Forgotten Gems

truthofsin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mankind vs Shawn Michaels from "Mind Games"

Not sure why but I love that match.

All great calls so far. I also recently rewatched Shawn V Diesel from IYH 7 and thought that was a really good match that never gets any light shone on it these days. Much better than their Wrestlemania 11 effort.

I've always thought those two matches get loads of credit for being amazing matches.

I wouldnt class either match as forgotten due to both being held in quite high regard and appearing on WWE DVD releases (multiple times in the case of Mankind/HBK)..

But my next choice probably falls into that same category.. a few years back PWTorch did a 'best WWE PPV match of all time' deal that involved readers emailing in their picks for best PPV match. All votes were counted and a top 100 was created from said results.. A match i voted for did not appear in the countdown at all and its been a pet peeve of mine ever since due to it being a favourite of mine..

Mankind vs Undertaker - King of the Ring 1996

This match often gets overlooked in favour of the Hell in Cell from 98 or the Boiler Room or Buried Alive bouts from later in 96. As great a spectacle as the cell was, i just dont rate it as a great match and i feel the KOR96 bout just has something about it that wasnt matched in any of their return bouts (with the possible exception of the In Your House 14 match which deserves an honorable mention here)..

Shameless double post from the SmackDown moments thread :

The stunning 2/3 falls match between Benoit/Angle and Edge/Misterio match that gets forgotten compared to the first match at No Mercy.

The Matt Hardy v Misterio match where Rey Rey finally captured the then-important Cruiserweight title after a lengthy chase despite interference from Shannon Moore & Crash.

The WGTT v Misterio/Kidman rematch that gets forgotten, even though everyone remembers the Vengeance match.

Wow, I used to love the puny rat of Tijuana it seems.

Though not enough to spell his name properly.

There was an Edge vs. Randy Orton match on a 2007 Raw just after Rated RKO split. It was cracking, much better than any of their efforts last year.

Yes! I remember this. I think it was the week after the Cena vs Michaels hour-long borefest in London, because Orton vs Edge was advertised as the main event for the London show. I remember thinking that was odd, because I'd read that Orton had already been sent home from the European tour for being a cunt. Anyway, JC and HBK took up the rest of the show, and Edge vs Orton happened the next week. I really liked that match.

• Paid Members

That's by choice. He was "Rey Misterio Jr" in Mexico, ECW and WcW.

I'm never writing "Rhyno" or "Hardy Boyz" either.

• Paid Members
But my next choice probably falls into that same category.. a few years back PWTorch did a 'best WWE PPV match of all time' deal that involved readers emailing in their picks for best PPV match. All votes were counted and a top 100 was created from said results.. A match i voted for did not appear in the countdown at all and its been a pet peeve of mine ever since due to it being a favourite of mine..

Mankind vs Undertaker - King of the Ring 1996

This match often gets overlooked in favour of the Hell in Cell from 98 or the Boiler Room or Buried Alive bouts from later in 96. As great a spectacle as the cell was, i just dont rate it as a great match and i feel the KOR96 bout just has something about it that wasnt matched in any of their return bouts (with the possible exception of the In Your House 14 match which deserves an honorable mention here)..

That 96 match is ace, really good fun and still holds up well, or did last time I watched it.

I also really enjoy there match at IYH 14, a top suggestion. Foley going head first through a table always sticks with me.

I remember Triple H and Shawn Michaels having a great match on the last Raw of 2003. Probably their best match (after Summerslam 2002), even though it's been a while since I've seen it. Another forgotten gem is Bret Hart/Bulldog at In Your House 5. Cracking and brutal match which will always live in the shadow of their match at Wembley at Summerslam 1992.

My favourite match of all time is Bret - Austin from Survivor Series 96. It gets criminally overlooked due to the awesome WM13 submission match between the 2.

I agree, both are great. I'm also gonna say the Austin Vs Kurt Angle match from Summerslam 2001 and Sid Vs Bret Hart from In Your House 12.

That's by choice. He was "Rey Misterio Jr" in Mexico, ECW and WcW.

. And he definitely wasn't "Rey Misterio Jr" in any of the matches you were talking about in this thread. I wasn't sure if it was just a mis-spelling or if it really was the same thing as those people who call Evan Bourne Matt Sydal.

• Paid Members
Not always in WCW, he wasn't. And he definitely wasn't "Rey Misterio Jr" in any of the matches you were talking about in this thread.

True, WcW occasionally put "Mysterio" instead of "Misterio." They also occasionally put "Eddy" instead of the more-commonly used "Eddie" for Mr Guerrero, started out (as your video shows) calling Ultimo Dragon "Ultimate Dragon", sometimes but not always Americanized "Psicosis" into "Psychosis," once had an on-screen graphic that declared Lex Luger & The Giant as "WcW Tag Team Champions" when they weren't... need I go on?

I'm consistent. I've always spelled his name "Misterio," and always will. Well, unless he renames himself Bob.

Back when the Smackdown 6 were tearing it up in 2002, Edge Vs Eddie Guerrero in a No DQ match in San Diego where they received a standing ovation at the end, absolute classic.

Archived