TNA Lockdown

Loki

I'm going to watch the show tomorrow night on Challenge. Well, I'll be recording it since I've got a friend coming over and she couldn't care less about wrestling. On the plus side, I'll be able to just skip through the adverts when I do watch it.

I didn't stay spoiler free since I can't see the point in trying to do so for a PPV that I won't see for a few days. It sounds like an alright show, and the sentiment that Kurt Angle will most probably kill himself or paralyse himself in the ring may well ring true (though I really hope not). It sounds like a pretty good match though, and from things I've seen on Twitter, people are hyping it as being up there with Kurt/HBK from WM21. I can't quite believe it's as good as HBK/Undertaker which I've seen thrown about by a few people, but they'll no doubt have had a brilliant match.

Essentially, Angle just seems to have great cage matches.

His TNA cage matches against Desmond Wolfe and even bloody Ken Anderson were really, really good I thought. This one is another solid match to add to his list.

"Ultramale" Jeff Jarrett is a great thing also.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Angle basically does one insane spot a year, usually during a cage match at Lockdown. I guess he figures once in a while it's worth the risk.

Better than doing it every week in front of crowds of half a dozen, as a lot of indy workers do.

• Paid Members

Saw this last night. I thought Angle vs Jarrett was decidedly blah up to the point Angle landed on his head, and anyone comparing it favourably to Wrestlemania matches like Angle vs Michaels and Undertaker vs Michaels are mental. It was good after the death spot, but then the finish wasn't good.

The rest of the show was alright, but nothing particularly stands out as better than average. High points would be the Sabin/Red exchanges in the opener, Steiner getting big pops, me predicting the finish of the Knockouts title match while Madison was stalling, and parts of Lethal Lockdown once they got past having Abyss in at the beginning...

• Paid Members

I haven't seen any tna in a while and everytime I come on here it generally gets bashed to fuck, that linked to the fact that last time I saw tna it was in fact, shit.

However, I watched everything up until mid way through the morgan / Hernandez match and Iv got to say, I enjoyed it until that point. I thought bischoff had a pointless rant, his volume and smugness looked good, just a shame the majority of what he said was just a crap heat seek, not bad in total though, but he still seems to be hogans lackey with no purpose, maybe that's the point.

Anyway, the 1st flippy match was great for what it was, lots of spots pulled off well, fun to watch.

I'm not a fan of ink inc at all, I don't mind Moore but that other gonk is difficult for me to watch, I just don't like him at all for whatever reason. I enjoied seeing young back in the goof role, hes good at it, shame hes brough the sex fiend down to the jobbing level though. Scotty was well over, nice pop for him. No excuse for the crowd for the rest of the 1st half of show though, it was typically shite, wwe has had some iffy crowds now and again over the last year, where as tna always seem to have a mong fest in attendance.

Anyway, a pretty cool show until I had to stop watching.

I was in and out of watching this last night (missed the final two matches), and didn't think much of it. The all cage concept doesn't work for me as I think it trivializes the gimmick, no matter how many times Tazz and Tenay scream that they only do this once a year as it is so dangerous! I saw Brian Hebner officiate three times, and in each match the guy took a bump including the opener. Is part of Earl's deal that they have to pick up his son also? I cringed when I saw Angle take that powerbomb, and really thought he had fucked up his neck, whilst the moonsault was madness. I felt it was obvious that someone was coming out to stop Angle escaping the cage, although was expecting the Terry Gordy - Kerry Von Erich spot rather than Karen spraying her perfume in Kurt's face. Another tedious offering from the women, although if Mickie was as injured as we were led to believe no surprised it went how it did, though you could clearly see Madison dragging out her entrance to use up time. Oh, and Sarita is extremely hot.

Kurt Angle is an absolute mental.

It was a fun match, but the overly gimmick'd ending ruined it for me. Felt like the natural progression of that feud was a Kurt victory.

*EDIT* Also, Jarrett fucked up both the powerbomb and the moonsault with his positioning. He must be really trying to kill Kurt.

• Paid Members

The powerbomb wasnt even a fuck up as well. Thats how the spot was supposed to go, to make it look like Angle was hurt. As nasty as that looked, can you imagine if Angle got powerbombed back first from that distance? I doubt even Angle would have taken a powerbomb from cage height.

I'm in two minds about Lockdown. On the one hand Angle/Jarrett and the Lethal Lockdown match were both pretty entertaining, and I actually quite like the storyline going between Sting and Hogan (the problem will be if they actually have a match) and I don't ask for much more from a wrestling show these days and haven't for a while, on the other hand there were so many stupid moments that they came across as really second rate.

