Lack of WWE main event talent

A.P.

I don't think there's anything tangible about Miz's physique that separates him from credible main eventers, but there is something in the overall package - he can look just about credible in there with Cena or Orton, but stand him next to Undertaker, Triple H or Batista, and he looks like he'd be eaten alive. I think it's the fact that he's so damn baby-faced - he looks like a character from Saved by the Bell, and when he puts a suit on he looks like he's attending his own graduation. Maybe a beard would help?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The reason the likes of Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin and The Rock got over so huge was not only because they were extremely entertaining but they looked hard too - WWE need to remember this.

A lot of people think Ric Flair was the best wrestler ever, and he never looked particularly hard compared to other wrestlers.

I'm not so much sure it's looking 'hard' that's important, but rather athletic i.e. strong, explosive and powerful.

The-Miz-Fashion-With-His-WWE-Champion-Belt.jpg

He doesn't look in worse shape (or any less athletic, really) than the likes of Jericho and CM Punk.

Whilst you were trying to disprove my point, you actually lent even more validity to it. As said above, Jericho and CM Punk are two excellent examples of wrestlers who have/will never make it to that true megastar level, no matter how much they are pushed and no matter how many championship runs they are given (not to say they are not excellent performers in their own right). And neither of them look like pure athletes either.

• Paid Members
CM Punk, for example, plays his character of a nutter perfectly. He's vicious in the ring. The Miz doesn't have that.

If everyone was the same, nobody would be special. The Miz is such a dick, your supposed to pay to see him get beat. WWE havent really given him the backing they should do during his title reign. They seem to be keep taking him out of the water and putting him back in and dont know whether to run with him or not. If they got behind him, he'd be far more successful. Jericho came across much worse during his first title reign than the Miz. At least Miz hasnt had to take anyones dog for a walk.

I'm on about believablity, not that The Miz has to act like Jake Roberts all of a sudden. The Miz lacks that.

The Miz is an odd case though. What with the reality show thing and his burial by John Cena last year.

It's a combination of so many factors as to why he just isn't clicking with me.

From Miz's wikipedia, his athletic background:

Mizanin, a native of Parma, Ohio, graduated from Normandy High School, where he was the captain of the basketball and cross country teams.[1][4] He also participated in swimming, the student government and was the editor of his high school yearbook.[1] He then attended Miami University, where he was a member of the Theta Chi Fraternity, and studied business at the Richard T. Farmer School of Business.[1][4][6]

• Paid Members
I'm on about believablity, not that The Miz has to act like Jake Roberts all of a sudden. The Miz lacks that.

Perception is reality as they say. Whats more believable than a soft shite that thinks he's hard and ends up winning thus pissing the people off who think's he's not tough? He can easily be believable in that role.

• Paid Members

Perception is reality as they say. Whats more believable than a soft shite that thinks he's hard and ends up winning thus pissing the people off who think's he's not tough? He can easily be believable in that role.

I have no issue with him in that role. He's good in it. As you say he's believable in that role. When he starts kicking the shite out of John Cena or threatens a jacked up Rock is when I role my eyes. That's the problem, he'll only get so far doing the soft lad gimmick.

The Rock: He began playing football at Bethlehem's Freedom High School in the highly competitive East Penn Conference.[13] In addition to playing football at Freedom High School, he also was a member of the high school's track and field and wrestling teams. Johnson was heavily recruited by many Division I collegiate programs but ultimately accepted a full scholarship from the University of Miami to play defensive tackle. In 1991, he was part of the Miami Hurricanes' national championship team.[15]

Austin: After attending High School, Austin got a football scholarship at Wharton County Junior College, followed by a full scholarship at North Texas State University.

Ric Flair: After grade 9, he attended Wayland Academy, a coeducational boarding school in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, for four years (five years total in high school) during which time he participated in interscholastic wrestling, football and track.[10]

As a teen, Flair took a summer job as a lifeguard at a local pool in Minnesota, where he received his first exposure to the wrestling business when he met the legendary Vachon brothers. In both 1966 and 1968, Flair won the state private school wrestling championship and was recruited to the University of Minnesota on a football scholarship, where he played alongside Greg Gagne, the son of Verne Gagne.

• Paid Members

I have no issue with him in that role. He's good in it. As you say he's believable in that role. When he starts kicking the shite out of John Cena or threatens a jacked up Rock is when I role my eyes. That's the problem, he'll only get so far doing the soft lad gimmick.

You need to know your roll.

