LDN's Sanjay Bagga

Beckham's Right Foot

Is that the nwa uk junior heavyweight champion Cell you are talking about??

I do hope you're not trying to make out that holding the NWA:UK junior belt is a reason to think he's good, DKJ. I've actually seen the guy in action, and I was not impressed by the lack of effort he made at the time. Maybe he's improved, but there's no excuse for coming out in trainers, trackie bottoms and to a current WWE wrestler's music for a match, so I hope he's remedied that.

He has improved over time. As for his ring attire most people in their early stages wear trainers n trackie bottoms untill they get proper boots and the proper ring attire, As it goes for the ring music from my understanding it was more of the promoters choice.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to clear the Johnny Saint thing up: He wrestled on November 27th 2007 for LDN in Broxbourne. To my knowledge, this was his first "return match". On January 27th 2008 he wrestled on an IPW Show in Orpington, then did a handful of other shows (IPW, LDN, Orig Williams, wXw in Germany), before he had a match against Danny Collins for Brian Dixon in Hanley on November 15th, 2008.

Now I do not know whether this was his only All Star show and whether this is the match in question, but everything that's been posted here points towards him only having one match for Brian Dixon, which to my knowledge is true. So based on this, it was LDN first, then IPW, and then some other shows before All Star. He did some LDN appearances even after that, so thus may be the confusion.

Just to add to this, i put the question to the man himself and turns out it wasnt Brian Dixon OR Sanjay Bagga that he made his comeback for. Just had a text from john to say that when he came back he did a training seminar for WAW, but the first promoter he wrestled for was dan edler.

Just to clear the Johnny Saint thing up: He wrestled on November 27th 2007 for LDN in Broxbourne. To my knowledge, this was his first "return match". On January 27th 2008 he wrestled on an IPW Show in Orpington, then did a handful of other shows (IPW, LDN, Orig Williams, wXw in Germany), before he had a match against Danny Collins for Brian Dixon in Hanley on November 15th, 2008.

Now I do not know whether this was his only All Star show and whether this is the match in question, but everything that's been posted here points towards him only having one match for Brian Dixon, which to my knowledge is true. So based on this, it was LDN first, then IPW, and then some other shows before All Star. He did some LDN appearances even after that, so thus may be the confusion.

Just to add to this, i put the question to the man himself and turns out it wasnt Brian Dixon OR Sanjay Bagga that he made his comeback for. Just had a text from john to say that when he came back he did a training seminar for WAW, but the first promoter he wrestled for was dan edler.

Not being funny, but he's wrong himself then.

IPW's Official Results

IPW January 2008.

LDN was November 2007. As you can see here, the video was uploaded in November 2007:

Not being funny, but he's wrong himself then.

IPW's Official Results

IPW January 2008.

LDN was November 2007. As you can see here, the video was uploaded in November 2007:

Maybe he is wrong himself,thats possible. But he's also confirmed that his first wrestling booking was through Ricky Knight,who was acting as an agent of sorts for him when he first came back. Maybe Ricky should be asked?

• Paid Members
If promoters had the drive, business acumen and like minded approach of Bagga then British wrestling would be in a better place than what its presently in.

Would it really though?

Of course it would. He's saying if promoters were better, British Wrestling would be better. It's very simple logic.

So are you saying if promoters had the drive, business acumen and like minded approach of Bagga then British wrestling would be in a worse place than what it's presently in? Impossible. Nobody is saying it would be at it's peak - but "better". Replace 1 Staniforth with a Bagga and it's already "better". Do that dozens of times for every shitarse promoter, and of course it's "better". DUH!

I'm sure. You could also ask all the fans that went to both shows. Or you could look at the evidence provided. Your choice.

I stand corrected,i have just had it confirmed by john that his first booking was indeed for dan edler,but he was there in a non-wrestling capacity. His first actual match was for all star a couple of months after doing the training seminar, and the booking was through ricky knight who put brian dixon back in touch with him. He took the LDN bookings himself,but was only accepting shows through ricky knight at the very beginning. Hope this clears things up

Of course it would. He's saying if promoters were better, British Wrestling would be better. It's very simple logic.

Except logically speaking, there's a missing premiss there.

So are you saying if promoters had the drive, business acumen and like minded approach of Bagga then British wrestling would be in a worse place than what it's presently in?

:laugh:

The fact that Bagga gets fellated on here for doing what he does shows that things really couldn't get any worse, so no. The drive is admirable, the business acumen is down to debate though I suppose in the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king, but no I don't think more promoters with a 'like minded' approach to quality of shows and treatment of performers would make for a British Wrestling being in a better place. There is a certain subjectivity to that opinion for sure, but I stand by it.

The fact that Bagga gets fellated on here for doing what he does shows that things really couldn't get any worse, so no. The drive is admirable, the business acumen is down to debate though I suppose in the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king, but no I don't think more promoters with a 'like minded' approach to quality of shows and treatment of performers would make for a British Wrestling being in a better place. There is a certain subjectivity to that opinion for sure, but I stand by it.

I know I started this, because of the way his article comes across, but I think your issues with the man go way deeper than that. I don't even post very often, but I read the UKFF every day, and I have done for a long time, and whenever someone pops up laying into a promoter or wrestler, it's usually a rival promotion or a failed trainee or wrestler.

