Is Gauntley on the way back...?

Your Fight Site

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Tell you what, though: it's a shame about Gauntley in a way, because he was able to do something I've very rarely seen on the UK circuit, and that's creating fervent fan loyalty to his brand when he was at 1PW, in numbers that would have most certainly translated into financial success had the company kept going under his watch. It almost reached ECW levels. Only time I've seen anything like it was the old FWA; after that, I think there's probably only Triple X, and their numbers aren't really high enough, and maybe IPW:UK, who've taken years of solid work to build up their brand.

The other shame, of course, is that Gauntley was fucking loaded when he started 1PW, something BritWres had needed for years, and his business model was just too weighted in favour of foreign talent. I understand he wanted to gradually phase in British talent eventually, but it was too slow, and relied far too much on expensive Americans to be sustainable long enough to see that happen properly. Even more of a pity, because, in the last few months of his ownership, you could see British talent being visibly elevated - Spud, Martin Stone, Doug Williams and Darren Burridge in particular did well.

• Paid Members
The problem was that when those names did well, they got shat on. The fans that shat on them were the ones that basically asked for the death of 1PW, and they got it. Fuck the lot of them.

Did they? I'd only ever been once to a 1PW show, and that was in a "professional" capacity rather than as a fan. Was in Barnsley. For me, it highlighted just how good Spud is, and was why I now think he is the best worker in the UK: he was in a feud with a heel SJK, and was on for a Street Fight with him that night. He came out to a massive chorus of boos, while SJK was getting cheered. By the end of the match, most of the crowd was cheering Spud loudly - he knows how to get them in the palm of his hand, and this was BEFORE his Rockstar gimmick.

To be honest, I really hated the 1PW fans who came on here initially, because they were just horribly obnoxious in a cult-like way. If you criticised 1PW in any way, shape or form, they circled the wagons in the most twatty manner, and almost every thread where this occurred ended up in a massive flame war. Didn't help that Gauntley and his daughter got involved and kept stirring the pot with their whole "We Are 1PW! We are Family! Blah blah blah". It got to the point where I was amused and entertained when I heard that the King Of Europe Cup almost had its first instance of wrestling fan hooliganism when the 1PW lot came close to mixing it up with the rest of the smark crowd.

I was also entertained when I heard that, in one of the matches, all the promotions represented (I forget the rest, but Burridge repped 1PW) had some interference from run-ins, and 1PW's was a kid who tried a Swanton and ended up hurting himself, running crying to the back. It's not so much that I took joy from the kid getting hurt as it was from the fact that 1PW thought it was a good idea to be represented by a barely-trained, young teenager, and that it backfired spectacularly on them, making them look irresponsible and up themselves in terms of the adulation they got from their fanbase.

It was petty and childish, I admit, but 1PW's behaviour overall, including that of their fans, made them the heels of BritWres at the time. I swear, they should've taken advantage of it and had an inter-promotional war with IPW:UK at the time. Would've drawn, I reckon, insofar as BritWres promotions can draw.

You mentioning that street fight just highlights the mongs. Because what happened the shows after that street fight? That's right. Booed.

People even started making up excuses for booing them. "Aye, they're bad people" "You ever met em?" "Erm... no. But they SEEM obnoxious." Fucking morons. The treatment Darkside was the worst. People complaining because they had the cheek to put him over imports.

I was also entertained when I heard that, in one of the matches, all the promotions represented (I forget the rest, but Burridge repped 1PW) had some interference from run-ins, and 1PW's was a kid who tried a Swanton and ended up hurting himself, running crying to the back. It's not so much that I took joy from the kid getting hurt as it was from the fact that 1PW thought it was a good idea to be represented by a barely-trained, young teenager, and that it backfired spectacularly on them, making them look irresponsible and up themselves in terms of the adulation they got from their fanbase.

It was petty and childish, I admit, but 1PW's behaviour overall, including that of their fans, made them the heels of BritWres at the time. I swear, they should've taken advantage of it and had an inter-promotional war with IPW:UK at the time. Would've drawn, I reckon, insofar as BritWres promotions can draw.

The Burridge vs Tighe match you mentioned actually was part of an interpromotional war attempt against IPW:UK as it happened in Orpington. 1PW took a coach full of fans down for the match.

The kid in question is now in the UKFF 50.......

Oh and that was the first and last match of the 1PW vs IPW:UK feud as IPW:UK being a presence at a future Dome show never materialized after the two sides couldn't come to a working agreement......

I had a funny dream this week. Steven Gauntley and Peter Staniforth both got together and launched POWER TRIP WRESTLING 101! It's the promotion the competion don't want you to see and the promtion that will deliver all it's promises and if you pay for your ticket in advance you will not be screwed over. Then i woke up.

• Paid Members
I had a funny dream this week. Steven Gauntley and Peter Staniforth both got together and launched POWER TRIP WRESTLING 101! It's the promotion the competion don't want you to see and the promtion that will deliver all it's promises and if you pay for your ticket in advance you will not be screwed over. Then i woke up.

The dream is good. I didn't like how it ended though.

Excellent work, Gladstone.

I was also entertained when I heard that, in one of the matches, all the promotions represented (I forget the rest, but Burridge repped 1PW) had some interference from run-ins, and 1PW's was a kid who tried a Swanton and ended up hurting himself, running crying to the back.

Did that really happen? And if so, is it on Youtube?

Excellent work, Gladstone.

I was also entertained when I heard that, in one of the matches, all the promotions represented (I forget the rest, but Burridge repped 1PW) had some interference from run-ins, and 1PW's was a kid who tried a Swanton and ended up hurting himself, running crying to the back.

Did that really happen? And if so, is it on Youtube?

Yeah it did, but not exactly as described though.

No Robbie (X) did a swanton from the ring apron to the floor onto Tighe and I think landed hard on his back.

The poor lad was teary afterwards.

I will say, to his credit, he is the ONLY good thing to have come out of the 1PW training academy and is turning into a pretty decent wrestler.

i don't think gountlay ever cut ties for real with 1pw as the tag belt used as a pw101 title belt proved, bearing in mind that belt was auctioned off and and nather dilvered to who ever won it. wonder if the person got his money back?

• Paid Members

i don't think gountlay ever cut ties for real with 1pw as the tag belt used as a pw101 title belt proved, bearing in mind that belt was auctioned off and and nather dilvered to who ever won it. wonder if the person got his money back?

I heard a story about when the talent was told about the 101 belt. Everybody got excited, only to then see the old 1pw belt, with a small sticker in the middle.

I believe the old 1pw tag titles were auctioned off but the people who bought them were involved in old 1pw in some form so they did actually get the belts, Gauntley must have asked them to use as 101 belt.

No Robbie (X) did a swanton from the ring apron to the floor onto Tighe and I think landed hard on his back.

The poor lad was teary afterwards.

I will say, to his credit, he is the ONLY good thing to have come out of the 1PW training academy and is turning into a pretty decent wrestler.

I'm sure alot of people might find that slightly insulting ;) Although he is probably the best student to come out of the academy.

I'm pretty sure his brother has done quite well for himself too. IMO the best ref around these shores atm.

Archived