:laugh:

I'd actually disagree with you there. It's a bit more subtle than this. I feel what the Miz highlights is that wrestling is fake. In a real fight, he wouldn't last one punch against someone like the Rock, Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar, the Undertaker etc, or in fact half the WWE roster. I.e. he'd be knocked out stone cold (no pun) long before he had the chance to cheat to win. If you actually look at many of the great drawing heels of the past, then no matter how cowardly they were, they were actually pretty tough also (people like Harley Race). Therefore, they posed a dangerous physical challenge for the babyface to overcome besides their cheating. If the pre-requisite for a good main event heel is being 'a soft shite' then why isn't Michael Cole the WWE champion?

If you actually took the current roster, who do you reckon would win a real fight, either based on genuine hardness or size or athleticism or a combo of the above? I'd have people like:

Mark Henry

Sheamus

Wade Barrett

Dolph Ziggler

Jack Swagger

Ezekiel Jackson

Randy Orton

Mason Ryan

John Cena (because he is big and very strong)

• Paid Members
In a real fight, he wouldn't last one punch against someone like the Rock, Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar, the Undertaker etc, or in fact half the WWE roster.

And Rey Mysterio would last in a real fight? Or Shawn Michaels for that matter? Or Jeff Hardy? All of these look like I'd be able to knock them out, but in the ring, they are superheros. They are booked into situations where they highlight their stregnths and they dont do that with the Miz, so how are you meant to buy into him. The idea that you have to look tough to be a top wrestler is ridiculous. Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock would have main evented WrestleMania 15 if this was the case. Haku's matches would have ended with most of the roster having no nose left.

"He wouldn't last one punch" No shit. If you land a clear punch, most fights dont last long after that. Wrestling isnt about one punch. Last time I checked, it wasnt real. You pay your money to see people get beat or to see your boy win. You think people paid to see Honky Tonk Man vs Randy Savage on the house shows because they thought Wayne Ferris was badder than old King Kong and meaner than a Junkyard Dog? Fuck did they.

• Paid Members

You need to know your roll.

"role" /cheekyface.

Just to clarify, by believability I'm on about believing he is capable of being a solid WWE champion. When The Miz started kicking the shit out of John Cena or threatening a jacked Rock is when he comes unstuck. CM Punk isn't even allowed to do this without the help of the Nexus or some sneak attack.

For me he's a perfect upper midcard guy, like a Chris Jericho. He just doesn't have that little extra that is needed to be the star WWE so badly want him to be.

Whilst you were trying to disprove my point, you actually lent even more validity to it. As said above, Jericho and CM Punk are two excellent examples of wrestlers who have/will never make it to that true megastar level, no matter how much they are pushed and no matter how many championship runs they are given (not to say they are not excellent performers in their own right). And neither of them look like pure athletes either.

I agree with you, but I'm fairly sure that a lot of the detractors of The Miz do see Jericho and CM Punk as megastars, and think those two should be main-eventing WrestleManias and beating the likes of John Cena. Look at the outcry in some circles when CM Punk lost the title to Undertaker.

Like Ian said, it's all essentially bullshit anyway. We all criticise wrestlers we don't like for stuff that we ignore when it applies to our favourites. There are no set rules to what makes or stops someone becoming a main eventer. Before Steve Austin, nobody would've thought a sociopath in plain black trunks would make the biggest babyface ever. Jeff Hardy looks ridiculous, nobody would be scared to fight him, and he's rubbish at pretty much everything except connecting with an audience. Bret Hart couldn't cut promos. They became big wrestling stars, despite lacking elements that people might say mean they could never do it.

CM Punk, for example, plays his character of a nutter perfectly. He's vicious in the ring. The Miz doesn't have that.

If everyone was the same, nobody would be special. The Miz is such a dick, your supposed to pay to see him get beat. WWE havent really given him the backing they should do during his title reign. They seem to be keep taking him out of the water and putting him back in and dont know whether to run with him or not. If they got behind him, he'd be far more successful. Jericho came across much worse during his first title reign than the Miz. At least Miz hasnt had to take anyones dog for a walk.

Yeah I completly agree with you

WWE has tried hard to make main event guys so I think its partly come down to the individuals

John Morrison is an example of someone who they seem to want to make a main event star of but hasn't worked

Jack Swagger had the world title thrust upon himlast year and he didn't seem to do well there

It seemed like they wanted to elavate Kofi Kingston when he had his Randy Orton feud and that didn't work out

But I think they have been playing around with Dolph Ziggler as a main eventer and it works for me as does Alberto Del Rio who has'nt even been here a year and I think he is recognised as a main eventer

So overall I think the WWE has been good at giving the guys oppertunites and maybe they haven't done their best with it, or they have and they just aren't cut out to be a main eventer

Archived