Mizark Henry

Shovanist Pig

• Paid Members

I personally thought Mark had clearly become good when he entered that Smackdown battle royal a few years back that Kurt ended up winning. He looked like an unstoppable monster, and it made Kurt look like even more of a killer for taking him out, without him losing much heat afterwards. One of the small indicators that he'd improved, also, was how he hit the World's Strongest Slam; when he debuted it, it just looked like he was dropping with it because he didn't know what else to do with his opponent in that position, but I knew he'd turned a corner when he started smashing them down like attempted murder.

He's been good for the past few years, has Mark - but he's clearly a wrestler whose momentum is very booking-sensitive; when the writers aren't bothered, he floats and loses his reactions, but when he gets booked to do stuff like turn on Randy Orton out of the blue and split his wig, he looks like he could very realistically be The Man, at least for a short while, no exaggeration.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much anyone can become a star with the right booking. Look at Goldberg. He wasn't particularly talented, and people talk about his "charisma", but I never saw it, he was just an intense motherfucker. Henry has been able to bring that intensity more and more over the past five years or so. He could make a good run as SD's top heel if he was committed. Hell, JBL managed it (although it was because of his mic abilitiies). Main problem I see is that "Mark Henry" isn't a good name on the marquee. Right now, Christian vs Mark Henry as a headline match seems really weird.

• Paid Members
Pretty much anyone can become a star with the right booking. Look at Goldberg.

They booked Goldberg the way they did because people just absolutely loved him. There was no real plan for Goldberg when he got over, that all came about as a result. that's why anyone who suggests goldberg wasn't talented or didn't have "charisma" is completely and utterly wrong.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that not just anyone can become a star with the right booking. Khali, Koslov and Henry himself are obvious recent examples.

• Paid Members

They booked Goldberg the way they did because people just absolutely loved him. There was no real plan for Goldberg when he got over, that all came about as a result. that's why anyone who suggests goldberg wasn't talented or didn't have "charisma" is completely and utterly wrong.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that not just anyone can become a star with the right booking. Khali, Koslov and Henry himself are obvious recent examples.

Exactly, Goldberg got himself over. WCW decided that he was doing so well that they then started treating him like a King. People forget that Goldberg lost his first TV match.

What Goldberg had is something we've never seen since. A great mixture of intensity, charisma, a great look and all of that combined to make you believe he could beat up Superman, Batman and Satan without breaking a sweat. He was motivated too, something he wasn't in WWE. WCW were clever and realised they had something special and booked him as such. As tiger_rick rightly said, not everybody can get a 'Goldberg push' and make it work. Goldberg did because he is a fucking star.

• Paid Members

Exactly, Goldberg got himself over. WCW decided that he was doing so well that they then started treating him like a King. People forget that Goldberg lost his first TV match.

What Goldberg had is something we've never seen since. A great mixture of intensity, charisma, a great look and all of that combined to make you believe he could beat up Superman, Batman and Satan without breaking a sweat. He was motivated too, something he wasn't in WWE. WCW were clever and realised they had something special and booked him as such. As tiger_rick rightly said, not everybody can get a 'Goldberg push' and make it work. Goldberg did because he is a fucking star.

He lost his first TV match? I thought he beat Hugh Morrus as an "already-in-the-ring-no-music" jobber?

I agree about Goldberg. Whilst it's fair to say he got over because of good booking without which he would have floundered, you can't book someone to their strengths if they have barely any, and Goldberg had the kind of strengths you could make a star with, same as Warrior - intensity, physical charisma and a tremendous look.

• Paid Members

He lost his first TV match? I thought he beat Hugh Morrus as an "already-in-the-ring-no-music" jobber?

Kevin Sullivan has talked about it plenty of times. They only realised a few weeks later that Goldberg was something special, so they kept him off TV for ages (while he worked on the road to get better and to make sure people forget the loss), he then re-debuted as a mysterious arse kicker. I'm sure there is a clip of the match on a DVD I saw (Rise and Fall of WCW?).

Kevin Sullivan has talked about it plenty of times. They only realised a few weeks later that Goldberg was something special, so they kept him off TV for ages (while he worked on the road to get better and to make sure people forget the loss), he then re-debuted as a mysterious arse kicker. I'm sure there is a clip of the match on a DVD I saw (Rise and Fall of WCW?).

According to thehistoryofwwe.com that's not true.

I like Mark Henry.

He might not be a refined, elegant wrestler but he's rough round the edges, looks hard as fuck and given the right opponent he can have a half decent match. At this point though, you need to create a genuine superstar, fast-paced babyface to bounce off him because anything less than superstar and the feud won't take off. Unfortunately, as someone pointed out, he won't sell a single ticket on his own.

It'd be interesting to pair him off against Sin Cara...

I don't mind Henry, he's good, but he's not very exciting. I think Carbomb had it spot on, he's the sort of wrestler that can do well if the writing is good and plays to his strengths. He's not one of them that will make any old shit writing/booking work.

If it were me in charge of Smackdown, I'd focus on Sheamus and The Corre way more than Henry.

I think he needs to get rid of the shitlocks, though.

Nah, I just watched Royal Rumble 1998 and he looked crap with the short hair.

You dont have that even give him short hair, its just the hair he has now looks unmanageable. He looks depressed with it.

A black fella with long hair that's not dreadlocks just looks weird, though.

• Paid Members

I fucking love Mark Henry, have done ever since he returned to WWE from doing those strongman contests. Over the years, he's had a few mini-pushes, but just as soon as WWE establish him as a major threat, they forget all about him and he gets lost in the shuffle again. He's certainly one of the most obvious cases of a guy that could be a main event guy with the right treatment, but could just as easily be curtain jerking on Superstars if he isn't being used to his strengths.

Personally, I'd love to see him get a push as a monster heel on SmackDown, although I would stop short of putting the belt on him.

Archived