CM Punk leaving WWE?

Snitsky's back acne

I'm sure Punk has said countless times before (Prior to signing with the E) that he'd never work for TNA again after the way they treated him during his short stint there. It was a long time ago, so I can't remember where I read it or if I did read it, but I'm pretty sure he or someone he knew blogged about it way back then.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'm sure Punk has said countless times before (Prior to signing with the E) that he'd never work for TNA again after the way they treated him during his short stint there. It was a long time ago, so I can't remember where I read it or if I did read it, but I'm pretty sure he or someone he knew blogged about it way back then.

He might have said that in the comfort of a WWE contract or when he wasnt in a position to demand a high fee. And maybe he is using this as a negotiation tactic, but if they offered in half a million for a small schedule, how would he possibly turn that down? WWE downside guarentees are at the lowest they've been since they started given out guarenteed contracts. A deal that TNA could offer him would be hard to turn down. It wouldnt change a thing in TNA and he wouldnt be worth the money, but TNA would probably do it.

But this will all probably blow over and he'll resign. WWE wont want to lose him and I doubt he wants to go, but if he does end up leaving, there isnt anywhere else to go.

A deal with TNA might work out better for him financially in the short term, in terms of downside guarantee and money earnt versus days worked, but I'm sure Punk is raking in the money in WWE when you take into account PPV bonuses, merchandise royalties etc., and he's pretty much set for life there now unless he does something seriously stupid. TNA is a much less stable proposition, and a jump would vastly decrease his exposure and star status. Its also 50/50 at best whether they'd totally balls his creative direction up and make him look small time and/or past it as they have with numerous WWE defectors in the past. It would totally derail the momentum and exposure he's built in WWE, and WWE would almost certainly give him the Christian treatment, for a while at least, if he were to go back in a few years.

It would be a needless risk to take at this stage of his career. Yes he could be doing much more in WWE, but he could be doing a hell of a lot less too, and I doubt TNA would be able to make more of him than WWE are. I reckon the most dramatic thing that will come of this will be Punk taking a few months off to recharge his batteries (and try to send a message to WWE) before he re-signs.

He won't go to TNA, if it is true he'll simply pull a Jericho

As I said earlier, Jericho was on much bigger money than CM Punk was and I'll take a wild guess here and sayhis merchandise sales pissed on what Punk does although I don't actually know any of the financial situation. If TNA offered Punk an RVD sized contract (I read it was$600,000 a year, i'll take that as canon blindly.) I cant see how he'd turn it down. Money is thicker than water as they say. RVD was never, ever keen on a move to TNA, but soon changed his mind when the money was offered it had been offered before and he still turned it down of course, ut i'll ignore that to drive my point home. Punk's a big star, great on the microphone and attractive to Spike TV because he's a WWE wrestler who everyone knows. If TNA made a big offer for him, WWE would never match it because they wouldnt feel he's worth it ( Despite the fact he's always super active, in big feuds, and works well with all talent I've decreed that WWE see him this way, because he's not permanently winning beltz~). The money Anderson is on (who wasnt half the star Punk is) shows they will pay him a big contract , of course I say BIG. I simply means 'A contract' as I again have no idea what it paid. Jericho was is a far better position than Punk is in as far as leverage.

fixed it for ya.

• Paid Members
I'll take a wild guess here and sayhis merchandise sales pissed on what Punk does although I don't actually know any of the financial situation.

You think CM Punk (the heel who is pushed down the card whenever The Undertaker isnt getting his duties frees and see's him being a cock in airports?) made more money on merchandise sales (which is the largest part of a wrestlers income) than Chris Jericho in during his first run? Jericho's a multimillionaire pro wrestler, who has the leverage to stay away from the business due to other interests outside the business and due to the earnings he's made in the business during the biggest money making period in history and has headlined major PPV's. Your a clown to think otherwise.

it had been offered before and he still turned it down of course, ut i'll ignore that to drive my point home.

RVD was NEVER offered a solid deal with TNA, because until Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff took over which opened up Spike TV's cheque book, TNA wasnt in a position to offered him such a high money contract. But since your in the business of "believe everything unless it goes against the wrestler I have a hard-on for" you probably dont think thats factual either.

