WWE Extreme Rules

Cobra1000

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really good show, much better than I expected.

Orton/Punk was good but I'm not a fan of the LMS stipulation. Those matches tend to drag and with Orton in there it's always going to be a very slow-paced affair. Right guy went over too considering they're going to build Orton up to carry the Smackdown brand.

Kofi/Sheamus was fun despite the predictable conclusion. Hopefully Sheamus moves up to the main title picture on Smackdown.

I didn't watch the tag match as I'm sick to death of Cole. I did see the bubble-wrap thing though which was pretty clever.

Rey/Cody was good but I hate that Rey always wins feuds. Cody needed the rub much more than Rey. Oh well.

Michelle/Layla didn't have enough build up for the match to mean much, but it was decent. Kharma's music is fucking awesome and her appearance was a genuine surprise and felt like a big deal. Hope Michelle comes back at some point.

Del Rio/Christian was a great match. From the moment Christian got stuck in the ladder I was buying all the false finishes. I thought the ending made perfect sense too as Del Rio is exactly the kind of asshole to hear a car horn, think it's one of his prized posessions and thus take his eye off the ball even as he's just about to win. I have issues with Christian; his gear is indyriffic and I think he makes a much better heel, but they need a new top babyface and you can't say the guy hasn't earned a run. It was a really good moment.

Tag match was a nothing buffer. The Corre need to disband fast.

Main event was excellent, despite the unncessary Cena win. It's a shame that Miz didn't keep the belt longer as I don't expect him to get it back for a long time. He'll probably feud with Cena for a bit before Cena drops the belt to Del Rio at Summerslam. I don't know where that leaves Miz. Anyways, all three were great in this match, especially Miz and Morrison. Great to see Truth show up and not get his ass kicked by Cena. The crowd are buying him as a prick heel and his character is genuinely interesting for maybe the first time in his WWE career.

Great show.

First PPV I've stayed up and watched live in a long time, that was mainly as my kids wanted to watch it live (Bank Holiday no school today !) and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

The only parts I didn't like were Cole and Lawler (enough already) but loved the bubble wrap ! and the tag match. Really what is the point of tag belts anymore ?? Either put some tag teams together or get rid of them !

Orton Vs Punk was my best match of the night but the rest was all top notch. Didn't think Miz should have lost but he's had a nice run and I think has done himself a lot of good with his performance as champ. Who's to blame for the nasty suplex spot though ? Thought Miz was a goner with that one.

Kharma was fantastic and a nice surprise I didn't expect her to be there so soon.

I am chuffed for Christian it is well deserved after being patient for all these years to get the push. I don't know if this has been discussed but is Christian the most decorated wrestler of all time in WWF/E? He has held the Heavyweight, ECW, Tag, IC, European, Hardcore and Light Heavyweight titles. Has anyone else won seven seperate titles in their tenure?

• Paid Members
But, I have to ask, did they really throw away a 'chair round the throat, smashed into a steel ring post' spot halfway through a match...?

There was indeed a Pillmanized head in the Punk/Orton match, as you say, thrown away as just another spot. The fact I can't remember who did it to whom says it all really.

• Paid Members
He has held the Heavyweight, ECW, Tag, IC, European, Hardcore and Light Heavyweight titles. Has anyone else won seven seperate titles in their tenure?

Nah. We had this conversation in the chat regarding Jeff Hardy, but I had forgotten Christian's WWECW title reign. The man stands alone.

If you want to go outside the WWF/E boundary mind, Jericho won both versions of the World title, both sets of tag belts, the Intercontinental, European and Hardcore titles, and the WcW Cruiserweight and Television titles AND ECW Television title. Quite impressive.

Thought that overall Extreme Rules was a pretty good show, first I've stayed up for in a long time and well worth it!

In the Rey/Rhodes match I was disappointed that Rey was climbing up for a move while they were wandering through the arena only to realise that Rhodes had already moved much further on and had to give it up. Twice I think that happened.

The Tag Team match was a bit of a waste. I never really get lumberjack matches anyway.

Country Whipping Match was good for what it was (which is an awful idea), good to see JR actually look the part in the ring giving low blows and ankle locks! When are Swagger and Cole going to break up, looked likely a few weeks ago then they kissed and made up and made me afraid that we're going to have to put up with a lot more of this.

Loved the Ladder match! Still weird to see a guy bleed and not hear "He's busted wide open!" but instead see him try and get rid of it as quick as he can while the cameras cut to the opponent. Felt this match should have been higher up the card though, it is the World Heavyweight Championship afterall.

The cage match was pretty good too despite the Cena win. I thought that they would have had Cena escape from the cage and have his feet touch the ground right at the minute Miz got the 3 count on Morrison to kick off a new angle though, I hate when cage matches end in a pin.

Anyway that's my rundown :)

Booker T said 'he's busted wide open' at Christian and was presumably then given a bollocking, because he was quiet for ages then.

I forgot all about Jr's dancing. Best part of the show by a mile.

That was annoying but not really Cole's fault.

On-screen, he's a massive ADR fan so its obvious he'd point out the percieved injustice; but, the face announcers are there to point that turnabout is fair play, and Brodus had been out minutes earlier and cost Christian the belt. There failure to do so was shitty.

That was a really good show.

Really good opener between Punk and Orton with some great spots, such as the guillotine steel chair into the ring post, the RKO through the announcers table and RKO off the top rop. This was followed by an entertaining Tables match between Sheamus and Kingston to get the US Title back on RAW.

The Country Whipping match certainly wasn't anywhere near bad as Wrestlemania and the bubble wrap thing with Cole was funny. I'm a bit sick of this feud now though, I expected it to end here but if it ends up with JR back on commentary then that will be a consolation.

Mysterio/Rhodes was a fun match and ended their feud well and Layla/McCool was decent too but was trumped by Kharma's great debut. She'll be a breath of fresh air to the Divas division and the Division might be worth watching now. Looking forward to an eventual Kharma/Beth feud.

Christian/Del Rio was a great Ladder match and I'm really chuffed for Christian to have won the title and also for him to have been able to celebrate it with Edge. The crowd were really into the match and he looked like it meant a lot to him.

The Tag match was just filler and then the Triple Threat Cage match was really good. The suplex off the top of the cage looked brutal and the Starship Pain looked really cool too.

Should be a fresh week in WWE with all the new World Champions, the new draftees and the end of a lot of storylines that have been going on since the start of the year. Looking forward to it.

The superplex from the top of the cage was a strange spot, really. Miz needed to be seated face-on, so that as he was about to go over he could plant his feet and give himself some momentum. But, because he was sort of side-on, he couldn't get his feet sorted and didn't get over.

I suspect it looked nastier than it was, more of a winding than anything else, but had that happened from a lesser height his neck would have been broken this morning...

That was a really solid PPV.

It amazes me that (from a personal enjoyment perspective) Wrestlemania was a dull, drawn-out affair that felt light on actual wrestling and even lighter on memorable moments, where as this lesser PPV was just much, much more entertaining all around.

Christian winning the belt may end up being my last true "mark out moment" considering he's probably the last of my most-loved wrestlers from my most-loved wrestling period (1997-2001). I genuinely didn't ever think Christian would get there, especially after they ignored how over he was as a fantastic heel before he jumped to TNA years back.

I'm well aware that any old prick can seemingly get a title run these days, Swagger and Sheamus winning out of nowhere showed that, but I still found myself getting wrapped up in Christian's big win. Good on him, and well deserved for years of quality matches and funny moments. He's still way better as a Heel, but regardless - I'm a happy man.

Miz is a lucky man after that superbrainbustaaaah! Scary moment.

Archived