Way Dance from 1995 the other week. A pretty good show with some great bits and some not so great.

But by far the worst part of the show was the 911 chokelsam-a-thon. My god that guy was so bad he couldn't even chokeslam a few jobbers properly. Yet he was super over and remained so for quite a while.

Was never a big fan of Damian Kaine(sp?) and the Rottens matches havent held up that well but i do understand that at the time the got alot of press but i think that was due to the photos in magazines mainly as opposed to the actual matches, very similar to WWC in Puerto Rico getting over with the gory pics that went to print.

Archived