Geordie Shore

Magnum

Couple of the people off it are from Sunderland & Middlesborough, since when are those Geordie?

Since they had the same fucking voice. To anyone not from that part of the country, you're all Geordies. Same as everyone from London's a Cockney, or how people from Birmingham pretend our accent's wildly different to the Black Country one.

• Paid Members
Couple of the people off it are from Sunderland & Middlesborough, since when are those Geordie?

Since they had the same fucking voice. To anyone not from that part of the country, you're all Geordies. Same as everyone from London's a Cockney, or how people from Birmingham pretend our accent's wildly different to the Black Country one.

People from Boro sound nothing like Geordie's, Black Country accents do sound different to Brummies also.

People from Boro sound nothing like Geordie's, Black Country accents do sound different to Brummies also.

True, but chances are anyone with any sort of north east accent will instantly be labelled a 'geordie' when they meet your average southerner. There are clear differences between the Sunderland and Newcastle accents for those who are used to hearing them both regularly, but I'd bet most people from outside the area would describe (for instance) Lauren Laverne as a geordie.

• Paid Members

True, but chances are anyone with any sort of north east accent will instantly be labelled a 'geordie' when they meet your average southerner. There are clear differences between the Sunderland and Newcastle accents for those who are used to hearing them both regularly, but I'd bet most people from outside the area would describe (for instance) Lauren Laverne as a geordie.

I'm from Darlington originally and someone in passing when I was talking thought I was from Newcastle. So yeah, the differences aren't that distinguishable to any one from outside our wonderful region.

Mackem is more subtle than Geordie. Compare Ross Pearson to Jimmy Nail (never imagined myself saying that).

I've got a mate from Ashington (where Sir Bobby Charlton was from for all you football fans) and I always have to second guess what he is saying. Dog is prenounced "Durg", Hood is "Hurd" and Here is "hehya".

Archived