Official list of WWE's banned terms.

IANdrewDiceClay

I can understand rebranding and branching out but the levels that Vince and company go to distance themsels from "wrasslin" is just rediculous imo and anyway does anyone seriously use the term "catch" amymore?

Honestly I'm a 20+ year WWF/E fan and its becomming harder by the year for me to stick with the company but perhaps its just age finally catching up with me and the WWE just isn't for me anymore.

You mean your age is "entertaining" up with you? :laugh:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I know people will defend Vince & WWE to the death, and ultimately it's his company & it wont make a diffierence to what we all call it etc etc. but I find it all a bit sad that he's so keen to distance the current product from what made him his fortune. It's obvious that Vince has always wanted rasslin' to be the means to an end, be it XFL, WWE Movies. Given he's failed at every non-wrestling venture the next logical step is to just change wrestling, but gradually so the audience aren't instantly alienated. We know Vince has always thought people are more interested in the characters than the performers (fake Razor & Diesel), how long before the storylines are overshadowing the in ring entertainment?

• Paid Members
Catch (as in "catch-as-catch-can") was a style of submission-based grappling practiced in Lancashire, England and later brought to the United States by immigrants in the mid-1800s.

It's things like this that make me feel sad about WWE. I remember how Monsoon used to give you a bit of history or add some kind of knowledge to a match "He's working a catch-as-catch-can style" it just felt like there was so much more depth to the commentary.

I know people will defend Vince & WWE to the death, and ultimately it's his company & it wont make a diffierence to what we all call it etc etc.

Who will? When people discuss things like this I rarely see many people come out in his defense, some may say it doesn't really matter, but very few defend it and most I see would probably agree that Vince's attempts to pretend WWE isn't a wrestling company makes WWE look a joke.

I have to echo what some other people have said, in regards to stopping watching. Wrestlemania really opened my eyes as to how bad wrestling has become. It's a severely crap product. Imagine CM punk actually having free reign on his character. It would be phenomenal. Now, however, wrestling is so fucking samey. All the flashy lights wont change that fact.

We know Vince has always thought people are more interested in the characters than the performers (fake Razor & Diesel),

What is the story with fake Diesel and Razor? I always thought they were meant to be ironic jokes or something, but I don't remember hearing much ever said/written about them. Was he actually expecting them to pick up where Nash and Hall left off?

how long before the storylines are overshadowing the in ring entertainment?

I think that ship sailed about twenty or thirty years ago, chief.

I remember reading a year or so back that the words "belt" and "strap" were banned when talking about any Title's in the WWE.

I used to believe that Vince would wake up in a bad mood and just randomly ban things.

There's a video of Miz & Jericho waiting for their cars outside a resteraunt and Miz explains that anyone can buy a belt from Walmart or somewhere like that. Its Championship or title.

About 20 years ago.

I think that ship sailed about twenty or thirty years ago, chief.

Great minds my son, great minds.

• Paid Members
Catch (as in "catch-as-catch-can") was a style of submission-based grappling practiced in Lancashire, England and later brought to the United States by immigrants in the mid-1800s.

It's things like this that make me feel sad about WWE. I remember how Monsoon used to give you a bit of history or add some kind of knowledge to a match "He's working a catch-as-catch-can style" it just felt like there was so much more depth to the commentary.

I know people will defend Vince & WWE to the death, and ultimately it's his company & it wont make a diffierence to what we all call it etc etc.

Who will? When people discuss things like this I rarely see many people come out in his defense, some may say it doesn't really matter, but very few defend it and most I see would probably agree that Vince's attempts to pretend WWE isn't a wrestling company makes WWE look a joke.

Look in the name change thread. Plenty of people claiming that taking the 'wrestling' out of WWE doesn't make any difference.

With regards to the fake Razor & Diesel. My understanding was that when Nash & Hall jumped to WCW Vince thought that nobody actually cared about big Kev & Scott & it was characters, not the wrestler portraying them that mattered, hence the characters continued.

By the storylines overshadowing the in-ring action, I meant..how many people would watch if Raw & Smackdown had one match per show

• Paid Members
We know Vince has always thought people are more interested in the characters than the performers (fake Razor & Diesel),

What is the story with fake Diesel and Razor? I always thought they were meant to be ironic jokes or something, but I don't remember hearing much ever said/written about them. Was he actually expecting them to pick up where Nash and Hall left off?

I always presumed it was either just a quick effort to push JR as a heel by presenting us with a couple of fakes, or to show that anyone could play the characters of Razor or Diesel. Either way, it was a failure.

Archived