Your Top 5 WORST Movie Sequals

Kata Ha Jime

Blues Brothers 2000

This was never going to be as good as the original. For starters, Jon Belushi was dead. Cab Calloway was dead. Frank Oz was dead. John Candy was dead. Etc...

John Goodman was actually pretty decent in it, I'll give him that. However, the PC-pleasing inclusion of the child and gratuiously token black guy was uncomfortably forced, the plot was just unenjoyably stupid, and the lazy rehashing of gags from the first film just made the 95% of Blues Brothers 2000 unnecessary.

Frank Oz isnt dead, afaik. He was also in the film the warden at the start of BB2000

HIMYM is one of the biggest shows on TV. Granted none of the others have done too much of note (Although Michelle's sister from the wedding is in Mad Men, another huge show) but Alyson Hannigan is a star, no doubt about it.

Biggest shows where? US? Here? Catch it on E4 occasionally but seems to be on the graveyard slot over here and isnt ranked massively highly in the states according to wikipedia So am a bit confused

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Blues Brothers 2000

This was never going to be as good as the original. For starters, Jon Belushi was dead. Cab Calloway was dead. Frank Oz was dead. John Candy was dead. Etc...

John Goodman was actually pretty decent in it, I'll give him that. However, the PC-pleasing inclusion of the child and gratuiously token black guy was uncomfortably forced, the plot was just unenjoyably stupid, and the lazy rehashing of gags from the first film just made the 95% of Blues Brothers 2000 unnecessary.

Frank Oz isnt dead, afaik. He was also in the film the warden at the start of BB2000

I was about to concede that maybe he wasn't dead when BB2000 was made (and if he's in it, then there's not really any "maybe" about it), but it seems that he isn't dead at all. Not sure why I've thought he was for years.

BB2000 still shouldn't have been made though.

• Paid Members

Nominations for Predator 2 and Robocop 2 aside (they're both great fun), these are pretty much as expected. Glad to see Alien 3 not garnering any mentions, because it's brilliant.

• Paid Members

Star Wars Episode 1

A 2 hour toy commercial. The argument that it was aimed at children is undermined by the fact that the bulk of the sub-plot is political. Things that are wrong with it include: Terrible racial stereotypes, annoying child actor, Letting George Lucas script it, Letting George Lucas direct it, Jar Jar Binks!

Weekend At Bernies 2

Voodoo Bernie

The Sting II

I dont even know why they bothered

Staying Alive

Random sequel to Saturday night Fever directed by Stallone. His brother Frank did the soundtrack

• Paid Members

Chokeout, out of interest have you been Googling Worst sequels?

Gladstone, it is widely regarded that Alien 3 is actually rather great, personally preferred the workprint version myself. It's Alien Resurrection thats the bad sequel.

• Paid Members
Gladstone, it is widely regarded that Alien 3 is actually rather great, personally preferred the workprint version myself. It's Alien Resurrection thats the bad sequel.

It's undergone some reappraisal in some quarters but it was massively panned on its release and is still hated in many quarters.

The funny thing about it is that I can see why people would hate it because of the storyline decisions it makes and the ropey special effects. But I've liked it since I bought a pirate copy of it in Malta for

• Paid Members

not really feeling the Robocop 2 nominations, i got time for that movie...Clarence Boddicker is one of the great 80's movie villains, Robocop 3 however...

• Paid Members
Chokeout, out of interest have you been Googling Worst sequels?

Nope. I was a massive Star Wars fan, however I have never been able to sit through any of the new trilogy since seeing them in the cinema, they ruined the franchise. Its not coincidence that the best film in the franchise was the one Lucas had least to do with (Empire).

Have you seen Weekend at Bernies 2, they put his corpse in a suitcase and take it on holiday!

My love for the Sting has been mentioned a few times in the film thread, the sequel is barely ever mentioned, did it have a cinema release in this country?. Just everything about it is wrong.

I'll also add The Philipelphia Experement 2 to my list. Still the worst film I have ever seen

Alien3 was slated to hell on its original release. Its only really started to get more positive responses since Fincher got more popular and the production / studio arguments came to light (I remember Empire and I think Hotdog magazine going on about problems at the time). The studio has all but admitted its mistakes by making the documentaries for the DVDs & Blu Rays and putting together the Fincher cut

Also Robocop 2 is ace

• Awards Moderator
Blues Brothers 2000

I was about to concede that maybe he wasn't dead when BB2000 was made (and if he's in it, then there's not really any "maybe" about it), but it seems that he isn't dead at all. Not sure why I've thought he was for years.

BB2000 still shouldn't have been made though.

Rubbish. The soundtrack for BB2000 alone gives it a bye from any 'worst' list. Yeah, the film itself is crap (John Landis himself has said as much) but it's clearly all about the music - Landis must have known the shitness of the film and poured his focus into the songs, and ended up with some absolute belters. The Blues Traveler song has the single greatest piece of harmonica playing I've ever heard, you've got Sam Moore AND James Brown singing gospel, Dr John in the swamps, Eddie Floyd and Wilson Pickett singing with Jonny Lang... there are songs on the soundtrack album that either barely feature or aren't in the film at all, and every one's a cracker. And I maintain that the Blues Brothers Band does my favourite version of 'Riders in the Sky'.

