Smackdown Spoilers

iamtheman

Yes, because those two situations are of course intrinsically linked.

Stop being such babies the lot of you, there's clearly a story to be told by Christian losing the WHC so quickly, so why not sit back and enjoy it rather than throwing your toys out of the pram because a perennial mid-carder got his belt given to a perennial main-eventer.

I mean seriously, what did you think Randy Orton went to Smackdown to do? Fight Dolph Ziggler for 15 minutes every week?

How many times does the WWE say that we need to create new stars? How many times have the fans invested emotion into an up-and-comer only to see him chopped off at the knees (Kofi Kingston for instance).

You think theres a story to be told! I bet you an pound to a penny that this decsion to put the title on Orton was made at the last minute. There is no great story line arc, because that's not how they book!

Christain was someone who the fans could have got behind. He probably would have failed, but at least give him the chance to fail! How much of a boost would it have been if he had pinned Orton cleanly! You could not have had a better start to a title rain.

Instead of trying something fresh, they just went back to their lazy booking ways because that's what requires the least amount of effort!

Oh great! Another Orton/Sheamus fued!! How fresh and exciting is that!

Yes, because stars like Sheamus, Wade Barrett and The Miz just magically turned up in the main event did they?

Congratulations on being the one person who emotionally invested in Kofi Kingston though, at least we know who's fault it was that he got those 3 weeks at the top.

How can you say there's no great storyline arc when you haven't even seen this week's show yet, never mind next weeks? And where did this magical Sheamus/Orton feud come from? I'd put my house on it being Orton vs Christian at the next PPV, but that's just me and my crazy booking ideas.

How much of boost would it be for Christian to cleanly pin Orton? Not as big of a knock down for Orton to be pinned by some skinny Canadian kid who looks like he couldn't knock a wank out.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I haven't really cared about Christian since his magnificent "CHRISTIAAAAAAAAAAAN!" entrance music, so people should calm down. He's far funnier and more effective as a heel.

The most important things about this show are Ezekiel winning and Mark Henry angling for a world title shot. NOW Smackdown is interesting.

dont see christian turning hell with there being only three top faces on the show (orton,kane and christian) unless they push daniel bryan (never going to happen) or turn someone face and i can only think of jackson at the moment

Thats bullshit was hoping he would have the belt till at least summerslam. Noing the WWE christian will probably go back to the mid card teaming with hornswoggle again or some shit

And all will be good with the world once more. I've never got the Christian hype, yeah he can work a decent match but thats all i've seen in him for years.

I do hope they make something out of this for a little while though, it'll look bad if he just vanishes completely.

• Paid Members

I think this will hopefully go a long way to establishing Christian as more than just an Edge tribute act, which is what this title run actually threatened to be. It'll be really interesting to see where they go from here with Christian. One thing I do love is the mass over-reaction from folks on here, twitter, Facebook and the like. Case in point:

Eric___Calcara_ Eric Calcara

@RandyOrton You won the title.Vince has no idea how much people are hating YOU on the Internet. I hope you continue to lose all your fans.

So from this tweet alone, I conclude that Orton will now become an internet heel yet maintain his status as a television babyface. He's working the internet and he isn't even trying. Matt Hardy, take some notes.

Although I am dissapointed I can see why WWE have done this and had been thinking about the future of smackdown. I personally thought they would turn Orton but this is obviouslly not the case now.

I looked at Smackdown and Christian and thought, who does he have to defend against. A weak new to the top champ needs credible challengers that are heels. Mark Henry and Khali are not. Rhodes isnt there yet. Barret &Sheamus needs a lot of rebuild and I thought may be the summer title feud on smackdown. Orton would have been to over as a face and would have to have tried to turn heel to even give christian a chance. It would have been Mysterio 2006 all over again.

So taking the belt of him quickly can provide a pissed off christian to turn heel and then go after orton with way more heat from where I see it. Good call WWE in my opinion

Surely I aint the only one that has never seen Christian as anything more than a midcarder? People can go on about building new stars but the lad just isn't going to ever get there. 12 years? He has been in WWE on and off and people are harpin on any "new" main eventers? Nothing new about that midcard act unfortunately

Surely I aint the only one that has never seen Christian as anything more than a midcarder? People can go on about building new stars but the lad just isn't going to ever get there. 12 years? He has been in WWE on and off and people are harpin on any "new" main eventers? Nothing new about that midcard act unfortunately

Why not give it a go though? He got a superb reaction at Extreme Rules when he won, and he's been getting decent reactions the last few weeks.

What WWE has in Christian is someone the fans recognise. We know his story and he has a strong fanbase. It's alright creating new stars, and they will, but in creating new stars you have to build up their fanbase, educate people on their story, with Christian he has all this already yet he hasnt been overexposed in the main event so he still feels fresh. So it's a case of building on that and seeing where he goes.

He prodices good matches consistently, theres no reason they couldnt run with him as champ to Over The Limit at least.

Of course if this is leading to Christian snapping and beating the fuck out of Randy Orton and attempting to get his belt back then fair enough, it could work better in the long run. I still think they should have gave him a chance as a face champ though.

I never understood this mentality. How long was Edge floating around the mid card? Jeff Hardy? RVD? Look at R-Truth. It doesn't matter how long you've been in the mid card for some people can make it work if they're given the opportunity and unfortunately Christian just hasn't had that opportunity which is a massive shame.

The thing people don't seem to be understanding is that they didn't have to book Christian as the Main Eventer for all the ages (ala Cena/Orton) but as the underdog face who FINALLY got his hands on the World Title.

