'Unloved' WrestleMania matches

AshC

Twin Towers vs The Rockers opener from Mania V, loved that match. One of the Rockers took a awesome bump off a clothesline.

That was show on smackdown this week

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't disagree more about Savage/Crush at WMX that a few folk have mentioned, i hated it. I liked both guys, but the match was totally killed by the stipulation. A sub 10 minute match is far too short to be able to get away with the '1 minute' rule. It was just stupid, you had them selling moves for almost minute which would normally get a 2 count and it all resulted in more than half the match consisting of countdowns, and none of them were particularly excting or dramatic. It might've been ok if they actually did have 15 minutes of brutality beforehand, but it was pretty ridiculous when the 56 counts were starting about 3 minutes into the match. And i think i even remember the finish being botched with the rope slipping and Crush having to pretend he was stuck. It was a bit of an anti climax anyway, you knew before 45 seconds that he wasn't making it back. Overall it was just awful imo, and it could have been perfectly fine if they'd just stuck with the more common '10 count' last man standing stip.

In hindsight, i dislike the Blindfold match too, but i can't complain because i did remember liking it watching as a kid at the time. It served it's purpose, but it's still a shame that we never got one single wrestling match between the two out of that feud. i don't think Jake and The Model would have have earned many easier paycheques than that one.

I loved Demolition/Colossal Connection at WM6 but i think i'm the only one. Perfect/Blazer at WM5 was a good sprint too, although i've heard it praised a few times. Also, Hogan/Slaughter at WM7 tends to be dismissed because the outcome was so predictable, but it was actually a really good match in it's own right.

Maybe I'm nostalgic cos it was the first WWF match I ever saw, but every time I rewatch Wrestlemania 7 (probably every 2-3 years) I'm always thoroughly entertained by the opening tag match, Barbarian/Haku vs The Rockers. Classic big team v small team match, has some great high flying stuff from the faces and some hard-hitting power stuff from the heels. Jannetty takes a real pasting, plays the 'face-in-peril' role excellently, and Shawn gets a huge pop when he finally gets tagged in to overcome the big men and get the win.

Never seems to get mentioned whenever I see talk of Mania 7 or underrated Mania matches though.

Valentine vs Steamboat from WM4. Best match on the event IMO.

I could have dropped trou and fucking squatted and shat in the middle of Trump Plaza and it would have been the best thing on the show.

The match you named is respected as the best on WMIV most places, he's on about the matches treated like a redheaded stepchild for this thread.

Most people seem to regard Savage vs DiBiase as the best match on the show. I hardly ever see Valentine/Steamboat mentioned, except for people moaning about Valentine going over and depriving the fans of a Savage/Steamboat rematch.

Bret Hart Vs Roddy Piper (Wrestlemania 8)

Great match with a superb climax. Never gets a mention.

The Undertaker Vs Diesal (Wrestlemania 12)

A good solid big man match for that era whcih built well to a good finish

Lawrence Taylor Vs Bam Bam Bigelow (Wrestlemania 11)

Up until Mayweather stepped into the ring no other celebrity rose to the occasion and put on a solid showing for their first outing. With the massivly underrated Bigelow and Pat Patterson doing an A1 job of guiding Taylor through the match. This was a good a match as you where going to get for that era.

Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie Vs The New Age Outlaws (Dumpster Macth Wrestlemania 14)

This for me was a fantastic brawl between the "Harcor Legends" and the Hungry NAO (before they got massiely over and decided to stop trying). A dramtic and as violent a brawl as you would see in the WWE before the "Attiutde era" exploded a short while later.

• Paid Members

I'm a big fan of the Angle/Orton/Mysterio triple threat at WrestleMania 22. I know it didn't get enough time than it ought to have done but those 9 minutes were action packed and really exciting! Probably Angle's last great match in WWE..

I'm a big fan of the Angle/Orton/Mysterio triple threat at WrestleMania 22. I know it didn't get enough time than it ought to have done but those 9 minutes were action packed and really exciting! Probably Angle's last great match in WWE..

Thought this was a great match. Shame about how long it went, was raging at the time.

Cena vs Big Show at XX. At least live with the (relatively) small man big man dynamic worked, to the extent that Cena's 'punches' trying to subdue Show were dramatic, and then it built to feat of strength spot (FU) and the face cheats for the popular win really well.

Twin Towers vs The Rockers opener from Mania V, loved that match. One of the Rockers took a awesome bump off a clothesline.

