New Mortal Kombat Legacy Webisodes

andrew "the ref" coyne

• 3 weeks later...

Well at first I was quite impressed and thought people were being unnecessarily harsh considering its a web series.

Mind you, although I think the quality is still good for a webseries, but I'm dissapointed with the direction. The original concept trailer showed them going a completely different, more down to earth approach to the characters. But now that I've been watching it, they are merely rehashing the MK storyline. And that is very disappointing.

• 2 months later...

Episode 9: Sektor & Cyrax

Personally, I have enjoyed all the episodes from 1- 9 & really glad they didn't go down the more set real to life look that they did with Rebirth. That's just not Mortal Kombat to me, you can't humanise it. The mysticism & fantasy is what makes it although you can get away with real life elements for characters such as Sonya, Jax, Johnny Cage, Liu Kang, etc.

Now, whilst this may be a retelling of what we already know,I think the acting, scenery & stories are being told & done better than the original two films and this is coming from somebody who enjoyed both of them (even if Armageddon was a bit bollocks like compared to number one).

This is going down the right route with the franchise & you can see with each episode that Kevin really cares about Mortal Kombat, which is why he is a brilliant director to have on the project.

Hopefully WB give him the Green Light to do more episodes or to maybes even reboot the movies.

Or hopefully a TV station in the U.S. is more impressed by this to pick it up for TV airings as these are far superior to what Mortal Kombat Conquest was before it was axed.

I agree with everything you just said. I've enjoyed all the episodes and hope this series does carry on, or as you say they make a movie out of it, and these are all nice little ways of building the characters up for it.

Cyrax and Sektor looked badass in that episode

• Paid Members

I can't say I've been a fan of the web mini-series if I'm honest. I've just found it really hard to get into. I don't know whether it's because they've been released gradually and my interest diminishes in between each and every episode, but I gave up after the Scorpion/Sub-Zero one.

• Paid Members

The Scorpion/Sub-Zero one was the one immediately before the latest one. It just took them forever to get the final one released.

It began really poorly I felt, with the Jax/Sonya one, but it's built well since then. Just a shame each character only really had a mini story, and there's been nothing to really tie the whole thing together, just a few characters.

Still perhaps the best live action Mortal Kombat stuff thus far though, and I enjoyed the first movie too.

The Scorpion/Sub-Zero one was the one immediately before the latest one. It just took them forever to get the final one released.

It began really poorly I felt, with the Jax/Sonya one, but it's built well since then. Just a shame each character only really had a mini story, and there's been nothing to really tie the whole thing together, just a few characters.

Still perhaps the best live action Mortal Kombat stuff thus far though, and I enjoyed the first movie too.

Everybody seems to slate the Jax / Sonya story, which is fair enough, but, I think the premise of the mini stories has been a good thing, because, you have to remember, just because we're all slightly older and remember all the original MK games and stories, it's a whole new set of fans and people out there who will be playing the new Mortal Kombat game and only being familiar with the new / current storyline from the present game.

I think the mini stories covered enough info of each character for new fans whilst still maintaining what we know about the characters already and not doing the usual of changing things here and there just to make it seem more updated / modern and without going on too long for people that have short attention spans and don't really care about character backgrounds or just can't be bothered to research things, but there is enough there for them to get into and understand and grasp quickly.

Nothing is going to be tied together as this is only just starting out, that will all start to happen with whatever future WB decides to give this project, be it more mini webisodes, a TV Series or new Films. That's when everything will start to fall into place and be gearing into getting towards the tournament itself.

I really think that this is the best chance and promise that the Mortal Kombat franchise has had behind it in a long time in the Internet / TV / Film world and I hope they give Kevin a lot more freedom as well as a good cash flow to make Mortal Kombat something special and people will get into again.

Archived