I missed the opening X-Division match but I can't say I'm too fussed about it. The four way tag match shoud have probably ended up with Scotty and Crimson just killing everybody. I don't really know why it didn't. Steiner was always going to be super over and Crimson should be given a considerable push considering he's one of the few new faces that has come along in TNA that looks like a main eventer. What's the point of having Ink Inc go over? No one's ever going to take them as anything more than jobbers. I wasn't a fan of the Knockouts title match ending so quickly either as I've actually quite enjoyed most of that angle. And while that mighth ave been because Mickie was injured, since I've seen that said in this thread, I'm sure they could have found someway to have it go a little longer. Its a cage match, its not liek they couldn't have taken short cuts. Hernandez and Morgan seem wasted in what they've got going. Hernandez seems like he has the potential to be a pretty good heel but he's surrounded by jobbers doing a gimmick which is only really understandable if you know what they're ripping off. If they're carrying on with Immortal, who now look like complete jobbers, then I'd quite like to see Matt Morgan added to them. Maybe in place of Rob Terry who probably wouldn't be missed if he was kicked out anyway. If it was handled right I think it'd help both Morgan and Immortal. I can't say I gave a crap about Pope/Joe, I can see why people think Pope should be face and there's no way he should be brought down with Joe. Joe looks like a zombie that used to be one of the fat slobs you'd see sitting at ringside for a WCW show in the early 90's. Looks are a big part of the game, qyuite rightly, and Joe's look doesn't go with the character he's playing. He doesn't look 'ard in any possible way. He sort of looks like a cuddly jobber. People have been makign excuses for him nto being in shape for a while, but what's the excuse for him not hitting a tanning bed? That'd be a huge step forwards for him.

Thankfully the upper card was better. The title match wasn't anything to write home about but Sting looked cool and it continued the storyline of Sting trying to stop people from going over to the dark side. Although part of me wanted RVD to actually turn heel. Like I say, if Immortal's carrying on then they need something. RVD leading them could have been that something. Jarrett and Angle was saved purely by the insanity. A lot of it was an utter mess. The first fall was awful, they had a referee who didn't know what he was doing (not that I can blame him) and seemed to go straighht into the finishing sequence. The match needed a lot more time if they wanted to work in the 'Ultra Male' rules. And I'd have swapped the first and second falls round. And by this point the whole production of the show got on my tits. It'd have been difficult to make it look any less professional. They had a cage door which wouldn't stay shut, thus completely ruining the point of having a steel cage and a film crew who seemed to think they were doing a documentary revealing wrestling secrets. Do we really need close ups on people calling audibles? Plus we had a close up on a blade job and several moments when even Mike Tenay, who comes across as annoyingly false at times, genuinely seemed to think someone was seriously fucked. The Angle powerbomb did pick things up, it must be said, but it seemed a little too close to the bone. Hardy and Daniels work on the cage looked dangerous with the steel bars running along the top and Daniels nearly took a tumble he wasn't remotely ready for. Then Hardy took a huge fall which we barely even saw. I don't even know if that was meant to happen. Risks are part of the game of course and I enjoy high spots as much as the next guy but I sometimes wondered if they'd considered the risk vs. reward factor. Some of the high spots didn't really seem worth it. Thankfully the finish to Angle/Jarrett was the Jarrett special, which I quite enjoy, and I actually thought it was quite good.

The main event was what it needed to be. A pretty dramatic and entertainign blood fest and I actually felt that Fortune came out of it looking pretty good. I was worried they'd have Immortal go over. Maybe some of the punishment to Flair went a little too far in terms of an old man getting battered, and then there's some of the high spot issues I mentioned earlier and the awful split screen moment which made it difficult to follow what was going on anywhere in the cage, but I can't say I didn't really enjoy it.

So yeah, I don't really know my overall opinion of it. There were moments of stupidity that hold it back in my eyes but there were two pretty entertaining matches. I think they should really try and build the show around Fortune, but I don't know if they'll tie in well with the Sting/Hogan storyline they're running with as their main narrative. Sure, Fortune's left Immortal but if they side with Sting then they'd just be too strong a group.

Havent watched the whole show yet but does anyone know what the turnout was as it lookled like TNAs best US attendance in a while as the stands looked full, although there was only about 3 rows on the floor and the never showed the hard camera side which makes me think that was empty and the usual 3000 were all pushed together

• Paid Members

Angle/Jarrett was better than anything on this years Mania in my opinion, crazy match...given the storyline it came out of i thought it was a fitting match.

oh, and Scott Steiner is fucking awesome.

• Paid Members
They should have put the womans match on between Angle/Jeff and the main event. Think the main event suffered because of following Angle vs Jeff.

That was the reason they put the title on between the two best matches. Thats the best you were ever going to get out of Sting, Anderson and RVD. Anything that wasnt abysmal was a bonus.

Archived