The Official World Snooker Championship thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
"Anyone fancy a nosh?"

Ronnie O'Sullivan is an absolute legend. However, I find Snooker incredibly boring to sit through, my friend said it was torturous live as well not making any noise and having to concentrate for that long.

Tremendous! Try not posting in a snooker thread then. It's really not as hard as you think.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering if Ali Carter would come onto form for this tournament as he is clearly a gifted player. I didn't watch any of today's play, but he is clearly going to be one to watch this time out. I thought his game was going to be tougher than it has turned out to be, but I definately knew he was capable of dishing out that hammering.

It'd be a great way to retire, to win one more World Championship.

Yeah, there was an awful lot of talk about Hendry retiring on the evening show even if he were to win his 8th World title. If he does call it quits I am sure the Beeb will add him to their ever growing list of commentators and pundits. Talking of which, sad to see that they dusted off Terry Griffiths for this years Championships, thought he had been put out to pasture years ago.

O'Sullivan looked tremendous from what I saw of him yesterday, and hopefully he is in that state of mind for the rest of the tournament.

Terry Griffiths usually does the Welsh Open. They are overdoing the pundits though, aren't they?

Absolutely. I don't know how Doherty managed to grab a position as a pundit as the guy adds nothing, and they can do with ditching Virgo (who stopped being funny somewhere in the early 90s), Griffiths and Foulds, whilst bringing back Clive Everton. I am a big fan of Dennis Taylor on commentary as the guy adds an awful lot of insight, and is pretty much spot on with all his calls and shot selection.

• Paid Members

Clive Everton splits opinion. He's like the Bob Willis of the snooker commentary box. Although he is insightful and knowledgeable and not afraid to call a player on something he does that he reckons is shit, because he's a bit downbeat at times he doesn't sit well with some people. They never really recovered from losing Ted Lowe on the commentary though.

• Paid Members

I suppose they need a fair amount of pundits to cover hours of action two tables. You're right though, most aren't very good. Taylor is terrific. Willie Thorne is alright and John Parrott is quite personable. Otherwise, they're all a bit dull and don't add an awful lot. Terry Griffiths fell into the trap of just telling you what was happening which is what's happened to most footy co-commentators on TV these days.

I watched the end of the O' Sullivan/Dale match yesterday, God Dale was the absolute pits. I'm not a religious snooker fanatic but I tend to watch some of the big tournaments. But the easy shots that Dale was missing made me scratch my head - I assume he must still be seen as at least pretty good to get to the Crucible in the first place? Or was it just because he was up against someone who makes it all look easy when he's on his game?

This used to be a staple part of growing up and i'd watch every second that BBC had to offer. I don't know if it was just through convenience of it being on TV when i got in from school as a youngster to pass the time before dinner or the fact there were some real characters back then but i don't think i've watched a full match in about eight or nine years.

I used to love James Wattana but even more so Tony Drago. Natural entertainer just looking he was going through the motions it was so effortless. Outstanding to watch too, he still holds some sort of record for quickest televised break i believe?

Archived