Despite the fact he's always super active, in big feuds, and works well with all talent I've decreed that WWE see him this way, because he's not permanently winning beltz~

Unless there's suddendly somewhere else to work, why on earth are WWE going to be bullied into giving someone more money? They have been cutting costs due to dwindling buyrates, ratings and house show revenue (which is factual, because WWE is a public company and has to announce such things to its stockholders and in its reports). Christian was "super active", Christian was in "big feuds", Christian was friends with all the talent and everyone from John Cena to Chris Benoit to Paul Heyman said he should have been pushed in a main event position. What did WWE do to horn this talent? They gave him the same deal he had previously and said wouldnt budge. What has anything you have said got to do with whether he's worth more money or not? CM Punk isnt Batista. WWE have let plenty of talent go and survived without them.

of course I say BIG. I simply means 'A contract' as I again have no idea what it paid

I know it wont be close to what Hogan, RVD, Jeff Hardy and Ric Flair are making in TNA and I do know the schedule CM Punk is on. Nice try though, but your argument holds no water, because your not even defending your points. We can only go by the information we have access to. I can back up what I'm saying by what has been reported in the wrestling media by people close to the situation. Otherwise everything on this board is bullshit, because "we dont know the facts LOLZ". And I even said its probably leverage on a new deal, so get off your high horse you spanner.

Anyway, here's more of the situation from the bloke who original reported it:

From what I understand, Punk realizes he's not being considered part of the top mix and he's not going to stay and beat his body up if he's not appreciated and isn't part of the mix. Just about every source said the same thing and one person in the office this AM pointed out that whenever you see a collection of the top guys being used for marketing materials, Punk is never in that grouping. He's just a guy there, as opposed to one of THE guys there and that's pretty much the issue for him.

There's been talk of this off and on for months but I usually filter out the upset wrestler talk since everyone gripes about their jobs. In the last week or so since Wrestlemania but especially on the UK tour, it's been a hot topic of conversation.

So, we will see.

Mike

I'll take a wild guess here and sayhis merchandise sales pissed on what Punk does although I don't actually know any of the financial situation.

You think CM Punk (the heel who is pushed down the card whenever The Undertaker isnt getting his duties frees and see's him being a cock in airports?) made more money on merchandise sales (which is the largest part of a wrestlers income) than Chris Jericho in during his first run? Jericho's a multimillionaire pro wrestler, who has the leverage to stay away from the business due to other interests outside the business and due to the earnings he's made in the business during the biggest money making period in history and has headlined major PPV's. Your a clown to think otherwise.

it had been offered before and he still turned it down of course, ut i'll ignore that to drive my point home.

RVD was NEVER offered a solid deal with TNA, because until Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff took over which opened up Spike TV's cheque book, TNA wasnt in a position to offered him such a high money contract. But since your in the business of "believe everything unless it goes against the wrestler I have a hard-on for" you probably dont think thats factual either.

Despite the fact he's always super active, in big feuds, and works well with all talent I've decreed that WWE see him this way, because he's not permanently winning beltz~

Unless there's suddendly somewhere else to work, why on earth are WWE going to be bullied into giving someone more money? They have been cutting costs due to dwindling buyrates, ratings and house show revenue (which is factual, because WWE is a public company and has to announce such things to its stockholders and in its reports). Christian was "super active", Christian was in "big feuds", Christian was friends with all the talent and everyone from John Cena to Chris Benoit to Paul Heyman said he should have been pushed in a main event position. What did WWE do to horn this talent? They gave him the same deal he had previously and said wouldnt budge. What has anything you have said got to do with whether he's worth more money or not? CM Punk isnt Batista. WWE have let plenty of talent go and survived without them.

of course I say BIG. I simply means 'A contract' as I again have no idea what it paid

I know it wont be close to what Hogan, RVD, Jeff Hardy and Ric Flair are making in TNA and I do know the schedule CM Punk is on. Nice try though, but your argument holds no water, because your not even defending your points. We can only go by the information we have access to. I can back up what I'm saying by what has been reported in the wrestling media by people close to the situation. Otherwise everything on this board is bullshit, because "we dont know the facts LOLZ". And I even said its probably leverage on a new deal, so get off your high horse you spanner.

