More change is on the way for WWE. And its not coming cheap

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Why is he doing this? It never works. I would rather him spend his company's cash on making WWE huge again, try and get himself on NBC or something and promote it to hell everywhere.

WWE huge again? Is it not now? Plus, what the fuck is this NBC business?

• Paid Members
"he think's he's learned" christ, can we list Vince's branching out failures please.

WBF

XFL

the music labels

the production company that made No Holds Barred

what else is there?

Restaurant.

WWE Niagra Falls.

I completely agree with Butch. He built the thing into the money machine it is and his family are all worth millions without the company, so fuck them - they've had a good life and will continue to do so (look at Shane McMahon) with the millions they've made from jobs they weren't qualified for.

I wonder what he's planning on buying though. Stake in film/production studios? TV channels? Disney world? Newcastle United? It's really vaque. I kind of hope the old man gets his wish/dream of mainstream acceptance because he's given me years of entertainment and memories (even if he is of questionable character).

Scary thought, maybe TNA will buyout WWE after all.

• Paid Members
Speaking of which why haven't they produced a Rock/Austin buddy movie something like Tango & Cash

Wouldn't happen, but I wanna see a re-working of "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" with Hogan, Austin and Rock. If they can't get Hogan, get 'Taker - he's designed for Westerns now, anyway.

Vince is old. He's cheated heart attacks for yonks. It seems like his version of giving it all to the dogs home. Fair play to him. He built it, and it's within his rights to fuck it off down the bottom of a glass. It's what he's always probably wanted, and he's been involved in Wrestling visibly since Ray Morgan stepped down from commentary on tv, and it was his dad's anyway. He deserves to do whatever the fuck he wants now. And only a fucking idiot would say otherwise. He's put his time in, made his money, put wrestling in the mainstream twice. He's done well.

Not even that - he's always had the right to spend it on whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. He didn't owe us what he's done with wrestling at any time. It's always been his money, whether it was in the 80s boom, the early 90s "dark ages", the late 90s resurgence or NOW! I have a harsher view of the guy than some, but even I can recognise that his right to run his business as he sees fit is an absolute given, whether I like it or not.

Why is he doing this?

Probably because he thinks the wrestling industry is currently as popular and profitable as it's ever going to get. Realistically, I think that's true. I don't ever see another wrestling boom like the late 90's, the world is completely different. There are so many other choices for people to make and a massive "real" competitor too.

Hmm thats a good point actually, maybe he can foresee that wrestling is slowly going down the pan, Im not saying wrestling will be totally dead, but the interest level will continue to drop, this current next WWE PPV ER is a good example of what we have to look forward to in the future, and it doesnt look good.

Is this not what happened in the comic industry in the 90s? a big boom in the 80s-90s then Marvel went bankrupt? I think so, yes comics were and are still around but I dont think they have ever fully recovered to what they were, instead Marvel branched out into animation and movies, Marvel is clearly the leader in comics (DC is cool dont hate me) so if they could go out of business or hurt big time, It could possibly happen with WWE, maybe Vince is seeing that, I dont know.

I honestly wouldnt be shocked in the next 10 years if I see the headline, Zuffa now owns WWE.

Vince is old. He's cheated heart attacks for yonks. It seems like his version of giving it all to the dogs home. Fair play to him. He built it, and it's within his rights to fuck it off down the bottom of a glass. It's what he's always probably wanted, and he's been involved in Wrestling visibly since Ray Morgan stepped down from commentary on tv, and it was his dad's anyway. He deserves to do whatever the fuck he wants now. And only a fucking idiot would say otherwise. He's put his time in, made his money, put wrestling in the mainstream twice. He's done well.

Not even that - he's always had the right to spend it on whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. He didn't owe us what he's done with wrestling at any time. It's always been his money, whether it was in the 80s boom, the early 90s "dark ages", the late 90s resurgence or NOW! I have a harsher view of the guy than some, but even I can recognise that his right to run his business as he sees fit is an absolute given, whether I like it or not.

I know he owns the majority of the company but isn't he now accountable to the company's shareholders though? Can't imagine they'd be too happy about losing their huge dividends and potentially having their shares drop in price due to his outside business ventures not doing well, on top of which aren't the big dividends the main attraction for people wanting to buy WWE shares?

• Paid Members
Anyone up for chipping in for this, if it goes up for sale? We could get ourselves a little consortium going. I'm the chairman, of course, since it was my idea.

You're the chairman? Like the boss? OK.

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐

*stunners Ian*

I know he owns the majority of the company but isn't he now accountable to the company's shareholders though? Can't imagine they'd be too happy about losing their huge dividends and potentially having their shares drop in price due to his outside business ventures not doing well, on top of which aren't the big dividends the main attraction for people wanting to buy WWE shares?

I wasn't talking so much about the corporate side of things; more that I meant that, whatever he's had the power to do, he's had the right to do it since whenever. Should've been clearer, sorry.

I always reckoned that TNA, like WCW, couldn't properly compete or overtake on it's own merits, it needed vince to fuck stuff up. With this I reckon he might just do it.

Can't say I agree about WCW. It clearly did compete on its own merits.

Agree about TNA though - was actually going to say: I'd like to see WWE shrink a bit, for a couple of reasons:

1. Everything feels too "big" at the moment - really don't like the HD entrances, I think it detracts from the wrestlers themselves; the "Old School" edition really emphasised that, I think.

2. If WWE feel they're under threat from competition, they'll pull their thumbs out of their arses and start bringing back the absolute, top-drawer stuff they did before.

• Paid Members
Marvel was bought out by Disney last year, wasn't it?

Ah yeah I totally forgot about that.

Well then that proves my point even further I think, the question is who would buy WWE? my money is still on Zuffa, unless Ian gets his bid in first.

I dunno about Zuffa, the impression they've given all this time is that they REALLY don't want to touch wrestling with a mile-long bargepole.

There are loads of media companies out there who'd jump at the chance to buy a brand with the recognition WWE has, I think. They wouldn't be buying WWE, they'd be buying The Wrestling; there aren't many brands out there these days with such unchallenged status. I reckon Bischoff would buy it if he had the chance - pretty sure he's got the money to do it.

• Paid Members

I thought Zuffa and Dana White hated wrestling? The only reason Brock Lesnar was brought it was because he was a monster of a man who wanted to fight for real and was bad-mouthing WWE, not because he was a former WWE Champion.

• Paid Members
I thought Zuffa and Dana White hated wrestling? The only reason Brock Lesnar was brought it was because he was a monster of a man who wanted to fight for real and was bad-mouthing WWE, not because he was a former WWE Champion.

Not the only reason. In spite of UFC and Zuffa's distancing themselves from wrestling, they couldn't change facts that Lesnar was very high profile for being a wrestler and for having been a two-time NCAA champ too - he had both media presence AND pretty legitimate credentials, not to mention also being physically an absolute beast of a man.

They don't hate wrestling and Dana White admires Vince McMahon, they obviously don't want to be seen as the same as the WWE though.

If Zuffa were to keep Strikeforce I actually think they should talk to the WWE about production, Strikeforce want to look like an American version of Pride (with the ramp, pyro and fighter intros)but come off looking really cheap, the WWE sets always look great and every Mania they seem to get better and better.

Archived