The Official World Snooker Championship thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

So, it starts on Saturday and already The Rocket is hitting the headlines:-

Ronnie O'Sullivan attempted to pull out of the forthcoming World Championship last week only to change his mind a day later, World Snooker has confirmed.

The former world number one, currently ranked 10th in the world, starts his campaign versus Dominic Dale on Monday. However, a spokesman for governing body World Snooker told the BBC: "Ronnie O'Sullivan rang us last Thursday saying that he wanted to pull out.

"He then called on Friday to say he had changed his mind."

O'Sullivan has not won an official snooker match since clinching the Premier League title last November and he has spoken publicly of losing enthusiasm for the game.

Following a first-round defeat by Ryan Day in the China Open last month, he hinted at quitting the sport altogether, saying: "I'm not going to say I'm retiring but you never know, it's not looking good."

This year alone he has withdrawn from two major ranking events, the Shanghai Masters and the German Masters, and 10 of the 12 minor ones that comprise the new Players Tour Championship.

But it appears he will now compete at the Crucible Theatre, despite flirting with withdrawing from the competition.

"[When O'Sullivan rang last Thursday] we asked for him to put his request in writing which is our standard procedure," added the World Snooker spokesman. "He then called on Friday to say he had changed his mind and no longer wished to withdraw from the tournament."

O'Sullivan has won the World Championship on three occasions - in 2001, 2004 and 2008 - and has been the world's number one ranked player on five occasions, winning 22 ranking titles.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...ker/9457992.stm

I reckon he will win it this year, as well. Who's everyone backing?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Nah, no chance. Quarter finals at best for him, I don't think he can quite last the distance any more. I don't think will Robertson will defend either. I reckon someone might come from the pack and make the final again.

I'm going to pick the outsider, Matthew Stevens. He's been out in the cold for a long time, but is apparently back on form, and playing in the Worlds for the first time in a few years.

• Paid Members
I reckon Neil Robertson is gonna win it again.

He's potentially got a hell of a path if he is gonna win it. Judd Trump inthe first round, coming off Trump's China Open win, is a tough one. Then potentially Fu, Dott, Ding/Selby to make the final. I quite fancy Mark Williams to go a long way.

I can't see Stephen Hendry doing much, the last couple of times i've seen him he's looked very out of sorts, i'd love it if he could have a good run though, i'll be supporting him. I'm picking Shaun Murphy to win it this year, worth a bet at 16/1 as well.

I think Hendry will struggle to get past Joe Perry - hope I'm wrong though.

I think this years winner will be Higgins. Williams should also go a long way.

i like Ebdon but he's not been performing at the top level for some time now, he might be done.

Mark Williams is a good shout actually. He's been approaching something near his best after a baron spell.

As for the potential path of Robertson, he is good enough to deal with every name mentioned.

John Higgins is another good shout. Even when he's not playing well he manages to grind wins out through sheer determination.

• Paid Members

Steve Davis.

More realistically, I think Robertson will take some stopping again, but when was the last time we had a back to back winner? Hendry I'm guessing? I'm going to put my money on either Robertson or Higgins. As the Cum Doc said, Higgins seems to have the ability to grind out wins. Failing that, I think Ding JunHui (sp?) is a potential candidate for the title this year.

Anyone but Mark Williams. He makes John Major look like the most charismatic person the world has seen. I don't think Ronnie is bothered about playing anymore and he'll go out half way through because he couldn't be arsed. I'd probably back Ding to win if I was gambling on it.

• Paid Members
Anyone but Mark Williams. He makes John Major look like the most charismatic person the world has seen.

And? He's playing snooker not Sir Toby Belch.

Archived