He didn't have to have a Hogan 4 year run with the belt but a nice 2 months escaping with the belt (roll-up on Orton) before finally falling to more credible opposition at Capital Punishment (PPV after Over the Limit).

People would want to see him win the belt back after a nice taste of a 6 week Christian run, not 2 day bollocks. Where's the credibility in losing the belt straight away? How does this make Alberto Del Rio look? Even worse than before. It's been his 'destiny' to win the belt, fails twice and then the guy who beats him loses the belt in 2 days.

Christian is one of my favourite wrestlers and no, he is not a headliner, but he's the kind of wrestler who puts on great matches, can work with anyone and can occasionally dip his toes into the main even scene to freshen it up. They have other guys who do this like Rey Mysterio (9 years in WWE, 2 short World title reigns), Big Show (12 Years, 2 Short reigns), Kane (13 years and until last year only 1, 1 day reign), Morrison (No reigns yet) and it used to be the Jericho (2002-Mid 2008 without a World title win) role. The fans want some of these guys to win the World Title once in a while to have a change from Cena/Orton/HHH in the last 7 years.

Christian will probably never be the World Champion again and deserved much better than having the rug pulled out from him before he even started. I got one evening of enjoying of of my favourite wrestlers achieve his dream only to have that feeling shattered finding out today that he'd dropped the title. It does nothing for a face Randy Orton putting the belt on him now rather than in 6 weeks time.

It's one of the worst booking decisions I've ever encountered in wrestling, it just makes no sense.

• Paid Members
Yes, because those two situations are of course intrinsically linked.

Stop being such babies the lot of you, there's clearly a story to be told by Christian losing the WHC so quickly, so why not sit back and enjoy it rather than throwing your toys out of the pram because a perennial mid-carder got his belt given to a perennial main-eventer.

I mean seriously, what did you think Randy Orton went to Smackdown to do? Fight Dolph Ziggler for 15 minutes every week?

How many times does the WWE say that we need to create new stars? How many times have the fans invested emotion into an up-and-comer only to see him chopped off at the knees (Kofi Kingston for instance).

You think theres a story to be told! I bet you an pound to a penny that this decsion to put the title on Orton was made at the last minute. There is no great story line arc, because that's not how they book!

Christain was someone who the fans could have got behind. He probably would have failed, but at least give him the chance to fail! How much of a boost would it have been if he had pinned Orton cleanly! You could not have had a better start to a title rain.

Instead of trying something fresh, they just went back to their lazy booking ways because that's what requires the least amount of effort!

Oh great! Another Orton/Sheamus fued!! How fresh and exciting is that!

Yes, because stars like Sheamus, Wade Barrett and The Miz just magically turned up in the main event did they?

Congratulations on being the one person who emotionally invested in Kofi Kingston though, at least we know who's fault it was that he got those 3 weeks at the top.

How can you say there's no great storyline arc when you haven't even seen this week's show yet, never mind next weeks? And where did this magical Sheamus/Orton feud come from? I'd put my house on it being Orton vs Christian at the next PPV, but that's just me and my crazy booking ideas.

How much of boost would it be for Christian to cleanly pin Orton? Not as big of a knock down for Orton to be pinned by some skinny Canadian kid who looks like he couldn't knock a wank out.

I hope I'm wrong, but you're striking me as the kind of poster who defends absolutely everything the WWE does in an aggressive - but articulate - manner just for the sake of it.

Firstly, you can't say there's 'clearly' a big storyline arc on the go here. As you say, people haven't seen this week's show, let alone next, so any criticism you're throwing at people for pre-judging can surely be thrown at you?

Look, even if there is some storyline arc on the go here chances are there was another way to arrive at it rather than throw the belt on Orton on his Smackdown debut. I don't know why they didn't go' with an experimental run with Christian just to see how his things went. It didn't have to be a long term thing, but to rip the belt off the guy straight away is a bit of a shame.

As for Kofi, plenty people bought into him - the reactions he was getting from the live audience pretty much shows that what you're saying is a load of nonsense

• Paid Members
Look, even if there is some storyline arc on the go here chances are there was another way to arrive at it rather than throw the belt on Orton on his Smackdown debut. I don't know why they didn't go' with an experimental run with Christian just to see how his things went. It didn't have to be a long term thing, but to rip the belt off the guy straight away is a bit of a shame.

Because, as has been speculated by several people in this thread, they might be turning him heel? And what better way than to have him lose his title straight away, make him bitter about the fact that Orton got an instant title shot when he turned up on Smackdown, and then have a proper feud against the babyface champion?

I hope I'm wrong, but you're striking me as the kind of poster who defends absolutely everything the WWE does in an aggressive - but articulate - manner just for the sake of it.

Firstly, you can't say there's 'clearly' a big storyline arc on the go here. As you say, people haven't seen this week's show, let alone next, so any criticism you're throwing at people for pre-judging can surely be thrown at you?

As for Kofi, plenty people bought into him - the reactions he was getting from the live audience pretty much shows that what you're saying is a load of nonsense

What I'm saying is don't throw your toys out the pram going 'They've taken the title off Christian after 2 days for NO REASON' when it's highly likely there is a furthering of Christian's story to come. From a personal perspective I don't see Christian as a WHC anyway, so I'm not really that bothered what they do with him, but people are acting like he's been dumped out the Main Event straight away by having the title taken off him so quickly. These things don't happen for no reason.

Archived