Any good wrestling podcasts?

Stealingsilver

I was hoping number 100 would be Super Domino or Sex Ferguson (or both in the greatest podcast ever), still an ok edition though.

Cabana, Compton and Gallows filmed a live one when they were filming the second Wrestling Road Diaries so I assume when that's released, he'll release the podcast that week too.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a result of this thread and talk of episode 100, I've recently started listening to a load of old Art of Wrestling ones, starting with Punk in Episode 2 and just working through ones with people I'm into. Think I've listened to PAC, Ziggler, Beth, Lita & Daniel Bryan so far with a few others to go.

I love the conversational style the interviewee has due to the surroundings and the style of the podcast, but I think I hate Colt Cabana a bit now. He rudely butts in A LOT, and he's about 50% as funny as he thinks he is. His stumbling and LONG introductions to the interviews really get on my tits as well.

It will definitely be one I'll check every week, but I'll probably only D/L if I'm interested the person he's talking to.

Re. the AOW podcasts, have had a few in my ears while running around town and I have to say both Jerry Lynn and Shelly Martinez come across as the nicest people ever. The Tommy Dreamer one is good as well, another top dude.

As a result of this thread and talk of episode 100, I've recently started listening to a load of old Art of Wrestling ones, starting with Punk in Episode 2 and just working through ones with people I'm into. Think I've listened to PAC, Ziggler, Beth, Lita & Daniel Bryan so far with a few others to go.

I love the conversational style the interviewee has due to the surroundings and the style of the podcast, but I think I hate Colt Cabana a bit now. He rudely butts in A LOT, and he's about 50% as funny as he thinks he is. His stumbling and LONG introductions to the interviews really get on my tits as well.

It will definitely be one I'll check every week, but I'll probably only D/L if I'm interested the person he's talking to.

I think Colt comes across as a decent guy - he's a real hustler though, but I guess that's what he's got to do to keep his profile up and support himself as an independent wrestler...

• Paid Members

He has to try something I suppose. He's more or less admitted he's pretty fucked without a contract for one of the big promotions. You can't retire as an independent wrestler on the money they get paid. And WWE and TNA don't like him, so he pretty much promotes himself as CM Punk's Brutus Beefcake. And internet gimmicks have a shelf life on a constant timer. His podcasts are good, but it always depends on who he's interviewing. You just wish he'd shut the fuck up sometimes.

• Paid Members

My problem with him is that he's quite thick. A genuine idiot. Initially it's quite charming but quickly it becomes annoying.

I haven't listened to AOW for a few months now since getting Netflix but I only listened to ones where the guests were any good. I'd be surprised if he has done any that I have missed that top the Cliff Compton ones.

He has to try something I suppose. He's more or less admitted he's pretty fucked without a contract for one of the big promotions. You can't retire as an independent wrestler on the money they get paid. And WWE and TNA don't like him, so he pretty much promotes himself as CM Punk's Brutus Beefcake. And internet gimmicks have a shelf life on a constant timer. His podcasts are good, but it always depends on who he's interviewing. You just wish he'd shut the fuck up sometimes.

WWE-wise, I thought he'd be a really good fit around 2005-06 before he got signed for the first time - but they didn't use at all - then he got fired for buggering up a spot with Umaga, which struck me as odd, because I haven't really heard of them doing that with a wrestler before (a referee maybe?)

And nowadays, he must really be on the outs with them, as he's got CM Punk in a good position but he can't get him a job - he did have a dark match against Wade Barrett last year though.... and I'm sure WWE would have stopped Punk mentioning his name or wearing Cabana merchandise if he was truly disliked?

• Paid Members
And nowadays, he must really be on the outs with them, as he's got CM Punk in a good position but he can't get him a job - he did have a dark match against Wade Barrett last year though.... and I'm sure WWE would have stopped Punk mentioning his name or wearing Cabana merchandise if he was truly disliked?

Not necessarily. The vast majority of WWE fans don't know who Cabana is and nor do they care. It's not like Punk's going out there in a Hulk Still Rules t-shirt.

