Times when films/TV shows "Jumped the Shark"

JohnnyChimpo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Doesn't the saying come from Happy Days when The Fonz literally jumped a shark and most fans thought that's when they had took things to far

Yep. It was on water skis too, for added silliness.

Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.JPG

• Paid Members
I think the show has declined ever since then, an example being the silly Michael-Jan/Jim-Pam double date at Michael's house later on in the same series.

That's a hilarious episode. I laugh everytime Michael shows off his plasma tv.

Agreed. That entire series of episodes based around Michael dating Pam's Mum are some of my favourites too. I especially love the bit when he first tells Pam and she almost dies.

• Paid Members
The show doesn't get less clever or anything after Niles and Daphne, but one of the best parts and stories of the show isn't there anymore.

The problem was that the way they got together left a horrendous taste in the mouth. Both of them cheated on other people, and behaved incredibly selfishly. It was just a bit generally unpleasant.

The Simpsons jumped the shark at the start of Season 10 for me. It was so long ago that I have hazy memories of it but it was a scene where Homer is questioning whether or not he's stupid, while obliviously walking across a busy motorway and nearly getting killed.

After the disappointment of the Who Shot Mr Burns thing a couple of years before and a move to including celebrities over substance, that was the moment that killed the show for me. Homer became a caricature of himself.

Family Guy just stopped being funny, but I think the episode that ruined it for me was Dial Meg for Murder.

The Office - well other than episode 1 I haven't bothered to watch any of the current series. The music video at the start of that episode was 'the moment' for me.

By rights, the start of the newest How I Met Your Mother, where they sing the theme tune themselves should have been a jump the shark moment, but instead it was brilliant.

Although after series 5 I thought it was well past it's best the last series of "That 70's Show" was totally insane in its stupidity and it didn't so much jump the shark as fucked its ass and jizzed in its mouth.

For starters both Topher Grace(Eric) and Ashton Kutcher(Kelso) both left the show at the end of series 7(yes Kutcher returned for the first 4 episodes of season 8 but still...) which should have been a sign that it was over but still they persist.

We have Fez the traditionally pervy, yet insecure/naive one of the group all of a sudden becoming a ladies man and screwing anything with tits on it.

Hyde after almost a two series long relationship with Jackie winds up married to a stripper for no other reason than "he was drunk and in Vegas."

And then the Pi

• Paid Members
The show doesn't get less clever or anything after Niles and Daphne, but one of the best parts and stories of the show isn't there anymore.

The problem was that the way they got together left a horrendous taste in the mouth. Both of them cheated on other people, and behaved incredibly selfishly. It was just a bit generally unpleasant.

They made the mistake of making both Niles and Daphne's partners incredibly likeable. They should have gone full on romcom style and made them horrible people.

They made the mistake of making both Niles and Daphne's partners incredibly likeable. They should have gone full on romcom style and made them horrible people.

Mel was likeable? Donnie was, certainly, but Mel?

• Paid Members

Yeah there was a few hints that she was on par or close to being Maris 2. I get what you feel though, and even I think they should have just had him leave Maris. That's what everyone wanted to see.

Yeah there was a few hints that she was on par or close to being Maris 2. I get what you feel though, and even I think they should have just had him leave Maris. That's what everyone wanted to see.

I'm going to hate myself for this analogy but to me, Mel felt like a transitional WWE champion, like winning the belt from Maris at the Rumble, you knew she was only holding the belt so that Daphne would win it at Wrestlemania.

I'm off for a shower, I feel dirty.

Archived