Anyway, here's more of the situation from the bloke who original reported it:

From what I understand, Punk realizes he's not being considered part of the top mix and he's not going to stay and beat his body up if he's not appreciated and isn't part of the mix. Just about every source said the same thing and one person in the office this AM pointed out that whenever you see a collection of the top guys being used for marketing materials, Punk is never in that grouping. He's just a guy there, as opposed to one of THE guys there and that's pretty much the issue for him.

There's been talk of this off and on for months but I usually filter out the upset wrestler talk since everyone gripes about their jobs. In the last week or so since Wrestlemania but especially on the UK tour, it's been a hot topic of conversation.

So, we will see.

Mike

I never said Punk made more money on Merch, just pointed out that you wildly speculated. Which you did. On everything.

You can tell me to get off my high horse all you want, I was just pointing out that you largely contradict your own opinions for the sake of trying to look good in arguments. You've complained dozens of times that dirt sheets report false information, because it let you have an opinion if you did so. Now you'll take their payment info as legitimate, because once again it will give you weight to your arguments. You do it all the time, and when you are wrong... much like when you claimed the whole Jeff Hardy steel chair to Andersons head was a 'safe shot done in a way to fool fans' when you're proven wrong you don't say or do anything. You just shut up and move to the next post that you can make an opinion on based on what you've read.

Also, you gave us more news from Mike... it's the exact same news already out just worded differently, and I still call bullshit. Punk never looks lackluster, in fact most of the time he seems to be damn right enjoying himself. He's always been a WWF mark and wanted to work there, and as it stands he makes more money there than he would anywhere else. Yes it's a busy schedule, but he was on the indys for years and worked a hell of a lot then too (not as much as WWE admittedly) with shoddier hotels and transport, less pay, and more longer more grueling matches.

IF Punk left, it would be to take a break. Not to go work for a company that would piss on his gimmick, ruin his credibility, and completely burn a bridge with WWE. It wouldn't help his profile any, it would jeopardise his relationship with a company he's been wanting to be a part of for most of his life.

My opinion means diddly, i've not been on the forums long enough and I admit I don't know Punks deal, in terms of money or how he's feeling right now. But that just puts me in the same situation as you, and as 'mike'. So clearly the only thing i'm missing here is one thing.

Velvet Sky made $65,000, with $18,000 in merch and $23,000 PPV bonuses last year.

Can I join your club now, please??

• Paid Members
IF Punk left, it would be to take a break. Not to go work for a company that would piss on his gimmick, ruin his credibility, and completely burn a bridge with WWE. It wouldn't help his profile any, it would jeopardise his relationship with a company he's been wanting to be a part of for most of his life.

Why is it assumed that working for TNA would be so detrimental? He's got a strong gimmick they could capitalise on, they treated people like Angle, Kennedy, Christian, RVD, Jeff & Matt decently enough without ruining their gimmicks & took 'The Pope' up to the next level, capitalising on a level of charisma that WWE didn't recognise.

Fair play Punk may have been a huge WWE mark but maybe, just maybe the reality of working there wasn't as dream-like as he expected. Also, if he can get a similar deal for a much reduced schedule then why not? He might not want to have to retire through injury before he's 40. Working for TNA doesn't close to the door back to WWE either, Christian & Booker T being examples of people who went & came back. Vince (rightly IMO) doesn't consider TNA a threat, they're a wrasslin' company & WWE are in entertainment. If Punk could still be profitable for them they'd have him back.

• Paid Members
I never said Punk made more money on Merch, just pointed out that you wildly speculated. Which you did. On everything.

Because its a discussion forum. Everything discussed on here is with the information privy to us. If that suddenly makes your opinion more credible on one subject, then you might as well just sit on the sidelines and not partake in discussion then.

You can tell me to get off my high horse all you want, I was just pointing out that you largely contradict your own opinions for the sake of trying to look good in arguments. You've complained dozens of times that dirt sheets report false information, because it let you have an opinion if you did so. Now you'll take their payment info as legitimate, because once again it will give you weight to your arguments. You do it all the time, and when you are wrong... much like when you claimed the whole Jeff Hardy steel chair to Andersons head was a 'safe shot done in a way to fool fans' when you're proven wrong you don't say or do anything. You just shut up and move to the next post that you can make an opinion on based on what you've read.

