The Official World Snooker Championship thread

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I like to pretend that Davis was the best player ever, simply because he was so dominant and such a class act, but I think in my heart of hearts I know that Hendry was in a different league to everyone else.

Davis could fuck you up good and proper on the table, that was his great skill. You often hear the commentators saying that in snooker, your main opponent is yourself, and that's usually true, but watching Davis psychologically torture Jimmy White with his snookering, it looks quite different.

Personally I like to pretend that Davis was the best player ever, simply because he was so dominant and such a class act, but I think in my heart of hearts I know that Hendry was in a different league to everyone else.

Davis could fuck you up good and proper on the table, that was his great skill. You often hear the commentators saying that in snooker, your main opponent is yourself, and that's usually true, but watching Davis psychologically torture Jimmy White with his snookering, it looks quite different.

I'd agree with this as an assessment of Mr Interesting. Davis was like a computer, his efficient play ground his opponents down to the point that you could see the moral sweating out of them with every ball Davis put down. I do however maintain that Hendry was the better player. It got to the point that it was actually a shock when Hendry didn't pull off a difficult long pot.

The likes of Higgins, O'Sullivan and Williams just don't compare.

There was no evidence of him fixing anything. He was suspended for not reporting the approach.

I think it's a fair argument that he's the best of all time. His safety play is the best I've ever seen and he's not too bad at potting either. He's got an incredible temperement and doesn't ever know when he's beaten.

Hendry still tops my list but Higgins is up there.

I always got the impression that the News of the World released the footage to coincide with last years final to cause the most interest/uproar about their story rather than waiting fully until it had played out. Do I buy that Higgins and his manager were worried that they were dealing with the Russian mafia and therefore went along with what was said? No. Do I believe that Higgins was prepared to throw frames? Yes. However, because the NOTW went public with their allegations, before Higgins could throw the agreed to frames, there was no proof that he had fixed anything.

Regarding the best player ever debate, Hendry for me. I was a big Davis fan when I was growing up in the 80's (even writing to Jim'll Fix It to see if he would fix it for me to play him at Snooker - never heard back) and like others would like to think it was him, but Hendry was a better and far more dominant player than the Nugget. O'Sullivan could have been the best ever but will almost surely be remembered for underachieving, and I can't see him ever winning another World Title. I certainly wont be looking back fondly that Higgins now has more World Titles than the Rocket.

• Paid Members

I was absolutely gutted that Davis didn't go further last year. Still, I actually really enjoy watching him in the studio and you get the impression he isn't just on the circuit fully for the money, but rater for a love and appreciation of the game. It appears that Hendry seems to have completely lost this spark and that O'Sullivan doesn't have it in him now either. I'd earmark Selby, Jun Hui and Trump for future World title victories though if they keep going the way they have been.

I had Selby down as the winner this year, he form in the Hendry match was superb. He's coming across as a bit of a bottler unfortunately, I thought he would have had it in him to see Ding away.

I hope Mark Allen gets himself sorted out upstairs as well, because he's got a lot of talent.

All in all, people are talking about how Snooker is getting good again, which can't be a bad thing for the game.

• Paid Members
All in all, people are talking about how Snooker is getting good again, which can't be a bad thing for the game.

Here here. I remember in the last couple of tournaments there's been a few murmurings about where the game can go in the future, almost implicating that it's dying and that they need the foreign markets like China in order to survive. This year it seems to have been virtually all positive. I'd be interested to see the viewing figures throughout the tourne.

Sad that Matthew Stevens didn't get further. He looks like he's getting his form back slowly, but I'm not sure he's back in the Top 16 again yet.

Thing is, snooker can do all the short-form tournaments it wants, as long as it keeps the long game in the World Championship. I love the huge, 2 day matches, really sorts the men from the boys.

Sad that Matthew Stevens didn't get further. He looks like he's getting his form back slowly, but I'm not sure he's back in the Top 16 again yet.

Thing is, snooker can do all the short-form tournaments it wants, as long as it keeps the long game in the World Championship. I love the huge, 2 day matches, really sorts the men from the boys.

Matthew Stevens is back in at Number 14.

Mark Williams, after looking like he was playing with a piece of rope a few years back is now your new Number 1, fighting back from dropping as low as 43.

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

BUMP!

Who's watching, then? I think I might have a few quid on Ding Junhui this year as it's about time he won it. For commentator pronunciation based amusement, it would be funny if Dechawat Poomjaeng went far, though.

Archived