Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Devon Malcolm

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Off-Topic Edition!

Just checked on wiki & 'Die Laughing' is another good one.

I like Stanhope, but much like ROH and The Smiths, his fans are fucking arseholes. As Gladders pointed out, he has an Al Murray like audience.

I've seen Stanhope a couple of times (both in the UK) & the audience was alright but on his recordings from the states they always seem to be absolutely smashed. I always assumed this was cause' his tapings were late night affairs? Aside from the 'Chubby Brown' type audiences I'd say, for me Stewart Lee's audiences are amongst the worst in the UK. Love Stewart's stuff but his audiences are the comedy equivalent to the worst, hipster music gig audience. Cuntfest.

Yeah, good shout. Although Lee seems to hate them as well. I think the Stanhope thing for me is the way some audience members get excited when something misogynistic or drink related is said. I suppose it's the "Fratboy" element who aren't there for the social satire.

I think it is always the problem with comedians of a particular type like Stanhope and Murray - you always run the risk of people missing the joke and tone.I was watching 90s Comedian the other day by Stewart Lee and he mentions that you can't really pick out people who are laughing in "the wrong way". Murray's faced this issue for years, though.I also watched, a few weeks back, some stuff that Stanhope did at the Comedy Store in Manchester a few years ago and the audience definitely were NOT that kind - some walked out, some were physically dragged out, and one or two constantly heckled him. He really seemed to enjoy it. I think the problem Stanhope faces is that he is at his best when the audience is combative and uneasy - once they are settled with what he's doing, he almost has nothing to work with because he's not challenging his audience. He's still absolutely electric on his day, though.By the way, I really liked Before Turning The Gun On Himself, I thought it was a really important show for him, acknowledging problems he had encountered with his comedy. The Mitch Hedberg segment was absolutely brilliant.

IIRC that Manchester Comedy store was a midnight show & fell foul of the problems most midnight gigs have. People being absolutely shitfaced before anyone's even got up on stage. Stanhope's always been incredibly inconsistent tbh. That's part of his appeal, the fact that it actually feels quite dangerous, although his performance can be shambolic at times it feels genuinely alternative and refreshing when compared to the slick, professional comedy performances that are dominant on the UK circuit.

By the way, I really liked Before Turning The Gun On Himself, I thought it was a really important show for him, acknowledging problems he had encountered with his comedy. The Mitch Hedberg segment was absolutely brilliant.

It wasn't terrible but for me it fell really short of his better work. Agreed the Hedberg stuff was good & it was interesting to hear him say he'd rather just come out & do bad taste/dick jokes than the brutal, social commentary he got known for as it was depressing him. There's no way you can go out night after night getting that angry, addressing social injustices & the futility of the situation without it taking it's toll. Combine that with lots of booze & the length of American tours & I'm amazed he's not had a breakdown or quit by now tbh.

I think privately he probably has quit several times. Like you say, his style has got to be very difficult, but once he gets into his stride I think his delivery is the best that I have ever heard. I agree that part of his appeal is his unpredictability and I think there should be more of that in stand up. I couldn't really picture him doing anything else.

Richie is that bloke at parties that butts into conversations to ask your opinion on the belt on his trousers or something.

:D I was more interested in getting to the crux. What Richie was doing/going to do that made someone say he's getting on a bit? I imagine him building a treehouse or something involving rollerblades?

I miss not seeing you at shows Richie...

You miss not seeing me? :(
Maybe I worded that badly...I don't know. After a two months of living in Germany, my German is coming on strong but my English is pretty shocking.I miss not seeing you at shows now. If I've ever seen you 'removed' from a show, you're usually back in after a while. Fear not, I think my brother's making up for it. Apparently he owes you a drink from the last PCW show or something. That's what he told me anyway.