Worst Endings of All Time.

The King Of Swing

Yes, the story from Event Horizon ;)

It's the difference between homage and pastiche, for me. Moon is, I guess, an homage to 2001, where Sunshine just felt like a pastiche of many, many other scifi flicks. Alien, Event Horizon, Solaris, etc.

I'll watch it again when it's next on, out of deference to your good self Nev, but I remain distinctly underwhelmed.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Remember Me (actually that's one of the funniest things I've ever seen)

I saw this in a cinema packed full of Twilight fans who didn't see the ending coming. It was a wonderful moment. Cries of "Oh no" followed by lots of tears.

More movies featuring Teen Idols should end with a plane in the face! :D

Death Proof (then again everything outside the first 40 minutes is pretty embarrassing)

I wouldn't have minded the ending to this as much if it had've been someone other than Kurt Russell. I mean come on it's Kurt FUCKING Russell, he doesn't job to girls. He flamethowers aliens and rescues presidents, he should've ran those fuckers off the road and beat the shit out of 'em.

It's a terrible film though. I once argued with a female friend that it was insulting to women, given that the second group of girls (the supposed heroines) are shallow, dumb and incredibly boring. Witness the Reservoir Dogs-esque coffee shop scene and Zoe Bell's interminable anecdote that goes nowhere - this is Tarantino writing dialogue for attractive actresses that he wants to hang out with and nothing more.

My friend was incensed, accusing me of misogyny and the like. Just because the girls overcome the odds at the end (in embarrassing circumstances) does not mean that this is a strong depiction of women. I know the film is supposed to be little more than a grindhouse tribute but good christ it's an absolutely insulting piece of dreck.

It's a terrible film though. I once argued with a female friend that it was insulting to women, given that the second group of girls (the supposed heroines) are shallow, dumb and incredibly boring. Witness the Reservoir Dogs-esque coffee shop scene and Zoe Bell's interminable anecdote that goes nowhere - this is Tarantino writing dialogue for attractive actresses that he wants to hang out with and nothing more.

My friend was incensed, accusing me of misogyny and the like. Just because the girls overcome the odds at the end (in embarrassing circumstances) does not mean that this is a strong depiction of women. I know the film is supposed to be little more than a grindhouse tribute but good christ it's an absolutely insulting piece of dreck.

wit-woo ;) and you like wrestling too!?

(just kidding, I had 1 console me on Brentford's loss today - Brentford & men wrestling in pants now there's an attractive combination)

• Paid Members
I thought the ending to Shutter Island was pretty poor.

You can see it a mile off.

The ending to Shutter Island was so obvious that I was sitting there waiting for the double swerve that unfortunately never came.

My vote for "Worst Ending Of All Time" goes to "the career of M. Night Shyamalan". In a shocking twist that defies explanation M. Night Shyamalan continues to get writing and directing gigs despite being a talentless hack who has milked his one passable film for his entire career. Shitty director and shittier writer makes millions, if that isn't a "worst ending" contender then I don't know what is.

I liked Cracked articles too.

Have Cracked done an article about M. Night Shyamalan?

Not specifically, but they've used this phrasing in loads of articles. Should have a look on the site, it's where you copied them from so the links should be easy for you to find.

To be honest, replace "M. Night Shyamalan" with "Michael Bay", and it's just as accurate. Except replace "film" with "pointless farrago of mindless explosions and special effects".

As to Sunshine, I really like it - I thought Sanada Hiroyuki turned in a solid and underpraised performance, Cillian Murphy was pretty sublime, Michelle Yeoh had surprisingly little to do, Mark Strong has never been bad in anything I've seen him in, and the movie ended as I expected it to, but it made perfect sense and didn't feel disappointing at all.

• Paid Members
Hiroyuki Sanada is great. I re-watched Ring the other night for the first time in years and was pleasantly surprised to see him there, having not known him first time around.

He also makes a cursory appearance in Last Samurai. He's also one of Japan's few martial arts movie stars - I recommend "Ninja In The Dragon's Den". I wish he'd get a bit more work than he's had in the West so far, he's a very good actor.

I'm gonna go with A History of Violence here.

I'm curious, what ending do you think would have been more appropriate? It seems to me that, for his character, that was the ONLY way out. Even though it meant betraying everything he'd tried to do with his new life.

Honestly, I don't know what I would have done with it. Thinking about it, it may have been the only way to go, but to me it just felt a bit flat. I can't say I didn't like the film, but the ending just didn't live up to the excitement of the first 3/4 for me.

You and I are definitely on the outs Sev, Deathproof is a great little film. The ending had people whooping in the cinema when I saw it, a great final reel. It's not meant to be anything more than a fun chase movie. I'll take a film that knows what it is, over a film that thinks it's some super clever shit like Sunshine any day :p

In all seriousness, I've found that people divide into 2 camps on Tarantino. There are those who think that Jackie Brown and Deathproof are his best films, and those who think they are his worst. These two camps both see a different Tarantino in his films, I reckon.

• Paid Members

I think Jackie Brown is excellent, but am very ambivalent about Deathproof. 'proof is unashamedly Tarantino at his most self-indulgent, but he's been doing that with most of his more recent movies, so the effect's diluted. He's rapidly becoming Burton-esque; where Burton is Gothic/Victorian Nursery-Fairytale, Tarantino is deliberately crappy, 70s ex/blaxploitation. Deathproof is really just more of the same, so I find it very "meh". Kurt Russell does his best to rescue it, though.

For me, his best is still Reservoir Dogs.

Goddamn, I don't know WHAT to think now. I would say both Kill Bills AND Inglourous Basterds are much more self-indulgent than Deathproof, which just sets up characters and then throws shit at them. The visual effects at the beginning annoyed me, but once he finished dicking around with that, it was automotive excellence all the way.

Watched both Kill Bills back to back last week. Found the first one to be a little too much but still enjoyed it. Love the second one though from start to finish. I can see the arguments against them but I'm a fan. I've seen Basterds a handful of times now and I find myself liking it a little less each time. Still probably put it at four stars though.

Archived