WWE Draft Monday 25th April

Ron Simmons

Boo hoo. Every feud The Rock ever had was a comedy feud as well.

Pithy, but an overstatement, I feel. His feuds with Stone Cold were largely serious, as was the feud with Hogan, and a couple of the Undertaker and Triple H ones. And Lesnar, too, and Jericho to a certain extent.

Not that there's anything wrong with a Rock comedy feud, mind - he's able to make anybody look good no matter how he plays it.

Plus, at the time, the Rock's comedy got over, more often than not. Cena's comedy is embarrassing and often falls flat, as blatantly pointed out by the Rock throughout their recent feud.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pithy, but an overstatement, I feel. His feuds with Stone Cold were largely serious,

The 1997 one involved them having cartoon brawls on trucks and throwing championships off bridges.

The 1999 one involved them throwing each other off bridges, holding mock funerals and hosing each other with beer.

The 2001 one involved them singing a Jimmy Buffet song together.

Rock was largely a comedy performer, as Cena is. Nigh-on all of his feuds were filled with ridiculous lines. I'm not criticising those feuds, either, I loved them. It's one thing to enjoy Rock more than Cena, but the "OGS is serious business and Cena doesn't respect it, comedy has no place in wrestling" mindset should stay in the pages of PowerSlam. Fin has a bit more credibility than the average mong as well, because he at least begrudged wrestling being fun even at the time.

Pithy, but an overstatement, I feel. His feuds with Stone Cold were largely serious,

The 1997 one involved them having cartoon brawls on trucks and throwing championships off bridges.

The 1999 one involved them throwing each other off bridges, holding mock funerals and hosing each other with beer.

The 2001 one involved them singing a Jimmy Buffet song together.

Rock was largely a comedy performer, as Cena is. Nigh-on all of his feuds were filled with ridiculous lines. I'm not criticising those feuds, either, I loved them. It's one thing to enjoy Rock more than Cena, but the "OGS is serious business and Cena doesn't respect it, comedy has no place in wrestling" mindset should stay in the pages of PowerSlam. Fin has a bit more credibility than the average mong as well, because he at least begrudged wrestling being fun even at the time.

I think that Carbomb's worry was that a Cena/ADR feud would be full of "bad comedy". Because while both Rock and Cena use a lot of comedy, Rock's often led to great feuds and moments, where as Cena's often lead to embarrassing lines and booing.

The point is that Rock was good at that stuff, and Cena isn't so good. It's not about everything being "super serious business", it's about stuff being actually entertaining.

Our Great Sport. Copyright Richie Freebird, 2009-2011.

I think that Carbomb's worry was that a Cena/ADR feud would be full of "bad comedy". Because while both Rock and Cena use a lot of comedy, Rock's often led to great feuds and moments, where as Cena's often lead to embarrassing lines and booing.

The point is that Rock was good at that stuff, and Cena isn't so good. It's not about everything being "super serious business", it's about stuff being actually entertaining.

It wasn't Carbomb's worry, was it? It was some other fella. And yeah, Rock was good at that stuff/we enjoyed puerile wrestling insults more when we were young, but the initial moan was "oh its Cena it will be a comedy feud, rolleyes emoticon" as though nobody's enjoyed a feud that wasn't serious business.

Our Great Sport. Copyright Richie Freebird, 2009-2011.

It wasn't Carbomb's worry, was it? It was some other fella. And yeah, Rock was good at that stuff/we enjoyed puerile wrestling insults more when we were young, but the initial moan was "oh its Cena it will be a comedy feud, rolleyes emoticon" as though nobody's enjoyed a feud that wasn't serious business.

Sorry, might not have been Carbomb. Didn't mean to drag the wrong person in.

I don't think it's just that we enjoyed puerile humour more when younger (I wasn't that young then anyway), it's that Rock's delivery and timing is waaaay better than Cena's. He was so good at that sort of stuff that SNL wanted him as guest host.

You can't blame anyone for fearing we'll get an un-funny Cena program (if they don't find Cena funny), it's what we normally get.