... Hell, the Louisiana Gator Boys scene alone justifies BB2000's existence. It's sublime. I mean, fucking hell, who wouldn't wish to see a band featuring BB King, Clapton, Winwood, Isaac Hayes, Bo Diddley, Billy Preston, Dr John, Jimmie Vaughan AND Clarence Clemons (amongst many others)? Greatest supergroup ever bar none, and a one-time-only event (especially now considering Diddley, Hayes, Koko Taylor and possibly one or two others are dead).

It also has one great line from Elwood: "You may go if you wish. But remember this: walk away now and you walk away from your crafts, your skills, your vocations; leaving the next generation with nothing but recycled, digitally-sampled techno-grooves, quasi-synth rhythms, pseudo-songs of violence-laden gangsta-rap, acid pop, and simpering, saccharine, soulless slush. Depart now and you forever separate yourselves from the vital American legacies of Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Jimmy Reed, Memphis Slim, Blind Boy Fuller, Louis Jordan, Little Walter, Big Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson I and II, Otis Redding, Jackie Wilson, Elvis Presley, Lieber and Stoller, and Robert K. Weiss... Turn your backs now and you snuff out the fragile candles of blues, R&B and soul, and when those flames flicker and expire, the light of the world is extinguished because the music which has moved mankind through seven decades leading to the millennium will wither and die on the vine of abandonment and neglect."

Robert K. Weiss was the producer who convinced Aykroyd and Landis not to quit the film. So yeah, everyone knows the film itself isn't good. But it's the music you watch it for! I've probably watched the whole film twice, maybe three times, but I've listened to that soundtrack hundreds of times. And that's why it doesn't deserve to be here - it's got one very significant, massively justifiably brilliant redeeming feature.

I don't really have much film hate going on so I dunno if I'll come up with five but I'll try.

Robocop 3 - No enjoyment in here, PG rated action and they kill Lewis off (bit like killing Inspector Todd in Beverly Hill Cop 3, I didn't feel it was needed). Don't know if it was intended to set up the series that quickly followed or not but it was all a steaming turd compared to the original movie.

Nemesis 2 - (And 3 & 4 for that matter) Nemesis is a cult movie which owes alot to Terminator, full of low budget actors (plus a young Tom Jane) but with some fun memorable sequences it fits aside Cyborg as cheap and enjoyable Albert Pyun films. The 3 sequels are barely connected, probably cost nothing to make, hell the third one is made up of left over footage from Part 2 and the 4th is only 65mins long. Here's the Trailer which contains pretty much anything of note from the movie (plus shots from the original movie to beef it up more) and highlights the Predator knock off as the villain, unless seeing bodybuilder Sue Price all sweaty in the desert is your thing, avoid. Whats even worse is that Pyun wrote and directed them all, he's capable of better than that shite.

Universal Soldier: The Return - I'll forget about the TV movie Part 2 & 3 because its so long since I saw them I can't recall how bad they were. I liked the 4th entry when it came out mainly for Goldberg, he was amusing, hell he super kicks Sylvester Terkay at one point. But once that novelty wears off, its an atrocious film. I'll only acknowledge the Lundgren featured entries nowadays.

Roadhouse 2: Last Call - Dalton is dead, his son does the same shit as his dad in the first. Pointless film missing the charm of the original.

American Ninja 5 - While I have a soft spot for the other 4 movies especially Part 2, this one wasn't even related, just a cack film starring David Bradley that was given the name to cash in, and so Bradley obviously plays a different character than he does in AN 3 & 4 and this confuses fans who think they are getting another AN installment.

Nominations for Predator 2 and Robocop 2 aside (they're both great fun), these are pretty much as expected. Glad to see Alien 3 not garnering any mentions, because it's brilliant.
I'll salute this post too, couldn't have said it better myself. All 3 films are ace.

• Paid Members
Every American Pie Sequel after II. All shit thus far! One has Louisa Lytton in (Yes, the small bint from East Enders and the Bill) Plans are afoot for an American Pie Reunion Film, possibly because none of the American Pie team has gone on to amount to anything, ever. So Alyson Hannigan was in it and now stars in How I met your Mother. She was in Date Movie and that is bad enough, and Buffy seems such a long time ago.

I gotta disagree on a few points here. I've actually really enjoyed ALL the American Pie films, it was clear they weren't big screen blockbusters once they became "American Pie Presents" but they were still funny. The kid in Band Camp was very believable as Stiffler's brother, I was totally able to buy into it. The Book Of Love was actually a very good story too and of course every film benifits from having Jim's Dad! Christ I'd watch them forever just for a few pearls from Mr Levenstein!

Also I don't know how you can say none of them have amounted to anything since? Sean William Scott (Stiffler) has done no end since American Pie, and not just tiny little back of the self straight to DVD movies either. Mr Woodcock, Role Models, Dukes of Hazzard, Welcome To The Jungle, Old School, Dude Where's My Car, Final Destination. That's just naming the ones I liked.

Men in Black II

Oh dear Lord, yes.

So no one else looking forward to MIB: 3D?

Superman Returns: I really, really wanted to like this film, but it totally failed to capture any magic. Louis Lane was badly cast/written, it was muddled as to when this film is set, at times it came across as though it was back the 40's/50's. It tried to do too much and failed. My God the suit, I hate that suit, it would be fine if they hadn't made it so dark. Superman is not the dark knight, he is a much more colourful character.

It's only positives were Brandon Routh and Kevin Spacey, the latter being superb as Lex!

• Paid Members
Kris in "loving and finding deep meaning in the shitty American Pie sequels" shocker. Have a marathon whilst sporting your "Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls" t-shirt did you?

Who said anything about deep meaning? :confused:

Archived