Larry Sweeney has died

freaky

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
The Observer update just reported that he actually hung himself to the ringpost of a wrestling school. Jesus.

AS sad as it sounds, I could see this on the way for him for a while. Signs were pointing to him being a bit west on here several times, and it's a real fucking shame when someone takes their own life. Especially at such an age. It leaves a footprint and people struggle with it.

was gutted when i heard about this earlier. As I mentioned on my Facebook I had the pleasure of spending sometime with him when he worked at 1PW and he was a great guy. We shared a bit in common especially our love of the band The Police. I thought I was a fan until I spoke to him about them and he was an uber fan of them I told him i had seen them twice on their comeback tour back in 2007/8 and then he told me he had seen them about 12 times on this tour too in the USA and when he was going back to the states that he was going to see them at least another 3 times lol. We spoke for ages about them and he was awestruck when i told him that my old school teacher and Sting were best of pals his jaw just dropped and was totally giddy about anything about the the band though we both did agree the updated version of dont stand so close to me 86 was awesome!

Anyways he was a brilliant talent and its such a shame what has brought him to leave the world the way he has given what more he could have offered wrestling had he been in the right frame of mind to do so. Its a shame we will never get to seem him again.

I hope he finds the peace he could not find here.

RIP Sweet & Sour.

KC

i wasnt suprised by this in the least - ive never seen him wrestle or do anything, never even seen a picture of him (and wont be either) but after hearing about his issues a year or so ago and his bipolar its just one of those things that will happen sooner or later.

only 29 its very sad only a year younger than myself - suicide is always a difficult thing for friends and family to get their head around, but sweeney had a lot of issues.

rip to him.

His birthday on his Facebook is 18th Feb 1981, why's it being reported he was 29 and born on 15th Feb 1982, is Wikipedia a source for everything. :confused:

ive never seen him wrestle or do anything, never even seen a picture of him (and wont be either)

Well you just advertised about getting some Chikara dvds and he worked there from 2004 - 2010, so you may see him yet and you'll be richer for it.

terrible news, i knew he had some personal problems and stuff, like has been said, he was a great throwback to classic managers, enjoyed his ROH stuff and could have helped a lot of their recent influx of guys to get over, loved how he was always negotiating on his phone a la yuppie paul heyman of the nwa.

that laugh of his was the stuff wwe would have lapped up as far as hooks for characters to be instantly despised. one of the few guys in roh who could really make me kayfabe hate.

RIP

• Paid Members
i wasnt suprised by this in the least - ive never seen him wrestle or do anything, never even seen a picture of him (and wont be either) but after hearing about his issues a year or so ago and his bipolar its just one of those things that will happen sooner or later.

Not meaning to jump on you for this, but it's not 'just one of those things that will happen sooner or later'. It's certainly one of those things that can happen, but definitely not something that 'will' happen.

Depression, including bi-polarity, means that things feel like they can't improve, rather than the reality that they can't improve.

It may be an overreaction on my part, but I'd hate for someone to be reading this thread with their own issues, and see that kind of confirmation of them.

found out last night and was so sad, havent been this cut up since owen hart died, wrestler deaths dont shock me alot just make me think of them but this one is soooo sad, never met the guy but watched him and listened to him on the mic and like many have said on facebook was bout 20 years to late, he would of been soo big back in the 80's in the territories.

just to hear larry's laughs

larry sweeney mv

Sweeney was one of the most charismatic guys ever to grace ROH and he will be missed. It's sad to think that he had reached the end considering the amount of friends he had in the business. He wasnt Bryan Danielson in the ring (far from it) but he knew how to put on an entertaining show, the match below sums him up for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw_k4oOES4I

He would have been perfect in the WWF in the early 90's because he was such a larger than life character. His Sweet n Sour faction in ROH in 07-08 was fantastic fun and his constant berating of Bobby Dempsey was at times hilarious. Having listened to several of his interviews, most notably the F4W one, Larry Sweeney did so much in his short life, much more than most men his age.

12 LARGE BROTHA!

• Paid Members

I can still remember the first time I saw Sweeney - it was on an IWA Mid South show, he came out to Andrea Tru Connection's "More More More". The first thing he said was "Fuck you pal" to some mark in the front giving him shit. Tremendous :)

Archived