Wrestlers you wanted to do well, but didn't

Ron Simmons

Half the wwe midcard at the moment. Evan Bourne a classic old school high flyer who people could get behind, Daniel Bryan is awesome, and can be the mid card wrestler who delivers great solid matches with anyone. Kofi I love because he wears brights colours and is something different. Then there is Wade Barett, stuck with the lifeless Corre, he really should be on his own being a bad ass. While Justin Gabriel could be turning face.

Its just the writers don't seem to care unless you are in the main event.

Echo Blitzkreig love

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Half the wwe midcard at the moment. Evan Bourne a classic old school high flyer who people could get behind, Daniel Bryan is awesome, and can be the mid card wrestler who delivers great solid matches with anyone. Kofi I love because he wears brights colours and is something different. Then there is Wade Barett, stuck with the lifeless Corre, he really should be on his own being a bad ass. While Justin Gabriel could be turning face.

Disagree here. When Gabriel first debuted, I thought, "Yeah ok, high flying babyface, standard." But as a heel in Nexus, I think he is the stand out player. His facial expressions alone are money as a cocky heel, he could be a huge breakout star if pushed once out of Nexus. He just needs to work on his mic skills a bit.

Hmmmm, Evan Bourne is in the right posistion for me, as he is useful in it. The thing with Bourne is he can crushed one week and not be damaged by it as everyone in the crowd knows he is one 'Airbourne' from being on the winning end. Both WWE and Bourne have done a trumendous job getting the move over, and whilst it may be easy to with an impressive move like that I feel he deserves credit for it as Kidman (definately) and Paul London (to a lesser extent) have not done as well with it.

Agree on Barrett, the Corre are awful because they are not the Nexus and WWE are trying to make them the Nexus. He should be given a chance on his own.

As for everyone else, if Vince felt they could carry a multi-national wrestling promotion in a better posistion they would be there.

The HeartThrobs.

Had a chance to be a cocky, obnoxious tag team with a decent run, but, WWE doesn't like tag teams that don't consist of two already established main preventer, with their names amalgamated to be one.

While the Heart Throbs were around, WWE had loads of (mostly similarly shit) tag teams that weren't main eventers. Regal and Tajiri, Hassan and Daivari, Hurricane and Rosey, the Dicks, La Resistance, MNM and the Bashams, Cade and Murdoch, Venis and Viscera, Simon Dean and Maven, probably a few more I'm forgetting.

• Paid Members

I remember getting excited about Kizarny coming to SmackDown. I still maintain the guy had a cool, unique look and a lot of natural charisma. I had seen him previously in FCW and thought he had a lot of (mid-card) potential. Shame his 'coming soon' vignettes ended up lasting longer than his WWE career actually did.

• Paid Members
Hmmmm, Evan Bourne is in the right posistion for me, as he is useful in it. The thing with Bourne is he can crushed one week and not be damaged by it as everyone in the crowd knows he is one 'Airbourne' from being on the winning end. Both WWE and Bourne have done a trumendous job getting the move over, and whilst it may be easy to with an impressive move like that I feel he deserves credit for it as Kidman (definately) and Paul London (to a lesser extent) have not done as well with it.

Thing is, for all the things wrong with London (and there were plenty), his SSP wasn't one of them. Personally I think it's the best one I've ever seen - I'm not such a fan of Bourne's. London didn't get it over because he was told to drop it within two weeks of debut; there'd been some directive he wasn't allowed to use it.

It's a shame, because I think it's the ONE thing he had which could have gotten him a bit more over than he was in the end; not much, but I think his run would've endured a little longer. The 450 he ended up using is a cool move, but it doesn't have that pure "wow! What a spectacular move!" factor that an SSP has, I think.

While the Heart Throbs were around, WWE had loads of (mostly similarly shit) tag teams that weren't main eventers. Regal and Tajiri, Hassan and Daivari, Hurricane and Rosey, the Dicks, La Resistance, MNM and the Bashams, Cade and Murdoch, Venis and Viscera, Simon Dean and Maven, probably a few more I'm forgetting.

My point is, though, there were a decent gimmicky tag team. I think they could have had potential to be a koslov/santino style team.

La REs, MNM, etc, are all great. I'm a sucker for teams that are PROPER teams, like matching attire, matching or complimenting gimmicks, not a hash-bash thrown together team consisiting of people they've got nothing for at the time.

• Paid Members

La Res, for me, fit into both this thread and the "Wrestlers you wished were good" thread. Grenier and Dupree were awful, but I fucking loved the entrance music, the attire, and both their double spinebuster double-team and the twisty neckbreaker one. I also thought they started going downhill when they brought in Rob Conway and changed to being Quebecois instead of French. Conway was OK, but he just didn't fit in with them, I thought, and the Grenier/Conway combo just wasn't as good.

In terms of them doing well - yes, they became tag champs a few times, but what I mean is that I wished they'd done well in an era when the tag division was worth two shits. If they'd come in during the E&C/Dudleyz/Hardyz/APA period, I think they'd have been great to watch.

• Paid Members
If they'd come in during the E&C/Dudleyz/Hardyz/APA period, I think they'd have been great to watch.

If they'd have been around during that era, they'd have been in OVW until they were in their late 20s. The reason La Resistance was even put together, was because the tag division was dead. In 2000 there were so many tag teams about who were super over with the crowd, the two Frenchies wouldnt have gotten a look in. If they bored the tits off people when there were no tag teams worth a shit, the APA, the Dudleys, Too Cool, Edge and Christian, the Hardys, Head Cheese and the Posse would have obliterated the them.

• Paid Members
If they'd come in during the E&C/Dudleyz/Hardyz/APA period, I think they'd have been great to watch.

If they'd have been around during that era, they'd have been in OVW until they were in their late 20s. The reason La Resistance was even put together, was because the tag division was dead. In 2000 there were so many tag teams about who were super over with the crowd, the two Frenchies wouldnt have gotten a look in. If they bored the tits off people when there were no tag teams worth a shit, the APA, the Dudleys, Too Cool, Edge and Christian, the Hardys, Head Cheese and the Posse would have obliterated the them.

I'd normally agree, but I think the fact they were so stolid meant they could've been excellent foils for the more exciting teams to "bounce" off, so to speak. The boring bastards who hold on to the belts, so that the high-energy faces could chase and eventually beat them for the titles.

• Paid Members

Watching Havoc '98, Wrath circa about then.

He was popular and over as hell using the Meltdown, and I fancied him as sort-of-maybe a big deal to come. But of course WcW wasn't thinking too far ahead of terms of letting new stars develop, and Wrath fell off the map after he lost to Bam Bam at Souled Out.

• Paid Members

I've been taught to always get behind a man who did a interview when you pressed "O" on WCW Thunder for the PSOne. Especially when he champions that he's "big, bad and dangerous to know". The Meltdown and the Death Penalty were awesome moves at the time. His best years were in Kronik, though. They were awesome.

Wrath was on a tremendous roll in Autumn/Winter 1998. Then they booked him to lose to Nash, presumably to give Nash a bit more credibility before going after Goldberg's streak... and that was it for Wrath. :-(

Archived