Christopher Daniels...

rocky64

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd rather watch a smacked up coked head-Jeff Hardy wrestling for 30 seconds and trying to kick out of a legends finish than watch Christopher Daniels. At least Hardy's music is entertaining and if he's off his tits, it'll be over soon. I wish Daniels matches were over just as fast. Right Said Fred without the needle in his arse is useless. He's had the same act for years, same moves for years and the same look for years, which would be fine if he had a character (which he doesnt: what the fuck is a "Fallen Angel?"), his moves are business exposing shite and he looks like Marc from Big Brother 5. Dog shit. Outback Jack would add more to the product than him.

Thats fair enough, but your talking about the guy like he slept with your <insert female relative here> or something...did he? I think given the chance against a sober Jeff Hardy and they could have an awesome (stunt) match.

Ian once had an upsetting experience with a member of Right Said Fred, that's the only reason I can think of to explain his vituperative attack on Daniels.

He's been in some of the most enjoyable matches I've seen, so I'm not going to turn on him now he's ROHing again. But I do understand when people say that his style is tired. I don't think he's ever learned the main event style that both WWE and TNA use, as someone like AJ or even Joe has since coming to the larger companies.

He's had the same act for years, same moves for years and the same look for years, which would be fine if he had a character (which he doesnt: what the fuck is a "Fallen Angel?")

"A fallen angel is an angel that has been exiled or banished from Heaven." - Addmitedly, he's lost a lot of that character in the past few years, but until he became Curry Man in TNA he had a definite character, more so than a lot of others in TNA.

John Cena has had the same act, moves and look for years too...

• Paid Members
Ian once had an upsetting experience with a member of Right Said Fred, that's the only reason I can think of to explain his vituperative attack on Daniels.

You're not impressing anyone, you know! :angry:

• Paid Members
He's had the same act for years, same moves for years and the same look for years, which would be fine if he had a character (which he doesnt: what the fuck is a "Fallen Angel?")

"A fallen angel is an angel that has been exiled or banished from Heaven." - Addmitedly, he's lost a lot of that character in the past few years, but until he became Curry Man in TNA he had a definite character, more so than a lot of others in TNA.

Actually preferred him as Curry Man - he had a character which he sort of brought to the ring, and the spotty style fitted the flashiness of the character perfectly.

Yeah, but Cena at least has an idea of how to pace a match, how to sell, and how not to burn out an audience in five minutes.

I'm not going to be overly harsh, but I really don't see what Daniels can offer TNA. I think he's pretty decent on the mike, and his physique isn't the worst in the world, but his wrestling really does let him down hideously, as does his lack of character - he's never been over enough, or with a company on TV long enough, to have an evolved gimmick. Unless he suddenly learns to start selling and stop hitting five hundred finishers a minute, this run will end like all the others. He doesn't know how to work, it's that simple.

• Paid Members

Thats such an irrelevant example. John Cena draws money and in some cases still has the same character because of how successful his act is. Over the years there have been aspects of his character they wanted to change but didnt because of how successful the gimmick is. I understand that Carter and Jarrett are loyal to certain people that have been their for years (according to Jerry Jarrett's book) because they roll over a die when it comes to contract negotiations, but they seriously could come up with something better for him to do that this gimmick. Like this for example:

A fallen angel is an angel that has been exiled or banished from Heaven

What does that even mean?! I understand what the term 'Fallen Angel' is, but what does that have to do with Daniels' character, apart from a daft outfit? His gimmick has nothing to do with his nickname.

but until he became Curry Man in TNA he had a definite character, more so than a lot of others in TNA.

That was a comedy gimmick. He had about as much character as Kwang. It was better than his usually stuff he did under his Daniels gimmick, but all he was asked to do was dressed like a inflatable banana and pretend to be Japanese. Its hardly Brian Pillman.

• Paid Members
A fallen angel is an angel that has been exiled or banished from Heaven

What does that even mean?! I understand what the term 'Fallen Angel' is, but what does that have to do with Daniels' character, apart from a daft outfit? His gimmick has nothing to do with his nickname.

Exactly. Even when he was supposedly going at that gimmick full-tilt, he never brought it into the ring. The fact that he decided to change up the one, solitary nod to the gimmick that he had, i.e. re-naming his moonsault from "Ascent To Heaven" to "Best Moonsault Ever/BME", is pretty indicative of how little a clue he seems to have.

Thats such an irrelevant example. John Cena draws money and in some cases still has the same character because of how successful his act is.

I wouldn't call it irrelevant. Yes, Cena does draw loads of money, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion. Purely looking at the TV product, Cena hasn't changed his look or act in years, same as Daniels. Plus, I've seen plenty of people wearing Christopher Daniels t-shirts at numerous shows, so you could argue that Daniels hasn't had a character change because he's drawn money for TNA.

That was a comedy gimmick. He had about as much character as Kwang. It was better than his usually stuff he did under his Daniels gimmick, but all his was asked to do was dressed like a inflatable banana and pretend to be Japanese. Its hardly Brian Pillman.

I was talking about before he became Curry Man here. I actually think the best thing Daniels has ever done is when he had that brief feud with Sting in like 2007 or something. I think he showed more personality and character than he ever has in those few months.

I haven't been his biggest fan for the past few years since he just became "Daniels" (shit name), but I don't think he deserves half the stick he gets really. You're right when you say he can't work a main event style though. I could never picture him in a typically "sports entertainment", drama-filled match.

• Paid Members

If I remember rightly, he used to play up to the 'Fallen Angel' thing a lot more in the early ROH days, so it actually meant something then. Now he's just a bald, non-selling spot monkey ponce. And Curry Man wasn't funny either.

That was a comedy gimmick. He had about as much character as Kwang. It was better than his usually stuff he did under his Daniels gimmick, but all he was asked to do was dressed like a inflatable banana and pretend to be Japanese. Its hardly Brian Pillman.

I wasn

• Paid Members
I wouldn't call it irrelevant. Yes, Cena does draw loads of money, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion.

Cena's the biggest star in wrestling! You cant compare the two in this discussion. Its completely irrelevent to this thread. They are WORLDS apart.

Purely looking at the TV product, Cena hasn't changed his look or act in years, same as Daniels.

Cena changes his t-shirt every now and again and they end up making WWE's profit margine incredibly high. I'd say there's the difference between the two. Kids like his act the way it is. Hogan and Austin never changed anything about their characters for years either. But you dont change what works. Daniels got released from his TNA contract last year. So they obviously didnt feel his act worked.

Plus, I've seen plenty of people wearing Christopher Daniels t-shirts at numerous shows, so you could argue that Daniels hasn't had a character change because he's drawn money for TNA.

TNA runs shows in a building filled with holiday makers and smart arses who get in for free. They arent paying money at the door to see Daniels are they? And those t-shirts probably came from his gimmick table. I can accept that someone may feel Daniels is a good wrestler, I can even accpet people think he's a good promo, but dont say he's drawn money for them. Because its just completely untrue.

I was talking about before he became Curry Man here. I actually think the best thing Daniels has ever done is when he had that brief feud with Sting in like 2007 or something. I think he showed more personality and character than he ever has in those few months.

That was dreadful! TNA NEVER throws the towel in no matter how shit the storyline is, but they did for that one. Daniels was doing some daft Vampiro tribute and it bombed so badly Sting squashed him in about 6 minutes on the undercard of a PPV. It was meant to get Sting ready for Kurt Angle and put Daniels over as a main event wrestler. But neither happened. If the gimmick was so over, they wouldnt have made him lose in a loser leaves town style match and dress him up in a comedy gimmick not long after.

Archived