The Best Beatle?

WWFChilli

Who was the Best Beatle?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He didn't write Rocketman though.

re: neil: I'd never deny the influence that The Beatles had. To do so would be ignorant. However I do believe that they were a case of right time, right place. In many ways they're the original boyband. If they hadn't have taken off in the fashion that they did, some other band would have. I'll fully admit to never quite "getting" them. I don't like the music. Outside of Come Together I don't think I like a single song of theirs. And yeah, without fucking question I'm on Team Rolling Stones.

re: neil: I'd never deny the influence that The Beatles had. To do so would be ignorant. However I do believe that they were a case of right time, right place. In many ways they're the original boyband. If they hadn't have taken off in the fashion that they did, some other band would have. I'll fully admit to never quite "getting" them. I don't like the music. Outside of Come Together I don't think I like a single song of theirs. And yeah, without fucking question I'm on Team Rolling Stones.

I say this quite a bit amongst my friends and get shot to shit for saying so. because I dont understand! I dont give a flying fuck to be honest. Most overated band of all time IMHO.. Yes they have been influentual, doesnt mean that they are fucking brilliant like many claim though

Yes, Im agreeing with Carbomb and Sev

• Paid Members
Carbomb/Mr Seven....do you find yourself in agreement with my sentiments on them though? Even if their music does nothing for you I think there is something to be said for the direction they went in during that time period.

In relation to the Stones? I prefer the Stones, but agree they've been far less versatile. However, for me that isn't saying much - I'm not much of a fan of the Stones either (love most of their most famous tracks like Jumping Jack Flash and that's about it), and I don't think the Beatles' adventurousness makes them particularly interesting or great. It's respectable, but I really don't think it warrants the whole outpouring of "GREATEST BAND EVAR" they almost invariably get. There's a whole load of stuff from the 60s and 70s that I'd much rather listen to.

EDIT: Just to cover the bit I missed - I echo Seven and pat* that I recognise their influence and realise their significance.

*By the way, there's a good chance there'll be another tsunami, such is this great disturbance in the force.

Clearly Paul. He's continued to be influential, relevant and successful musically where the other haven't. I mean, when was the last time Lennon released anything good?

What did Lennon do? I've never heard any stories like that about him before.

This might be a bit of a "whoooosh" moment for me but by all accounts Lennon was a bit of a nasty so and so. Used to piss/spit on his fans from the stage, handy with his fists when it came to his first wife I believe and generally not a very nice fella.

• Paid Members

The Beatles were good in helping some people (usually mongs) believe that Liverpool is the greatest pop music city in the world. And it's always fun to laugh at those people.

• Paid Members

I'm not gonna get too involved in this discussion, because I've had a Beatles argument with Seven one too many times in the past, and I haven't got the heart for it. All I'll say is that I love The Beatles. No grand statements from me this time, just that I love The Beatles.

On Topic - Paul McCartney is my favourate musician hands down of all time, let alone just within The Beatles. I just I hope I get to see him live before he retires or dies.

• Paid Members

Any / all of the decent bands from Liverpool are instantly negated by the fucking Wombats, leaving it neutral at best.

In terms of cities that have produced the most bands that I think were class, it has to be Manchester. I'm not from there, but I fucking wish I was.

I've gone with George because he seems like the most normal one and had the fittest wife. Lennon just struck me as a bit of a pretentious tit (albeit a hugely talented one).

And yeah, although they wrote some great songs, they're just one of those bands who I can appreciate without ever really having the inclination to put them on my Ipod. Most of the songs that they're best known for are a bit 'blah' to me, but Here Comes the Sun is a thing of genius.

• Moderators

Music aside, it has to be Harrison for the amount of money he pumped into the British film industry. No George Harrison, no Life of Brian. Or Time Bandits, The Long Good Friday, Mona Lisa, Withnail and I, and so on. His help towards the Pythons alone puts him a billion miles above that peace and love, peace and love tosser Ringo.

The best thing Ringo ever did was the unused theme for Goldfinger:

• Paid Members
Any / all of the decent bands from Liverpool are instantly negated by the fucking Wombats, leaving it neutral at best.

In terms of cities that have produced the most bands that I think were class, it has to be Manchester. I'm not from there, but I fucking wish I was.

It really is a no-contest. If it wasn't for Oasis, the gap would be infinite.

Archived