CM Punk leaving WWE?

Snitsky's back acne

:(

If Punk leaves my interest in WWE which is on the decrease anyway after a sub-par Mania and a underwelming draft may go all togeather. I am a huge fan of Miz and Del Rio, but I believe Punk to be a better heel than both of them and probably a better wrestler and promo. Punk for my money alongside Kurt Angle is the best all rounder in wrestling.

I have no illusions that he is the next Rock or Steve Austin, but I certiantly think he makes better and more entertaining viewing than some of the people that article said were pushed above him. Not to get on the anti-Cena banwagon but I believe that Cena is very overexposed, Orton is as dull as dishwater and Rey's time in the sun seems to be passing.

I was very dissapointed in Punk's feud with Orton, it bored me rotten. Im not going to claim it was all Orton's fault, the new Nexus havent clicked and are just generic jobbers and the whole feud had a bunch of medicore segments, besides that masterful and heated promo Punk cut infront of his hometown fans. It would make sense if Punk has been phoning it in as beside that crap feud with The Big Show, Punk has usually made things interesting since turning heel in 2009.

Back in the Summer of 2009, Punk made me turn on wrestling again when he turned heel, after becoming bored of the HHH, Orton and Cena show. If Punk leaves and with how dull the current product is I may turn of again, barring PPV and when The Rock turns up.

As this post has been so negative I will it on a positive, I love R Truth as a heel :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont really like CM Punk but to say he doesnt fit into the 'youth drive' they are going for is rubbish. The best heels when I was a kid were the great talkers and sinister characters, hes the perfect slimy heel that all kids would hate. A run with one of the two titles for 6 months would really elevate Punk into that top bracket as far as im concerned.

I'd be gutted if he leaves. My interest in WWE is declining a lot, and he's one of the reasons I tune it, he is fantastic, and I do agree with the he's never dropped the ball, but he's never been given it either stuff. He's the best heel going atm, and he always puts in great performances against everyone he faces.

He wouldn't be the first person to be in that position, but if he really is that good he'll end up being the go to guy and he will have to be on top, how long was edge in that position before he finally hit the top level?

Not long, certainly it didn't take Edge years after his first big title wins (Punk won his first world title three years ago now) to become a top dog. Edge only really came to the forefront as "this is the guy that can do it all" with the Matt Hardy stuff in summer-autumn 2005, and he won the title the following January. Then he was feuding with Cena on top of Raw for most of 2006, and from May 2007 he was Smackdown's resident top baddie. As soon as he won the title the first time, Edge was pretty much made.

Punk's more of a Jericho character, I think. Wins the title now and again, but goes up and down the card. Although he's not fallen far down. Over the last year, his feud with Rey Mysterio was main event level. The Big Show one not so much, but when he came to Raw as new leader of Nexus he was very much a top star. The thing with Cena ended a bit abruptly and the feud with Orton has been shit, but it's still been one of the top two rivalries on the show for months.

• Paid Members
He wouldn't be the first person to be in that position, but if he really is that good he'll end up being the go to guy and he will have to be on top, how long was edge in that position before he finally hit the top level?

Not long, certainly it didn't take Edge years after his first big title wins (Punk won his first world title three years ago now) to become a top dog. Edge only really came to the forefront as "this is the guy that can do it all" with the Matt Hardy stuff in summer-autumn 2005, and he won the title the following January. Then he was feuding with Cena on top of Raw for most of 2006, and from May 2007 he was Smackdown's resident top baddie. As soon as he won the title the first time, Edge was pretty much made.

Punk's more of a Jericho character, I think. Wins the title now and again, but goes up and down the card. Although he's not fallen far down. Over the last year, his feud with Rey Mysterio was main event level. The Big Show one not so much, but when he came to Raw as new leader of Nexus he was very much a top star. The thing with Cena ended a bit abruptly and the feud with Orton has been shit, but it's still been one of the top two rivalries on the show for months.

My point was Edge was about as a singles for years, 01 to 05/06 more often than not in an upper mid card role similar to punk, and was tagging for a while before that, before he was finally pushed into the top select set for being a great hand and having a character that was getting a reaction and less on winning a belt. That was what the article said punk was unhappy with from my interpretation. Much like the Jericho example though, Punks not the first to be there. Punks been there some 6 year I believe and is involved in/has been involved in plenty of big things over the last year or so. but yeah as you say, and agree I think, he's not really been forgotten or not involved at a top level. I've always thought he was doing well, all things considered.

• Paid Members

To me, it really just looks like he's angling for a better deal. With all the losses WWE's sustained recently to its main event tier, he clearly knows they can't afford to lose him. There's no better time for upper-level talent to negotiate, and Punk seems to me to be the type to be smart enough to strike when the iron's hot.

Also, whilst he may not have other pursuits like Jericho, I reckon both he and WWE know he's perfectly happy working in Japan, and that Zero-One would have him back like a shot if he became a free agent. And with the GTS as his finisher, there's a ready-made feud for him with KENTA should NOAH come a-knocking.

I can see why he's taking time off if its burnout, doesn't taking pain killers kinda go against Straight Edge?

Not as such. Straight Edge culture was born out of a reaction to the excessive lifestyle associated with the original punk movement in the 1970's. In basic terms, 'Straight Edge' follows a 'clean-living' mantra, staying clean of alcohol, tobaco and recreational drugs. Other elements might see straight edgers refrain from promiscuous (spelling?) sex and sometimes follow a vegetarian/vegan diet.

If your looking at not taking any kind of medication, then that would be the 'Hardline' subculture, which is very similar to Straight Edge. 'Hardliners' also take strong stances against slaughter of animals and abortion. Hardline philosophy is rooted in what is sometimes refered to as the 'sacredness of innocent life' ethic.

Hardline is essentially CM Punk's self-rightous straight edge heel gimmick, amplified

He won't go to TNA, if it is true he'll simply pull a Jericho, take some time off and come back. I'm sure Punk might just be thinking his character is a little stale given he's been doing the same thing for a couple of years now. A year (or two) off would go him good, let him heal up. If he is really straight edge and doesn't take anything I'm sure his body is hurting like fuck.

• Paid Members
He won't go to TNA, if it is true he'll simply pull a Jericho

As I said earlier, Jericho was on much bigger money than CM Punk was and his merchandise sales pissed on what Punk does. If TNA offered Punk an RVD sized contract ($600,000 a year) I cant see how he'd turn it down. Money is thicker than water as they say. RVD was never, ever keen on a move to TNA, but soon changed his mind when the money was offered. Punk's a big star, great on the microphone and attractive to Spike TV because he's a WWE wrestler who everyone knows. If TNA made a big offer for him, WWE would never match it because they wouldnt feel he's worth it. The money Anderson is on (who wasnt half the star Punk is) shows they will pay him a big contract. Jericho was is a far better position than Punk is in as far as leverage.

Archived