Anyway it's not like ADR hasn't had his comedy moments since he came in he's had quite a few dressing a Dog up as Rey getting smacked in the nuts by Hornswoggle and I'm sure there is a few more

No there aren't, and he's never even met Hornswoggle. Alberto Del Rio has only been involved in serious feuds with snarling and *** matches. Cena will ruin him if they end up on the same show.

• Paid Members
Anyway it's not like ADR hasn't had his comedy moments since he came in he's had quite a few dressing a Dog up as Rey getting smacked in the nuts by Hornswoggle and I'm sure there is a few more

No there aren't, and he's never even met Hornswoggle. Alberto Del Rio has only been involved in serious feuds with snarling and *** matches. Cena will ruin him if they end up on the same show.

To be fair on the guy it all boils down to personal tastes. I'd defend Cena from the "he can't wrestle" brigade till I'm blue in the face, but as a character he's grating as hell. I enjoy a good comedy based feud - some involving Cena in fact - his 2003 feud with Kurt Angle and 2003 feud with Spanky were excellent, I loved them. But as it stands I personally find his comedy awkward to watch. It often seems to tank with the live audience, and it's rarely funny. Similarly, the person in question might specifically dislike Cena's formulaic comedy, and not comedy in general. Incidentally, I'm not saying formulaic comedy is a bad thing, but when you don't like the contents of the formula in question in can be an unenjoyable thing.

To be fair on the guy it all boils down to personal tastes. I'd defend Cena from the "he can't wrestle" brigade till I'm blue in the face, but as a character he's grating as hell. I enjoy a good comedy based feud - some involving Cena in fact - his 2003 feud with Kurt Angle and 2003 feud with Spanky were excellent, I loved them. But as it stands I personally find his comedy awkward to watch. It often seems to tank with the live audience, and it's rarely funny. Similarly, the person in question might specifically dislike Cena's formulaic comedy, and not comedy in general. Incidentally, I'm not saying formulaic comedy is a bad thing, but when you don't like the contents of the formula in question in can be an unenjoyable thing.

I agree with that, Ron.

Pity, why is it than when someone says they don't like something Cena related, you always equate that to mean that they have no sense of fun and only care about star ratings and workrate?

No-one mentioned star-ratings or any of that. Someone just said they'd rather not see Cena drag ADR into his un-funny comedy routines. That's fair enough, and simply a matter of taste.

Pity, why is it than when someone says they don't like something Cena related, you always equate that to mean that they have no sense of fun and only care about star ratings and workrate?

Because your tears make such sweet lube for masturbation, Eddie.

I don't. There are loads of people here who don't like Cena, they're not all Dexterts. I do it when someone with an unknown record (like the poster I responded to) or someone with a questionable record says something that sounds Fin Martin-esque, and that particular comment sounded like something out of Fin's "everything with Cena has to be comedy-related and terrible, rolleyes" toolbox that's been used in every issue of PowerSlam for the last several months.

Because your tears make such sweet lube for masturbation, Eddie.

I don't. There are loads of people here who don't like Cena, they're not all Dexterts. I do it when someone with an unknown record (like the poster I responded to) or someone with a questionable record says something that sounds Fin Martin-esque, and that particular comment sounded like something out of Fin's "everything with Cena has to be comedy-related and terrible, rolleyes" toolbox that's been used in every issue of PowerSlam for the last several months.

So you jumped to the conclusion that he was a possible Fin Martin-like super-fapping, workrate mentalist. Just because he might be, and you wouldn't want to miss your chance to mock a "fapper".

So defensive. :D

Don't worry. I doubt Cena reads this forum. You don't have to worry about him getting all upset.

So you jumped to the conclusion that he was a possible Fin Martin-like super-fapping, workrate mentalist. Just because he might be, and you wouldn't want to miss your chance to mock a "fapper".

Yes. See even if he turns out not to be, there's always a good chance one of the stereotypicals will fancy a white-knight. As is the case here.

So defensive. :D

Okay..? Nice to see you've started adopting the posting style of others of your ilk. :D;):)

Don't worry. I doubt Cena reads this forum. You don't have to worry about him getting all upset.

Yeah, I doubt he reads this forum as well. Bit absurd of you to even consider it as a possibility, when the biggest wrestling name we've had so far on here is some bird that Billy Gunn shagged.

Archived