Having watched this yesterday I was going to nominate this myself. It wasn't the opener though was it? I thought that was Hercules v King Haku? At least it was on the tape.

But the match is classic big man vs little man stuff done in tag team form. And the Rockers bump like madmen for the Twin Towers.

Akeem's clothesline on Michaels is the sort of move you have to rewind again and again. And the commentary makes it even better. Monsoon knew exactly how to sell a big move. Also, Ventura's "I believe he irritated Akeem" line was the perfect followup.

Apart from that there was a spinning powerbomb by the Bossman and to top it off, the Air Africa looked genuinely devastating. A quality match.

Other than that, as a kid I always enjoyed Mr Perfect vs Brutus Beefcake. I've never found out for sure if this is the match that he lost his Perfect Record in, but the way he lost was pretty realistic as far as I was concerned.

• Paid Members
Other than that, as a kid I always enjoyed Mr Perfect vs Brutus Beefcake. I've never found out for sure if this is the match that he lost his Perfect Record in, but the way he lost was pretty realistic as far as I was concerned.

On TV, it was his first defeat. In the WWF overall, not so much.

I thought it was a very well assembled match, I never really rated Beefpiece much, but they allowed him to accentuate his strengths (brawling) in the early going before Perfect got the advantage with nefarious tactics before laying into him, but got overconfident and got his comeuppance in a way that kept him reasonably strong. Did Beefpiece get lucky? Sure. Would he have beaten Perfect again? Not so sure. Any less satisfying? Not a bit.

Macho Man V Crush at Wrestlemania X. Falls count anywhere.

I liked it but I don't think its "unloved" really. That match comes up at least a couple of times a year on here.

Normally every year there is a thread about whether Michaels is really "Mister WrestleMania" or not and inevitably someone will suggest Savage and then that match pops up. It also comes up every single time "Crush's best match" or his WWF run in general is discussed which is actually more frequent than one might think. If Valentine/Steamboat counts as loved then so should this.

Any match that gets mentioned once every six months or so isn't exactly forgotten when there are so many great matches out there that barely get a mention at all.

Bret Hart Vs Roddy Piper (Wrestlemania 8)

Great match with a superb climax. Never gets a mention.

The Undertaker Vs Diesal (Wrestlemania 12)

A good solid big man match for that era whcih built well to a good finish

Lawrence Taylor Vs Bam Bam Bigelow (Wrestlemania 11)

Up until Mayweather stepped into the ring no other celebrity rose to the occasion and put on a solid showing for their first outing. With the massivly underrated Bigelow and Pat Patterson doing an A1 job of guiding Taylor through the match. This was a good a match as you where going to get for that era.

Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie Vs The New Age Outlaws (Dumpster Macth Wrestlemania 14)

This for me was a fantastic brawl between the "Harcor Legends" and the Hungry NAO (before they got massiely over and decided to stop trying). A dramtic and as violent a brawl as you would see in the WWE before the "Attiutde era" exploded a short while later.

Have to disagree with that. I see quite a lot of praise for all of those. In the case of the first one I'm sure I've seen someone here even call it the "best WrestleMania match".

The first one gets praise every time there is a thread on Piper, WrestleMania matches, favourite finishes, the IC title and probably a few other things I am forgetting. I wouldn't quite call it overrated but I'd say that and the other famous WM matches are probably higher rated than any similar quality bouts someone like Piper had - it's the only one he seems to get universal love for because a lot of people have seen it.

At the very least Taylor/Bigelow and Diesel/Taker have both been given credit on here in the last few months and for as long as 'The Streak' goes on that Diesel match is guaranteed to get debated at least once a year. Also Diesel seems to have a few fans on here nowadays and that is normally one of the five or six matches people point to for him. Then if WWE/TNA ever decide to use a celebrity you can almost guarantee the WM 11 match will come up there as well with people praising Bigelow's performance (deservedly so, don't get me wrong). The last one probably hasn't been mentioned in a while but it still has its fans.

• Paid Members

Ok, certainly not the best 'unloved' match but one that I watched last night. I watched Wrestlemania 19 and thought Undertaker VS A-Train & Big Show was pretty good. It was more fast-paced than you'd expect from these guys and action packed. All three guys put in a decent shift and then Nathan Jones came out and kicked people. Then Taker delivers a harsh looking tombstone to Albert for the win.

Like I say, far from the best of the Mania matches that aren't discussed much, but pretty decent all the same.

Archived