Jeff Jarrett

Loki

That was the spot, apparently, it's just Angle nearly fucked it up. Put it this way - which of them is better known for that sort of dangerous spot?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was the spot, apparently, it's just Angle nearly fucked it up. Put it this way - which of them is better known for that sort of dangerous spot?

Jarrett dropped and nearly spiked him due to Angle perspiring - not the most clever move to perform when someone is slippy is it?

Back in the WWE he blew it when he asked for extra money to put Chyna over on his last night. Plus it got reported that creative had previously suggested he fued with Austin but Austin had said no because he didnt feel Jeff was "at his level" i.e draw money

• Paid Members

From the last Jeff Jarrett thread..

Love him. Always have. Jeff's one of the more underappreciated wrestlers of the last 20 years. Everyone (rightfully) raves about how good WCW's undercard was back in the day, but around 96/97 Jeff was as good any of them, week to week he'd be in good-great matches, but what set him apart from the rest for me was his ability to work a crowd. After he jumped back to the WWF he managed to improve on it further, I think people forget just how over the guy was towards the end of his run there, he was ready for a main event run, but for whatever reason (Austin POLITICKZ!!/ Russo leaving) it didn't work out. A lot of people say they wouldn't have "bought him" at the top of the card, but considering Bossman was put in that role a few months later I think he'd do alright,. The product was so hot at the time I think they could have gave anyone a trial run without any ill effect.

As for his WCW run, I enjoyed most of it, he was the one true constant, standout, chickenshit heel, at a time when everyone else seemed to be turning every couple of days. I liked his title runs too, again, people will say they didn't buy it or that it was a failiure, but given that WCW's business was in the shitter, and didn't drop drastically anytime he was at the top, he should be commended for at least steadying a sinking ship (for a couple of weeks anyway). In fact, the only dramatic drop in business Jarrett was involved in was when he lost the title and people stopped buying tickets for Slamboree. Granted, it may have been because he dropped it to Arquette, but it should still be mentioned.

I haven't seen much of the pre-Orlando TNA stuff that alot of people still moan about, but it seems like great booking to me, keep your established heel at the top (King Of The Mountain if you weeel), until you build up (or bring in) a babyface big enough to dethrone him, I doubt the Sting Bound For Glory title win would have been half as good if Double J hadn't have had as dominant a reign beforehand. Since returning in 2008 the guy's been as good as he ever was in-ring, the two matches he had with Kurt Angle are up there with the best the promotion's ever put on (I'd say the street fight IS the best TNA match ever), and since re-turning heel last year his character work has been fantastic, a masterclass in how to be a heel.

Jeff Jarrett gets it.

I think he'd have done well, he wouldn't have became one of the top guys, but he'd be up there for sure, definitely would have had a few title runs. Let's say he stayed in 99, sure, the first few years he'd probably stay about the same level, but after the draft, and the roster (SD especially) getting weaker constantly, and the days of everyone and their aunties goldfish getting a title reign, he would have excelled. Put him on the other end of feuds with Rey, Taker (Jarrett's facial expressions could sell that by itself), Cena, Batista, DX, I don't think he'd look out of place. Give him the WHC title run in 06 ahead of King Booker, it would have been a million times better in every department.

I doubt we'd have ever seen him turn face though in WWE, which is a bloody shame, as he showed in 08/09 he could pull off the sympathetic babyface role as good as anyone did over the last decade. You have him do that in the big time, and there's no chance it doesn't get over.

Even if all those grand ideas didn't work out, and he was stuck in the midcard, he'd have been worth tuning in for, like always, and I think it would have done wonders for countless young guys 99-now to have been in the ring with him.

Oh, and I'll just say this here seen as Double J's on topic. That IYH match with Shawn is one of my favourites ever, I wouldn't put it up there as a "best match eva!!" candidate, but it's insanely watchable, and is exactly what wrestling should be, FUN, and could be enjoyed by anyone.

Oh, and I'll just say this here seen as Double J's on topic. That IYH match with Shawn is one of my favourites ever, I wouldn't put it up there as a "best match eva!!" candidate, but it's insanely watchable, and is exactly what wrestling should be, FUN, and could be enjoyed by anyone.

