Jeff Jarrett

Loki

I think Jarrett has always had a decent amount of talent. He has always had some really great promos but i have to say he really struggled in WWF for what i feel is 2 reasons the first being that although Jerry Jarrett is on good terms Vince i don't think vince ever wanted to give Jeff a serious push because of his idea that he never made Jeff even with the backing of his friend Russo. While the second being his own ego allowing him to think he is the best wrestler in a company and needing to be in that top spot. This is a guy who jumped to a failing WCW as he was friends with the Head Booker.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
While the second being his own ego allowing him to think he is the best wrestler in a company and needing to be in that top spot. This is a guy who jumped to a failing WCW as he was friends with the Head Booker.

Who wouldnt? If the top wrestler tells you that he doesnt want to work with you and you've been offered more money, a main event position and your friend running the company? That isnt ego. Thats being a good business man. Jarrett's a proud man as well. He walked out on the WWF in 1995 because his pride got the better of him after they told him their plans to finish his gimmick. Austin should have worked with Jarrett. Its not like Hogan and Rock never worked with deadheads who. Rock drew money with Benoit and Hogan had a PPV main event with fucking BEEFCAKE and still drew with it. If Austin couldnt draw with Jarrett it would have said as much about Austin as it did Jarrett. Anyway, the D'Lo vs Jeff was better than the Triple H vs Austin program going on at the time. Actually Jarrett had quite a good 1999. He was worth at least having a spin on in 1999. WWF would have had a far better chance of turning him into a main event player than WCW did.

I remember the WWE took the IC title off him at a house show once, and announced it at the pay per view 2 days later. That was strange.

In other news, I was always a massive fan of JJ. Good schtick, believable talker and as Chuckles suggested, worked a story based style where he didn't do much, but everything he did meant something. I imagine he'd be an absolute dream to work with.

I remember the WWE took the IC title off him at a house show once, and announced it at the pay per view 2 days later. That was strange.

Edge won it at the house show for a hometown pop, and Jeff won it back the next night at the pay-per-view.

Edge won it at the house show for a hometown pop, and Jeff won it back the next night at the pay-per-view.

Ai. I think it was also to accommodate a ppv story lime in which all the champions were cursed (I.e. All the champions lost) thus building anticipation for a possible world title change on the night. I admit my memory is a touch fuzzy on this one.

Jeff Jarrett is NOTHING more then a glorified mid carder. I have only seen three main event cailbar matches from him two with Kurt Angle and one with AJ Styles. I was re-reading Shawn Michaels book today and he talked about a match he had with Jarrett over the IC title although its not a main event match I might watch it to see if I can add one more to him.

• Paid Members
Well he did, back when main eventers had charisma, he might fit right in now.

What WWE main eventers in recent years don't have charisma?

Sheamus, Khali, Swagger, Kane.

What WWE main eventers in recent years don't have charisma?

Perhaps controversially I would argue that Orton lacks charisma, he was alright during his run as the legend killer and the gimmick (and Mick Foley) really got him and his character over, but the guy still can't cut a really good promo and his whole "intense" thing he's got going isn't really working for me at all, Cena is probably 5x the interview and character that Orton is. Bit harsh to say Sheamus doesn't have charisma either, as I think he's been good/funny on the mic and has shown improvement over the last year and developed his character. As for Jarrett I never understood why people thought he couldn't be a main eventer, the guy is great in the ring, he can cut a good to great promo when required, he can be funny, serious, heel, face and engages the crowd during his matches. He's easily one of the most well rounded and consistent wrestlers of the last 15 years.

Still a little pissed off to this day that Jarrett's propsed feud with Austin got fucked off, considering Austin bitched more then his fair share about being held back in the past he didn't seem to have a problem cutting overs off himself.

I think Jarrett could have gotton over as a main eventer in WCW if it wasn't for the scatter brain booking that was going on that time and regardless of his position on the card (there was a time where I was sick of him in TNA's main event scene) he is one of the most dependable in ring talents in the buisiness imo.

• Paid Members

Jarrett was, and is, one of the more intelligent, talented and versatile guys I've ever seen in pro wrestling. Maybe from bell to bell not completely dynamic - you pretty much know what you're going to get, reliable but not spectacular. But it's all about the storytelling. Perhaps not the ins and outs and the match that's happening, but the reasons for it happening, your reason to care about who wins, getting excited near the end because you're emotionally invested. Jarrett is one of the best for that. From megalomaniac World champion superheel to THE WORLDS GREATEST SINGER to humble "I lost everything" babyface bloke to deluded MMA wannabe, the man is incredible.

He's solid, but nothing special.

I remember somebody on here describing him as the perfect midcarder, I agree. He's always been solid at everything but lacks that little extra to make him 'main event'.

NOTHING more then a glorified mid carder.

All descriptions or criticisms I've heard used towards Christian - fuck me, show me those comments and I'd think it was a Christian thread - who has recently been involved in plenty of telly main events and just won a World title on a WWE PPV.

In the era we seem to be in, where if you're halfway decent you eventually get a run as a reward for years of service and contribution, had Jeffy been seen as useful to Vince back in 2001, you can't tell me we'd be sat here in a world where RVD and Christian and even fucking Bradshaw got their turn and Show and Kane a second run at it, and Jarrett wouldn't have had his time to shine. He'd bring more to a program in WWE today than Swagger, Sheamus, Ziggler or JoMo, who while they might have had plenty of decent matches bell-to-bell, have yet to make me care about a single storyline between them.

Reading that back, I am now terrified that Mark Henry will now get a title reign to reward him for his 15 years of "hard work."

I think saying he's solid but nothing special is not giving Jeff Jarrett enough credit. I always wanted Jarrett to come back to WWE and show up on Raw, smashing Triple H with a guitar over the face and beginning a feud in which Jarrett would be an even bigger bastard than Trips was during the early brand split/Evolution era.

I miss D'Lo Brown more, but Jarrett is great. He still brings out feelings I had with the likes of Ted DiBiase and Mr.Perfect when I was a kid - this guy is a dick and I want to see him get his head kicked in. I've never found him irritating like I often do with Michael Cole, and I've always enjoyed his in-ring stuff. Come on, how cool would it be if Zach Ryder finally got a segment on Raw, he's talking himself up and declaring himself the new saviour of Monday nights, then THAT music hits and Ryder turns around and gets killed with a Jarrett guitar-shot special. I just want to hear the theme music again really, and Jerry Lawler squealing, "Wait, does that mean Debra is here too?! I hope so! PUPPIEEEEES!"

I believe during the time that Jarrett would have never added anything to a feud with Austin.If WWE had a willingness to push Jarrett as a true main eventer then a Jarrett/Austin feud would have happened.Due to his associations with Vince Russo and ownership of TNA I can never accept him as a World Champion or as a heel.His got solid in ring work but overall his average at best.

• Paid Members

Haven't read the whole thread but I'm sure the match with Shawn Michaels has come up a lot. Liked his matches with Razor and his ladder match with Benoit too. Even thought his Good Housekeeping match with Chyna was better than it should've been tbh.

And I was a bit of a fan of his tag team with Owen in 99. Some good little matches on Raw and the short match they had with Test & D'Lo at WM 15 was fun for what it was.

Cracking dropkick Jeffrey has too, up there with Bob Holly's for me.

Funny thing is that if he'd stuck around another month in late 99 Austin would go off tv for a year, he might have gotten the slot in the Survivor Series 3way instead of Big Show (imo it should have been test), HHH (the top heel) was working with Vince and The Rock wasnt up to much apart from tagging and an Al Snow feud, So him vs Rock could've been a decent feud to tide them over for a few months.

Archived