Grand National

Richie Freebird

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The race starts at 4.15, so anytime until then. Although there is in-race betting but best not to get into that :laugh:

Think the off is around 4ish but do your bets by midday latest to get the best odds.

Many Thanks, I've been drafted in to go round for the "every one puts a pound on" thing in the house.

My top tips are:

Niche Market 16-1

Silver By Nature E/W 12-1

Oe Noir De Somoza E/W 50-1

Tidal Bay E/W 33-1

I'm hit and miss on the horses though, did really well on the last day of Cheltenham and have done excellently in this race over the years, but often I get absolutely nothing.

Hello Bud @ 40/1

Words cannot express how much I hate this day. I manage a betting shop and all day I'll be greated with novice punters who haven't got a clue what they're doing coming in and wanting a 5 minute chat about paying the tax on the bet and asking me if they should take the price on their nag for 50p ew. When all you really want to do is put the bet on, fuck off and let the people behind queing get their bet on. Its not too bad for the first 30 minutes but really does grate on you as the day draws on.

Added to that I've drawn the 0830 to 2130 shift as well!

• Paid Members
im looking at doing midnight club, who's price with hills has gone from 9's to 11's or don't push it, which hills have as favourite at 9/1

I'm going Midnight Club too.

Words cannot express how much I hate this day. I manage a betting shop and all day I'll be greated with novice punters who haven't got a clue what they're doing coming in and wanting a 5 minute chat about paying the tax on the bet and asking me if they should take the price on their nag for 50p ew. When all you really want to do is put the bet on, fuck off and let the people behind queing get their bet on. Its not too bad for the first 30 minutes but really does grate on you as the day draws on.

During Cheltenham, we all crowded round a PC screen to watch Long Run win the Gold Cup. As I celebrated, a woman in our office said "I hope you paid the tax". Had to ask when she last placed a bet. I'm waiting for my in-laws to ring with their choices. Let a "pro" like me put them on for them!

Hello Bud @ 40/1

Added to that I've drawn the 0830 to 2130 shift as well!

Used to be the same in my old job, although managed a credit office for a bookie. Was an absolutely mental day, just like Cheltenham weeks, Ascot and Goodwoods festivals. Just 14-15 sometimes 16 hour days and no let up during the day.

I really dont understand why people know so little about betting, its a massive industry and such a large percentage fo the population bet on a regular basis these days.

All this talk of getting your bets on early is technically true, if you are backing a fancied horse. If you are after a long shot then you are best waiting, prices drift as well as shorten later in the day. In short, if youre having a punt for fun and guessing, it doesnt matter when you place the bet.

Archived