Obscure / forgotten TV shows

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I just read in Empire in Kim Newman's Video Dungeon (the best bit of the magazine now, by the way) that they're newly releasing the absolutely ace ITV horror series Chiller on DVD this month. Here it is:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chiller-Complete-D...4256&sr=1-1

Did anyone see it first time round? The best one was the Martin Clunes one with the Satanic foetus, but they were all excellent.

An ITV comedy from a few years ago called 'Hardware' springs to mind, shown fairly late at night, with the likes of Martin Freeman and Ken Morley. It was fucking hilarious, set in a DIY shop and they got the characters and the humour spot on for both series.

Another late night comedy classic from that era was 'The Sketch Show', featuring Lee Mack and Tim Vine before they got more famous, I laughed for hours at some of those, with perhaps the best scene being their satirisation of 'California Dreaming' at the end of one of the episodes.

'Revelations' The most unintentionally hilarious late night soap on Central in the Mid 1990's utterly brilliant in an "They didnt do that did they? Why yes, yes they did! How shit can it be?" type way and was written by one Russell T Davies.

• Paid Members

There was an excellent sci-fi/drama called 'Chimera' that I remember watching as a kid. Shit me right up back then & I wouldn't mind rewatching it now. Another great mini-series in the same genre was 'First Born', it starred Charles Dance as a scientist who'd created the first human/ape hybrid.

Given that I've vague (at best) memories of these they might be utter shite if viewed now but I remember them being good (when I was about 11).

Attention Scum! with Simon Munnery was hilarious. Especially the 24 hour News, read by a man who'd been up for 24 hours (Johnny Vegas for you trivia fans).

I don't know how obscure or forgotton it was, but Monkey Dust is one of my all time favourite shows ever. It only ended up finishing because Harry Thompson sadly passed on.

Two that spring to mind are "The Estate Agents" which was on Channel 4 about 10 years ago, that starred the guy out of How Not To Live Your Life. Also "Vidz" which was some late night channel 4 cult film review show with a really tall Scottish guy and a Welsh fella. I used to enjoy spotting all the locations in & around Glasgow that I recognised. I'd love to watch some old episodes but can't find a torrent anywhere :(

Oh & Fantasy Football League as well. STATTO! STATTO STATTO!

• Paid Members
There was an excellent sci-fi/drama called 'Chimera' that I remember watching as a kid. Shit me right up back then & I wouldn't mind rewatching it now. Another great mini-series in the same genre was 'First Born', it starred Charles Dance as a scientist who'd created the first human/ape hybrid.

Given that I've vague (at best) memories of these they might be utter shite if viewed now but I remember them being good (when I was about 11).

Chimera used to shit me right up, there was a mini series version and a stripped down Feature length version.

Anyone remember That show that had John Creese from Karate kid as an alien exiled to earth with a little flying sidekick? Used to be on Sat afternoons before WCW

• Paid Members

The first thing that came to my mind was 'Shasta McNasty'.

It was a sky 1 programme in like the early 00's. I remember nothing apart from the theme song and an episode where one of the main cast tricked his girlfriend into getting fat (by changing food labels).

I loved it at the time.

There was a bizarre sketch show on ITV called Dare to Believe which was shown at about 2am in the morning. It gave wonderful advice like "Fly like a mouse, run like the cushion, be the small bookcase."

This. Loved it when I was inebriated during my student days.

I watched 'Chiller' but I'll be buggered if I can remember much about it.

I loved the early 90's show 'Bakersfield P.D'. It was like the missing link between Police Squad & Hill Street Blues, Cast of faces that are still floating about today, I had the whole run on VHS which I transferred to DVD. Its not out on official DVD but you can find it online/on YouTube. Here's a taster where William H. Macy tries to escape the clutches of the lovable but silly P.D. http://youtu.be/LTZqIkKSlSU

I also have on VHS and really need to watch again, 'Believe Nothing' with Rik Mayall as Professor Adonis Cnut. Was gonna buy the DVD but I see its on YouTube in its 6 episode entirety. One for Mayall fans if you have not seen it.

I also need to give American Gothic & Northern Exposure a download for old times sake.

Edit:

Anyone remember That show that had John Creese from Karate kid as an alien exiled to earth with a little flying sidekick? Used to be on Sat afternoons before WCW

'Hard Time On Planet Earth'. Its on the old YouTube also, was gonna watch it months ago but still haven't.

• Paid Members
I just read in Empire in Kim Newman's Video Dungeon (the best bit of the magazine now, by the way) that they're newly releasing the absolutely ace ITV horror series Chiller on DVD this month. Here it is:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chiller-Complete-D...4256&sr=1-1

Did anyone see it first time round? The best one was the Martin Clunes one with the Satanic foetus, but they were all excellent.

I remember the Martin Clunes episode, think it was the first one. On a quick side note i've always wondered why ITV never launched a ITV drama channel, they must have thousands of hours of original shows / tv series that they have only ever shown once

• Paid Members
An ITV comedy from a few years ago called 'Hardware' springs to mind, shown fairly late at night, with the likes of Martin Freeman and Ken Morley. It was fucking hilarious, set in a DIY shop and they got the characters and the humour spot on for both series.

Another late night comedy classic from that era was 'The Sketch Show', featuring Lee Mack and Tim Vine before they got more famous, I laughed for hours at some of those, with perhaps the best scene being their satirisation of 'California Dreaming' at the end of one of the episodes.

Two of the wankest shows I've ever seen.

There was an excellent sci-fi/drama called 'Chimera' that I remember watching as a kid. Shit me right up back then & I wouldn't mind rewatching it now.

Chimera (or... hah... 'Monkey Boy', as it was known in the USA) went to shit relatively quickly, but the first episode... holy shit. Don't know what my folks were thinking, I was 11 and it was the first time I was left home for the night whilst they went to a halloween party - I was given a chicken and chips dinner, some sweets, a bottle of coke, and then left in a thunderstorm to watch the videos my mum had gotten for me - Candyman and Night of the Living Dead - and then Chimera. In a thunderstorm.

Lost. And not the popular American TV show, but the Channel 4 race show which came out a couple of years before it. It was basically 3 sets of 2 people randomly dropped somewhere in Europe with no money or passports, and the first couple to make it back to London wins. It only ran for 1 series which I was really disappointed with because I applied to go on it with my Dad.

Archived