Raw Discussion 2/5/11

IANdrewDiceClay

RAW feels so much more 'big time' when The Rock is on. Even throwaway stuff like the opening and closing segments this week have had more of a must-see feel about them than just about any segment they've done since Wrestlemania. I don't think it's overkill, because when they have him, they should use him as much as possible - he still carries that aura from the Attitude era around with him when wrestling was something special, and the live crowds seem to respond in kind. Hopefully, some of the current crop will learn from him while he's around (Dolph Ziggler showed more personality in that segment with Rock than I've seen from him before).

Could not agree more :thumbsup:

Whilst Hogan and Austin may have drawn more in wrestling, I think Rock has more crossover appeal to the mainstream. More than any other wrestler who has worked for WWE. Lebron James, Steve Carrel, Samual Jackson and Jimmy Kimmel to name a few are as A-List as it gets in America.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It also sets out the next few months of John Cena programs, he is hell bent on keeping the WWE Championship so he can make 'Mania the biggest ever, if they play it right they can make the title matches mean something again. Lets hope John Cena keeps the belt for ages.

I couldn't agree more. I was bored sick of the last loooooong Cena reign in 2007, but it's exactly what the title needs right now. So much damage has been done to the title over the last 2-3 years that it's useless in terms of actually elevating people (is Miz really any more of a star now than he was when he was coming to the ring with 3 belts or the MITB briefcase?), and every Cena title victory means less than the one before it.

What better way to make the title seem like something meaningful again than a near year-long reign, culminating in being at the centre of one of the biggest matches in Wrestlemania history? Doing it any other way just makes it seem even more small-time, because the WWE title match would be at best the third-biggest match at Wrestlemania (after Cena/Rock and the Streak match).

Flipping heck what is with this love fest for Mason Ryan all of a sudden. He's a poor man's Batista at best. Looks blown up after a few minutes of action and doesn't look a star at all. Yes it's opinion but I agree with Baz Windham's comments on page 2 here. I'm just not buying any of it right now. Punk clearly not given a lead role this past Monday and maybe we'll see his demise from Mason in time to come if Punk is indeed leaving.

I guess being in Miami made sense to show Rock appreciation on his BD. Apart from that I'd give it 7/10

Disagree about Mason Ryan. I've hardly watched WWE at all in the last few months but when I've caught a little bit he's been the one new guy I've taken notice of.

Mason Ryan is my least favourite type of wrestler - dull and barely competent in the ring with no promo skill who's pushed because of his look. Karma and Sin Cara have been the wrestlers who've debuted recently that I've been excited by - I assume it's HHH's influence but wrestlers are being built up properly and at least initially booked to their strengths. Now if only they could find a heavyweight with potential to shake up the turgid title scene now I could see HHH style build up shooting them to the moon. Unfortunately there are a dearth of those prospects out there and Ryan definitely isn't it.

Let's hope the refreshed scouting network turns something up from the amateur wrestler /sporting types. Otherwise they could do worse than bring Benjamin back and give him a super push.

Disagree about Mason Ryan. I've hardly watched WWE at all in the last few months but when I've caught a little bit he's been the one new guy I've taken notice of.

Mason Ryan is my least favourite type of wrestler - dull and barely competent in the ring with no promo skill who's pushed because of his look. Karma and Sin Cara have been the wrestlers who've debuted recently that I've been excited by - I assume it's HHH's influence but wrestlers are being built up properly and at least initially booked to their strengths. Now if only they could find a heavyweight with potential to shake up the turgid title scene now I could see HHH style build up shooting them to the moon. Unfortunately there are a dearth of those prospects out there and Ryan definitely isn't it.

Let's hope the refreshed scouting network turns something up from the amateur wrestler /sporting types. Otherwise they could do worse than bring Benjamin back and give him a super push.

Benjamin can't talk. He's an educlated black man that cannot talk. He's boring as sin ( NOT CARA), and the only thing he has going for him is his wrestling abillity. He's gash. Push McIntyre to the MOON!

• Paid Members

I think someone's mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I can't take him seriously purely based on his "angry face". He looks like he's having a particularly exhausting wank.

I can't tell whether that post is a joke. If the post isn't a joke, the poster definitely is.

Why exactly? As far as I can tell Benjamin is an exciting explosive wrestler with decent size which the main event scene is sorely lacking. I'd love to see something a bit different.

Benjamin can't talk. He's an educlated black man that cannot talk. He's boring as sin ( NOT CARA), and the only thing he has going for him is his wrestling abillity. He's gash. Push McIntyre to the MOON!

Sure he's not a talker - they've got plenty of talkers schooled in reading scripts on Raw doing 20 minute promos of nothing. I'd prefer something different to play against them. God I hate McIntyre every time I see him - not sure why. He reminds me of Ted Dibiase Jr - pushed to the moon leaving the crowd baffled.

They tried their hardest to get Shelton Benjamin over as a quasi-main eventer who could easily slot in when needed. They tried so many times but he failed to deliver. In the ring, he was exciting, on the microphone he was god awful. Even the simplest, shortest script he couldn't remember and/or deliver right.

WWE have botched so many pushes throughout the years but they can't be faulted for Shelton Benjamin. Sure they saddled him with his 'Momma' but he just couldn't cut it.

They've replaced him with Kofi Kingston who's far better on the mic.

Kofi Kingston is incredible on the mic. Seriously when they let him cut a serious promo he's really good. I'm specifically thinking his mini feud with Orton but there was another promo he did not long ago that was great, not sute who he was feuding with though.

Fuck Shelton Benjamin, Kofi Kingston is where it's at if they want to push someone in that ilk.

• Paid Members
I have no interest in the further adventures of Mysterio vs Del Rio. Their feud went eighty matches too far on Smackdown, nevermind them doing it again on Raw.

The thing that alarms me is that since the draft, intended to "shake things up," a lot of the matches featured on TV have been matches that we've already seen plenty of - Kofi vs Sheamus, Del Rio opposite the ring from Rey, Kofi opposing McIntyre. I hope this is temporary, because it's really worrying otherwise if everything not involving Kharma, Sin Cara or a heel R-Truth really has been done already.

• Paid Members

I hate the lazy criticism of 'they've faced each other so many times already' for a feud being shit before its next incarnation has even happened. Rock faced Triple H in his very first match and then went on to feud with him on and off for pretty much the rest of his career. And the matches and feuds only got better the more they went back to it. Del Rio is less than a year in and still evolving as a WWE character. He thought he was King on Smackdown and that it was his destiny to be their World Champion, it wasn't. He missed out to Christian! Now he's off that show, he wasn't happy about it. He's pissed he didn't realise his destiny and fate has handed him this card. And to make it worse he still isn't away from that little pug Mysterio. So he's gonna take his frustrations out on him, knowing he got the better of him before.

He was a smug prick first time round, the dynamic is somewhat different now, they bring out good aspects of each other. It could be really good you know.

• Paid Members
I hate the lazy criticism of 'they've faced each other so many times already' for a feud being shit before its next incarnation has even happened. Rock faced Triple H in his very first match and then went on to feud with him on and off for pretty much the rest of his career.

Bit different though, isn't it? "Annoying babyface tard" Maivia and "Greenwich snob" Hunter only had a couple of high profile TV matches since the aforementioned Survivor Series debut, then didn't really collide for another year or so until the dynamic changed to "cocky upstart heel faction leader" vs "overgrown schoolboy degenerate babyface" for a bit, then got seperated for a bit and... you get the idea. Their feud was never overexposed and they would always be kept apart for a while and when the feud was rebooted something had changed - who was on what side of the heel/face divide, what backup either had, who was chasing who for what title.

Rey and Del Rio have basically been feuding since the beginning of time ADR's debut, including several matches expected to be the blow-off, its seems like its only been a couple of months since their last televised clash (IIRC a tag match with Rey/Truth v Del Rio/Drew) on SmackDown, and the dynamic hasn't changed at all. Its still smug rich heel vs annoying stale babyface puny rat of Tijuana. There's nothing more to see from them wrestling each other in their current incarnations and I can't be the only one that's sick of it.

Archived