Eurovision Song Contest

johnnyboy

• Paid Members

Yes UKFFers, Eurovision week is upon us once again with Semi-Final 1 tomorrow, Semi-Final 2 on Thursday and the Grand Final on Saturday night.

My top tunes in bold.

Semi-Final 1 - Tues 10th May - BBC Three/BBC HD 8pm

1. POLAND - Magdalena Tul, "Jestem" -

2. NORWAY - Stella Mwangi, "Haba Haba" -

3. ALBANIA - Aurela Ga

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Bloody great to have it back. What's the totty quota like this year?

High. Slovakia have a nice pair of Twins ("Twiins"). I don't think they'll get out of the semi though :(

Lena would be the first back to back champion if she did manage to pull it off this year. In fairness its not too bad a song www.paddypower.com have her at 14/1 to do the double though still after a year she cant make up her mind exactly what accent shes signing in.

My five to watch for are:

1. Turkey - Yuksek Sadakat - Live It Up

2. Germany - Lena - Taken By A Stranger

3. UK - Blue - I Can

4. Malta - Glen Vella - One Life (Yes they were robbed when Ira Losco sang 7th Wonder in 2002)

5. Croatia - Daria Kinzer - Celebrate

• Paid Members
Lena would be the first back to back champion if she did manage to pull it off this year. In fairness its not too bad a song www.paddypower.com have her at 14/1 to do the double though still after a year she cant make up her mind exactly what accent shes signing in.

It would also be the first back to back nation since the Irish in the mid 90s. 14/1 is quite long for something as high profile that doesn't have to come through a semi.

I'm with you on Germany and the UK. The other 3 of my overall top 5 are Serbia, Azerbaijan and Slovenia (which is quite Aguilera-esque) and my kids absolutely love the Danish entry.

Thing with the Jedward song is that it's very well produced, and it's got that eurovision type of vibe to it that might actually catch a lot of votes. Depends on how the performance on the night is though, it's produced to fuck and with it being a live performance their weak vocals will be very exposed (kinda like what happened to Gemini).

Really like the Lena song, that's a strong contender but I've yet to make my way through the full list yet.

Portugal's entry is pure shitbox, I'm sure it's wonderfully satirical if I understood the language but without that it looks like a foreign musical remake of 'allo 'allo.

Turkey's song is laughably catchy, shame about the awful lyrics

The Swiss bird has forgotten that it's 2011 and nobody gives a shit about Jack Johnson any more.

As much as I'd like a good showing from the UK for once, I really really hate fucking Blue so it's hard to jump on board.

It's not the same now without El Tel's tipsy commentary either.

• Paid Members
I'm just watching the Secret History of Eurovision that was on More 4 the other day. The years have not been kind to Ruslana :(

I've just whacked this on actually. bit of research for my eurovision review for my tv blog this sunday :)

Archived