I think Bagga's got a bit of an ego on him, which is the reason for this thread, but to say the British Wrestling business wouldn't do better with more promoters like Bagga is stupid. He's a proper businessman, not a mark who couldn't get booked elsewhere, so he's running his own shows and making himself Champion of the Universe. If that article is correct, and I think it could be, he's running shows nearly every 2 days, on average. That's a long running business. His business acumen? "The ability to make good judgments and quick decisions". Clearly he makes good judgements. He's been in business a long time, with no sign of slowing down. As others have said, he's only young.

I know I started this, because of the way his article comes across, but I think your issues with the man go way deeper than that. I don't even post very often, but I read the UKFF every day, and I have done for a long time, and whenever someone pops up laying into a promoter or wrestler, it's usually a rival promotion or a failed trainee or wrestler.

Yes, sure - I was involved in the very early TV, created John Chapman's lifecoach gimmick and a few other bits. We did end up squabbling and my life was filling up with sexier pursuits and so I got on with my life. I found out later that Bagga chatted some shit about me (I think it was posted in the RIM secret forums) and denied it when confronted about it, and so I have no problem expressing my opinion about him and about LDN. It's really not a big deal to me though, just larks, and my scorn is not for Bagga (who I actually think is stunted by his early growth and would probably be better off long-term trying to make it in some other game) as such but for those who see him as some great business man. But by all means see me as some bitter guy, your opinion is worthless.

He's not running 200 shows this year. He's not running 100 shows this year. The number will probably be nearer 50 than 100 - check the website. That is still a large number relative to other promotions, for sure, but a sign that things are, contrary to your rhetoric, 'slowing down'. The online TV show is 'taking a break' and his article is trading on past glories. Legends Showdown was well over three years ago. So yes, I'd say there are signs of slowdown if you actually look.

I'm not interested in any British wrestling 'business' where the wrestlers are all hobbyists. During the whole Kendo business, Bagga revealed that his LDN Champion of the time would only receive 'at best'

Bagga's issue isnt that hes a bad business man, its that hes not got the wrestling brain to get his product much beyond the point its at. Now I cant honestly say he has not got one already, but I believe he would be very well served in getting a high quality veteran wrestler to help him book the shows and talent. I will concede however, the fact that LDN are still going and breaking in new areas does pay testament to how good of a business man Bagga is..... I just get the feeling that it wouldnt serve well for him to keep hearing it.

• Paid Members
I'm not interested in any British wrestling 'business' where the wrestlers are all hobbyists. During the whole Kendo business, Bagga revealed that his LDN Champion of the time would only receive 'at best'

• Paid Members
Is that the nwa uk junior heavyweight champion Cell you are talking about??

I do hope you're not trying to make out that holding the NWA:UK junior belt is a reason to think he's good, DKJ. I've actually seen the guy in action, and I was not impressed by the lack of effort he made at the time. Maybe he's improved, but there's no excuse for coming out in trainers, trackie bottoms and to a current WWE wrestler's music for a match, so I hope he's remedied that.

He has improved over time. As for his ring attire most people in their early stages wear trainers n trackie bottoms untill they get proper boots and the proper ring attire, As it goes for the ring music from my understanding it was more of the promoters choice.

Sorry, they don't, and anyone who thinks they do is wrong. It's unacceptable, and unprofessional. If you can't afford ring gear, borrow it - it's that simple. Trackie bottoms and trainers belong in the school. People are paying to see a show, and they don't want to see someone dressed like them - half the point of wrestling gear is to show the crowd you're a pro doing a pro job. Doesn't matter if they're in their early stages; the moment you tout yourself as a professional, you have to behave and look like a professional, half-arsing it just puts the lie to the claim.

As to Sanjay Bagga, my personal view is that the guy is a phenomenal advertiser, but his product is not so great. I honestly feel that the larger hall promotions outside All Star are emblematic of the problems caused by ego and/or personality clashes, and a chronic inability to see past that to do fruitful, gainful business. Can you imagine a promotion where the advertising and marketing was handled by Bagga, the talent relations and logistics were handled by Edler, the booking handled by (IMO) Don Charles, the financial management handled by Tony Simpson and the PR and corporate section was handled by Alex Shane? Would be a fucking monster.

Why even bring up wrestlers' wages? That is nobodies business other than the promoter and the workers concerned. It has been mentioned a million times on here befoe. What has this got to do with anything?

What hasn't it got to do with anything? Why am I not allowed to have an opinion about it? Clearly others do too. Your internet libertarianism is worthless.

Also I'm not surprised LDN's champion was a 'part-timer'. How many full-time wrestlers do you actually think there are on these shores? I think you're a touch away from reality here.

Some of the ones that work for Dixon? I'm not a touch a way from reality at all. During the peak LDN period, Bagga was in a position to pay a few of his workers enough not to be hobbyists. He chose not to, because there will always be wrestlers who will work for peanuts, ripe for exploitation - as he told me himself once.

Bagga has kind of solved that problem now by making his current champ Travis the head trainer. But from what I've seen, he probably shouldn't be training people.

Archived