The Official World Snooker Championship thread

Devon Malcolm

Trumps fans were really annoying all night. Even when he potted a simple shot they were going mental and wooing like twats, really grated on me. Kinda turned me against him just to shut them up.

Same here, it's all good supporting a fresh face with a different style but it was a little too much at times. I was well pleased for Higgins winning, I thought it was a great final. Trump may have some great moves in his arsenal but he messed up a lot of shots a world finalist shouldn't be doing - he completely missed the target ball on more than one occasion. You could say it was understandable at his age and experience but I'm glad Higgins worked around all that and managed to grind out the win. First time I'd watched the world championship almost in full for a few years and I enjoyed it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't made easier by the fact that John Virgo was a complete Trump fanboy as well. Meeting good Higgins shots with grunts and screaming with delight when Trump did anything good. Treating a fluke as if it was completely fantastic potting, while saying with disdain about Higgins "he's destroying this young man's dreams."

I wasn't fussed before the evening session about who won, but fuck it, I'm glad Higgins won, just to get it right round that dickhead.

It wasn't made easier by the fact that John Virgo was a complete Trump fanboy as well. Meeting good Higgins shots with grunts and screaming with delight when Trump did anything good. Treating a fluke as if it was completely fantastic potting, while saying with disdain about Higgins "he's destroying this young man's dreams."

I wasn't fussed before the evening session about who won, but fuck it, I'm glad Higgins won, just to get it right round that dickhead.

Par for the course with Virgo I'm afraid. The guy blatantly has his favourite players and he can't hide his unashamed bias when it comes to commentating on them. He's a terrible commentator as it is, made far worse when one of his 'boy' are playing.

• Paid Members

Par for the course with Virgo I'm afraid. The guy blatantly has his favourite players and he can't hide his unashamed bias when it comes to commentating on them. He's a terrible commentator as it is, made far worse when one of his 'boy' are playing.

Nobody could be worse than Joe Johnson on Eurosport. Words cannot describe how shit and irritating he is.

• Paid Members

Wonderful tournament. I enjoyed it immensely. Judd Trump was a total breath of fresh air and John Higgins was clasy and truthful in his apraisal of him. Trump played the more exciting snooker but his inexperience showed time and again as he got 30-50 points in front and left Higgins an opportunity. There is no-one better in those situations and Higgins gobbled up every opporunity yesterday. Wodnerful snooker from both.

I thought the atmosphere was immense last night and I loved that people got behind Trump. It was fun to watch.

Higgins was a worthy champion overall though. He ground down Mark Williams and taught Judd Trump a lesson he won't forget.

• Paid Members
Nobody could be worse than Joe Johnson on Eurosport. Words cannot describe how shit and irritating he is.

I watched a lot of the tourney on Eurosport (for HD) and it took me about 8 days to realise they hadn't just got someone off the street in Leeds to state the obvious. Eurosport's coverage is quite good but he ruins it.

Yes, as with anything the BBC always come up trumps (no pun intended) when it comes to commentary compared to their rivals. Virgo aside, Dennis Taylor and Willie Thorn are always top quality compared to Joe Johnson on Eurosport. Even with things like the Royal Wedding, BBC have the wise old sage that is David Dimbleby, whereas ITV1 went with Philip Schofield. I'm surprised they didn't trot Keith Lemon, Peter Andre and some lass from Essex out to do the play by play.

Keeping it on topic, the Final was gripping right to the end. Judd's time will come, and even with his Tweeting and his McFly haircut, I feel like I should dislike him, but he just seems like he's having too much fun to really give a shit what I think.

John Higgins winning the whole thing soured it a bit for me though, because you can paper over all the cracks you want, bottom line is he was still fiddling games for money.

There was never any evidence he'd ever actually done that though, isn't that right Icon.

So, Steve Davis called John Higgins the greatest snooker player ever during one of the intervals. What do people think of that? Better than Hendry, O'Sullivan or even Davis himself?

He's not as talented as O'Sullivan, but untill O'Sullivan applies himself properly, Higgins is the better player. Unfortunately he's the only one of the supposed greats that I can really compare to because I've not seen enough of the other players at their respective peaks.

I primarily watched some games on Eurosport and found Mike Hallet and Alan McManus to be ok, but when I put the final session on Joe Johnson was commentating and after 5 minutes I switched to BBC for the first time of the tournament.

• Paid Members

There was no evidence of him fixing anything. He was suspended for not reporting the approach.

I think it's a fair argument that he's the best of all time. His safety play is the best I've ever seen and he's not too bad at potting either. He's got an incredible temperement and doesn't ever know when he's beaten.

Hendry still tops my list but Higgins is up there.

There was never any evidence he'd ever actually done that though, isn't that right Icon.

So, Steve Davis called John Higgins the greatest snooker player ever during one of the intervals. What do people think of that? Better than Hendry, O'Sullivan or even Davis himself?

Hendry for me. He revolutionised snooker with his style of play & of course has won more (proper) World Titles than anyone. I don't see anyone winning 7 or more titles in my lifetime.

Really enjoyed watching Trump get all the way to the final. Enjoyed him smacking balls in as if he were playing pool rather than snooker. His semi final with Ding Junhui was really good fun to watch and Trump had a lot of luck and the run of the balls getting past him.

Higgins is a top quality player obviously. I'd say Hendry was better in his prime but it is a close run thing. Unfortunately I can't really comment on Davis himself as I'm too young.

Enjoyed the Championship overall, and I agree that Trumps fans are annoying, almost as much as O'Sullivans group. He plays such an open and expansive style that it's exciting to watch, yet he'll no doubt change and alter to to find a highly consistent style, similar to what Hendry done later in the 90s.

For Davis to say he's the best ever is a caught in the moment statement. Hendry is without a doubt in my mind the best ever with Davis himself and Higgins firmly, but closely behind.

Archived