No I didnt. I expected that what was reported from the company, the performers and the wrestling news at the time was the information everyone had, and then weeks and weeks down the line when they made an angle about it, you searched high and low for the thread and bumped it so in your own little world you could be seen as getting one over on someone. But nobody give a fuck apart from you and you saw that as "moving on to the next post". You dont seem to get what a forum is about do you? That discussion is there to be proved right and wrong and we are here to share opinions of what is reported. Since none of us have any foot in the door at WWE, without what is reported by news sites and somewhat credible scourses, we'd be sitting here talking about "match quality" and "women's wrestling" and none of us want that. I'd like to think enough people on here think I'd a decent poster and if they dont they are more that campable of challenging that, because there are some good posters on here. But your not one of them, because your not challanging anything. Your inconsistent opinion of what should be deemed fact and what shouldnt be talked about is pretty funny considering your posting it on a board which is meant for opinion and chat.

Also, you gave us more news from Mike... it's the exact same news already out just worded differently, and I still call bullshit.

Why do you call bullshit on it? Is it because it goes against what you want to believe? Like the same thing your accusing me of? Most of your posts are negative smartarse musings and the "facts" are only what you want them to be. If "Mike" reported something you wanted to believe, you'd no doubt be fist pumping at the possibilities. Otherwise why the fuck are you on a wrestling forum?

IF Punk left, it would be to take a break.

Is that fact is it? Well why are you saying "it would be a break" instead of using common sense and looking at the fact that wrestlers arent in a position without a union, without a pension and with only a downside guarentee, plus travel expenses and living costs to take a break away from the business without a viable alternative. In your little fantasy word, it might be alright to take a break, but in the real world where you have to base opinions on information you percieve as true, then its hard to see how he's going to do this. But you dont do that obviously. You just comment on threads where you have all the facts.

My opinion means diddly, i've not been on the forums long enough and I admit I don't know Punks deal, in terms of money or how he's feeling right now

Well how can you base an opinion on that then? If you havent got any of the facts? You only ever use the "facts" bollocks in arguments where your mate is wrong. Like when you jumped to his defence when he apparently smacked that kid about, even though there was witnesses and on the scene reports. But would you have done the same if it was Ric Flair or someone who did the same thing? If your going to be "factual", at least be consistant.

• Paid Members

Might sound very silly of me, but i suppose if punk is taking a break, would he give ROH a go for a year or so? He'd get a bit of money (not loads, but better than none), as well as taking any other bookings if he wanted to. Doesnt mean he would wrestle full time or anywhere else at all, but keep him busy and involved in a product he used to be a part of, as well as (i expect) is still interested in.

He keeps busy, it helps out ROH, wouldnt be a bad move as far as i can see.

I don't think it's at all mental to think that (if he actually wanted to) Punk could feasibly take a year off and let his body heal.

Not everyone in wrestling is a total mong with their money. While the smart move (it he genuinely has had enough of the WWE life, for now) would probably be TNA for the highest money deal, there is nothing to say he couldn't have a really easy year, just take a couple of dates (a few big money Japan shots or something like that) and otherwise chill out, just doing autograph signings and that.

He's been earning tasty money for quite a few years now. Sure, he might have spunked it all, but maybe not. I was able to take 6 months off a few years ago, just because I was pissed off at shitty jobs and wanted a break. I didn't sign on, I just used some of my savings and had a restful 6 months. That was without having made upwards of $100 grand a year for a few years.

Update from a couple of sites....

As we reported this week, RAW superstar CM Punk is said to be unhappy in WWE and is considering leaving the company when his contract expires later this year. Punk is burned out from five years on the road and is not happy with other stars such as The Miz and Alberto Del Rio getting pushed over him.

WWE wants to keep Punk on the roster and have offered him a new longterm deal, which he's yet to sign. It's interesting to note that CM Punk's real-life girlfriend Beth Phoenix was traded to the RAW brand during Tuesday's Supplemental Draft - which could be seen as a move to make life better for Punk on the road.

Punk's possible departure from WWE later this year has been one of the main topics of discussion behind the scenes this week. Punk has been dating Beth Phoenix for the past several months and the two are reportedly a serious couple.

WWE has made roster trades in the past to keep superstar-diva couples together - with the most notable example being Michelle McCool being moved to SmackDown a few years ago so she could travel with her husband, The Undertaker.

Archived