That match at IYH 2 vs. Michaels was VERY fun and for me an easy **** match. I also liked his tandem with The Roadie in 1995.

Heel Jarrett yes i think so because he plays it so well but face jarrett no. As the "Founder of TNA" he was just lacking the spark about him to say support me but as a heel you can buy into the "Ultra-Male" stuff because he does as has been mentioned play the chicken shit heel well

• Paid Members
Well he did, back when main eventers had charisma, he might fit right in now.

What WWE main eventers in recent years don't have charisma?

Sheamus, Khali, Swagger, Kane.

Sheamus, Khali, Swagger, Lashley?

• Paid Members

That "heat with Vince" thing is apparently all shite anyway. People have done worse things than what Jarrett did and were welcomed back. Vince went to Jeff's wifes funeral and Jeff says he still talks to Shane on a personal basics. I've never heard an interview where Jarrett states his hatred for Vince. He'd have probably have been forgiven if Jarrett never started TNA up, and he'd had talks with WWF in 2001. As far as his talent goes, Jarrett is far better than a lot of what is out there today. He's better on the mic than most of what you see on WWE. If Jarrett is bland and to midcard, what does that make Christian and the Miz? Jarrett's better on the mic and in the ring than the Miz and Christian, for me. He's been quality the last year, and is having a bit on an Indian Summer as far as his ring work. What made Jarrett supposedly bland in 1999/2000, isnt relevent in 2011, where there is countless no name cooker cutter norms knocking about.

Jarrett dropped and nearly spiked him due to Angle perspiring - not the most clever move to perform when someone is slippy is it?

It was all planned to make it look like a blown spot. That was how the spot was supposed to go. No way is Angle taking a direct power bomb from the top of the cage. It would have smashed his spine to pieces taking a flat back bump to the centre of the ring from that height. I'd say considering Angle broke Jarrett's ribs in the early part of the match and then fucked up the moonsault, Jarrett did well to keep his head in the match.

I think you may be a little harsh on Sheamus and Swagger as I think they both have plenty of charisma but you are straight on the money with Lashley... he is a chode.

• Paid Members

I've always liked Jarrett, especially when a few years ago he kept winning the NWA title and TNA fans moaned about him being over-exposed. His old 'Don't Piss Me Off' t-shirts still make me laugh when I see them. That match with D-Lo Brown from Raw is still brilliant and I always bust it out at least once a month. He's a brilliant serious and comedy promo. The MMA dojo was the best comedy skit TNA has done since Stone Cold Shark Boy's family visited him in hospital. He's still having quality matches now. And I've been looking up some of his old Memphis stuff recently too and he had some fantastic brawls back then.

I like him. A lot.

• Paid Members

What WWE main eventers...

Lashley maybe, still say that's clutching though.

None of the other guys are or were really WWE main eventers though.

I don't think they 'missed out', as such, he's just unlucky in that his peak years coincided with the best upper card talent pool the WWF had had in years (and far greater than they've had in the years following).

Would he have broken into the WWF main event when it consisted of Austin, Rock, Triple H, Undertaker, Angle, Foley and Jericho? Probably not. Would he have got a title run or two if he'd stuck around, considering Guerrero, Benoit, JBL, Miz, Swagger, Sheamus and Christian all got a go eventually? Almost certainly, but for what a WWE title run actually means these days, he's probably just as happy he left and made a go of his own company. Mind you, I think he'd have thrived in that upper-midcard niche with Benoit, Jericho, Guerrero and Angle in 2000.

It's all a matter of perspective. When Austin, Rock, Undertaker and HHH were dominating the WWF main event, it might have been a fair criticism to say that Jarrett lacked star presence or a credible physical threat, because compared to that lot he probably does. That's no longer valid when you factor people like Miz, Christian, Edge, RVD and Jeff Hardy into the main event picture in recent years.

I'm in a minority, but the 'Chosen One' run he had in WCW will always be a guilty pleasure of mine, and like Christian's 'Instant Classic' period in TNA, it's always nice to see one of your favourites get a run as THE man, no matter what company it's in.

Archived