• Paid Members

CM Punk tried to get him a job when he resigned last year. From what came out, he asked for Cabana to be rehired and they were adamant that there was no chance. Cabana's actually a good bargaining tool if you think about it.

Punk: "I want this, this, this and my mate to be hired"

WWE: "Well, we'll give you this, this and this, but we aren't hiring him".

Punk: " :) "

Not many people actually do like him really. When he was in WWE, all the agents and WWE veterans thought he was a complete spanner. And outside of a comedy match (which he isn't even good as Santino at) what could you do with him? Steve Corino summed him up. He said once you get to know him, you like him. But when you first meet him, he seems like an ignorant dickhead who doesn't take anything seriously. Unfortunately, the agents, writers and follow wrestlers in WWE don't have the time to "get to know you". He'd be just another Zack Ryder if they brought him in. And if TNA signed him, he'd be a worse worker than Eric Young, who does the comedy gimmick.

It will be interesting to see where Cabana goes from here, considering he's done almost two years of the podcast. Surely he'll be running out of ideas for guests soon? He's been doing a few more WWE guys recently so maybe he won't be too bad off. For a while I thought he was spinning his wheels when he had a few lacklustre guests especially during his Japan tour, but he's had some good ones in the last few weeks and has diversified it a bit with Roland Alexander and Gabe for instance. It's quite cool though listening back to early episodes where his worries about where his career is going are prevalent more, and now he's at a place where he'll hang out at WWE in his sandals backstage and stuff. I wouldn't be at all surprised if at some pint he's hired part-time in the next year or two as a social media personality like Fink or Joey Styles. Sure he doesn't have the profile with the majority of the WWE audience but they've hinted enough to him in the last year where they can be educated. All they need is one of those wwe.com profile pieces, and he desn't have to appear on TV which is their cannon-stuff.

Also, thanks to whoever suggested Konnan's podcast which I've found incredibly good. He can be quite overbearing and very leading at times with questions, but like he says, the show is a mixed bag of what to expect and they suddenly go off on some great stories according to what he's seen/heard through his "sources". The stuff about Rey, Del Rio and Sin Cara he's discussed has been really especially interesting, like the gun stuff in Mexico, even if biased towards Rey. Having Court and Saint Laurent on as well compliments him nicely. Court being a former wwe writer has loads of good insight and stories, and comes across well in everything I hear him on, while Laurent provides the gems about Larry Zybysko and their house which they share (surely a reality tv show with Hall, Becky Bayless and Chasyn Rance could be piloted?). I just wish they could fix the sound quality though I understand they all are doing it through skype. It's also quite cool learning about Mexico's scene as I've only watched bits of CMLL.

Just seen that Court has his own podcast so I'm downloading that to throw on my ipod.

• Paid Members
I wouldn't be at all surprised if at some pint he's hired part-time in the next year or two as a social media personality like Fink or Joey Styles.

You wouldn't be surprised? I'd be less shocked to see Benoit walk down the ramp and say "it was all a storyline, lads". Joey Styles is the webmaster for WWE.com and former ECW and Raw lead announcer. Howard Finkle is the most famous ring announcer in history. There is a reason they are on WWE.com often. Colt Cabana is some bloke nobody cares about. They aren't giving him a job on WWE.com or their media department. They are big into social media. They have a big team of media people and have recently signed a deal with twitter. Cabana could write out the labels for the floppy discs I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely don't see WWE rehiring Cabana - wasn't he in the front row of the Punk-Cena match at MITB 2011? If I recall, Punk and Cabana hugged or something similar, and Michael Cole said he was a "fan". Plus, I'm sure Colt said fairly recently that WWE don't return his calls.

Anyway, I enjoy his podcast and I often listen to Total Wrestling Show, too. What do you all think is the best podcast for British wrestling? I've only been following British wrestling properly for a short period of time - and so it would be nice to be able to follow it regularly via a podcast.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived