Raw Discussion 2/5/11

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I thought the show was really good. It featured a cracking TV match in The Miz/John Cena that kept everybody strong. Kharmas already over by the sound of the reaction her music got, good wee segment (Maryse scream during the Implant Buster was excellent, sold the hellish move).

The only downside was the backstage segments. Just lazy WWE comedy. At least it had The Rock in them, so he could at least attempt to make them somewhat interesting.

I completely disagree with the people saying they should have done more with The Rock/John Cena feud. They've got eleven bloody months to build the match, why on earth do you want them to do too much before then? So by the time 'Mania rolls around it peaked 6 months before the match. It was a nice little tease AND it put over the WWE championship in a big way. It also sets out the next few months of John Cena programs, he is hell bent on keeping the WWE Championship so he can make 'Mania the biggest ever, if they play it right they can make the title matches mean something again. Lets hope John Cena keeps the belt for ages.

I loved The Rocks two in-ring segments. The crowd were amazing all night but The Rock had them going mental. "Go Heat, bitch" was an excellent bit of TV. The other thing that made the show feel special was The Rock/WWE getting all his A/B-list pals to send a birthday message, it made the WWE feel relevant and 'hipper' than it actually is. With the momentum The Rock brings, hopefully they can elevate somone new that the casual fans The Rock brings can latch onto when The Rock pisses off after 'Mania.

Speaking of which, they did a cracking job further pushing R-Truth and making Mason Ryan out to be the new Welshberg. They even gave him the spear, fuck aye.

Oh and I quite liked the pomp they gave to Bin Laden getting killed.

Mason Ryan looked beyond shit, though. It certainly didn't help that Kane didn't bring his working boots, and was at his cumbersome best but, really, he could do with losing a bit of bulk so he's not quite as immobile.

• Paid Members
Mason Ryan looked beyond shit, though. It certainly didn't help that Kane didn't bring his working boots, and was at his cumbersome best but, really, he could do with losing a bit of bulk so he's not quite as immobile.

He did but it's up to WWE to protect him. Putting him in there with Kane for a match that probably went longer than needed to get their point across, wasn't too smart. However in the grand scheme of things they made Mason Ryan out to be a monster on his own level, above everybody else. Job done.

I loved every bit of that show. Lillian Garcia kicked the show off with an amazing performance of the national anthem, Sam Jackson and Michael Scott made their Raw debuts, there was a cracking WWE title match and The Rock was reaffirmed as God of WWE. Whats not to love?

Thought the Cena/Rock bit was perfect for now. With Cena saying "look what I've got now" and "the match is now even bigger" and The Rock simply tell him to "just bring it" gives the title a bit of much needed shine.

And to see Vince with tears in his eyes before that amazing video package was something special.

Great show I thought, it seemed as though Vince wanted to dedicate the show to Rock as a big thank you for coming back to the WWE, certainly seemed that way in his speech at the end, seems like Vince is really thankful Rock came back.

Miz/Cena was fantastic, the ending was stupid, the ref didnt even see what happened so he can he logically disqualify Miz? Least it sets up another rematch at Over The Limit, Miz actually looked like a star last night kicking out of the AA straight away.

Morrison/Truth stuff was very good, Over The Limit could be quite a good PPV actually, Miz/Cena, Truth/Morrison, Del Rio/Mysterio on the RAW side, then maybe Christian/Henry, Orton vs someone, looking good.

But yeah decent show.

That was a great show in my opinion, Cena/Miz was a really good match, and I was really into it. I also thought that the big tag team match was decent as well. The only thing I was expecting that didn't happen, was for Cena to come out and the end and ruin his party. I guess they will have Rock cost Cena the title at Summerslam or something, since they don't need the belt for the big match.

I love Kharma! Even though her role was almost entirely the same as what she did at the PPV, I still loved it and crave more! I can't wait to see The Bellas attempt their silly switch-a-roo only for it to fail miserably and both of them get crushed. The character is working great. They've added their own facet to it, having her be maniacal and stalking than what we saw in her Awesome Kong days, but at the same time they've kept the costume and the look, which is very good.

Ryan Mason did indeed look good with his intensity! That's how a dominating big man should be, shouting aggressively and convincingly! Give it up to his Welsh heritage for that. So much better than the soft spoken Ezekiel Jackson.

I'm gutted Daniel Bryan has vanished from Raw.

He got drafted to Smackdown last week.

Ah, didn't know that.

OK then, not so gutted, and lets hope he appears on SD!

He got drafted to Smackdown last week.

He was in one of the Rock party segments backstage as well, for some odd reason. The Miz Cena match was very good, Miz has really came a long way wrestling ability wise. I have to agree about Maryse screaming when she got Implanted, really added to it. The first hour of the show was abysmal. I was really hoping McIntyre would attack the Rock, and say " The party's over " Hahaha!

I hated Raw. A two hour bumathon of The Rock because he is 39 (so?) for no other reason than to say "You're the best Dwayne! Look how much we love you, now please stay in touch and keep using your connections to get us more singers like Pitbull on our entertainment show." Or words to that effect. I just didn't get it, I know it was for fun etc but it seems really random for WWE to suddenly heap praise on a wrestler in this way unless they are retired or dead, which made me think there was an alterior motive. What's next? 'Happy anniversary HHH and Steph Raw' or 'Congratulations on passing your driving test Undertaker Raw'* I'd have also enjoyed it a hell of a lot more if i'd enjoyed The Rock at all since he 'returned'. I was a fan of his, but the constant stalling, over the top, false delivery and all the Team Bring it and lovey dovey stuff has all been a bit grating.

I accept though that this was not the 'norm' for Raw and it will be business as usual next week when Raw is in an inconvenient location for The Rock. If people enjoyed it as a one off then fine, good for them but if this was to become the norm and a direction they went in with more music stars etc just there to perform then that would be a different story.

Also, this may be unpopular on here but i'm really not into Mason Ryan. He's painful in the ring, which could be overlooked somewhat if he had the Charisma, but I just can't buy into his "Grrr i'm angry" face, it looks like he's faking it rather than me believing he's pissed off.

I'm normally pretty positive when it comes to WWE, as if i disliked it as much as I did this week on a regular basis, i'd just swtich off.

*Undertaker may or not be already able to drive

• Paid Members
What's next? 'Happy anniversary HHH and Steph Raw' or 'Congratulations on passing your driving test Undertaker Raw'*

I laughed very loudly in my very quiet office at this. I'd love this to happen, it would kill his gimmick admittedly, but what a way to go!

Archived