Worst Endings of All Time.

The King Of Swing

I figured out the ending to Shutter Island from the trailer but it didn't stop me enjoying the film.

I'd agree with Lost. The entire last season pretty much destroys the preceding five. Thanks a bunch writers.

What do people think of the ending of Sunshine? I watched it again last night and I think it's a great film but a lot of people hated the sudden shift in tone in the last 20 minutes.

Bad endings:

The Brave One (just utterly unbelievable)

Remember Me (actually that's one of the funniest things I've ever seen)

AI: Artificial Intelligence

The Dark Knight (specifically the interminable neverending boats sequence)

Death Proof (then again everything outside the first 40 minutes is pretty embarrassing)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was loving the final season of lost up till the last 20 minutes with the big reveal which made most of the season completly pointless

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

u could take out the "other universe" plot and it would make no difference to the main story at all

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

and id got invested in that plot especially all the reunions in the final episode

I thought the ending to Shutter Island was pretty poor.

You can see it a mile off.

The ending to Shutter Island was so obvious that I was sitting there waiting for the double swerve that unfortunately never came.

My vote for "Worst Ending Of All Time" goes to "the career of M. Night Shyamalan". In a shocking twist that defies explanation M. Night Shyamalan continues to get writing and directing gigs despite being a talentless hack who has milked his one passable film for his entire career. Shitty director and shittier writer makes millions, if that isn't a "worst ending" contender then I don't know what is.

I liked Cracked articles too.

Have Cracked done an article about M. Night Shyamalan?

I thought the ending to Shutter Island was pretty poor.

You can see it a mile off.

The ending to Shutter Island was so obvious that I was sitting there waiting for the double swerve that unfortunately never came.

My vote for "Worst Ending Of All Time" goes to "the career of M. Night Shyamalan". In a shocking twist that defies explanation M. Night Shyamalan continues to get writing and directing gigs despite being a talentless hack who has milked his one passable film for his entire career. Shitty director and shittier writer makes millions, if that isn't a "worst ending" contender then I don't know what is.

I liked Cracked articles too.

Have Cracked done an article about M. Night Shyamalan?

Not specifically, but they've used this phrasing in loads of articles. Should have a look on the site, it's where you copied them from so the links should be easy for you to find.

I didn't copy anything from anywhere, everything I wrote about Shyalaman was factually accurate and if other people have noticed it, especially a website with as many "Likes" on Facebook as Cracked have, then all the better.

I'm gonna go with A History of Violence here.

I'm curious, what ending do you think would have been more appropriate? It seems to me that, for his character, that was the ONLY way out. Even though it meant betraying everything he'd tried to do with his new life.

I'm gonna go with A History of Violence here.

I'm curious, what ending do you think would have been more appropriate? It seems to me that, for his character, that was the ONLY way out. Even though it meant betraying everything he'd tried to do with his new life.

Yeah I gotta agree with that, A History of Violence is amazing, the ending was brutal (ie - good.) for me, anyway.

Also someone who mentioned Sunshine, its a cracking film, the manic ending I don't know, it jars a little bit with what came before it,but its not too extreme and I never really could see another way to finish it.

Never been so terrified in a movie theatre than when I watched Sunshine - the first time they go aboard the Icarus I.

Its been awhile since I watched Sunshine so I can't 100% recall the ending, I must download it later since I do remember enjoying the film.

A similar movie I like is Event Horizon, I know many do not like the end of that. Great film but the end could have been better, I know it was heavily cut before release but I don't think it affected the ending, once the sense of foreboding that builds up ends, it is a bit flat.

The only good thing about Sunshine was...

No, nothing, sorry.

Oh, no, wait I quite liked Mark Strong as the insane captain.

Look, I liked Solaris as much as the next guy. I even appreciated the Clooney remake for taking a slightly different tack to the original but retaining the air of psychological breakdown. I also really liked Event Horizon. I just didn't see the need to shove the two films together in an uncomfortablly small suitcase and then get professional cheekbone model Cillian Murphy to shit into it before locking it and posting it to the US on a long-haul flight.

The whole thing just seemed like a massive waste of time. Hopefully though it might lead the odd curious film buff to see what else the Japanese guy was in, which would lead you to watching THe Twilight Samurai and then curiosity about the director of THAT might lead you to The Hidden Blade, both stunning films.

Harsh. Sunshine has an incredible atmosphere, some interesting non-archetypal characters, a shockingly good turn from Chris Evans, an excellent soundtrack, some truly amazing visuals (I'm really glad I saw it in the cinema) and some great tension. I can see why people don't like the final act but I still think it's a great film.

• Paid Members

Me too. Loki's obviously been hit on the head today and become a mental. Sunshine was great. Not sure what more they could have done with the ending.

He is right about Event Horizon though, great film.

It was just like watching a play that's quite good, but you've seen a better version by the RSC, you know? It added nothing to the genre, where Moon, on a fraction of the budget, did so much more.

I guess I'm just not a huge Danny Boyle fan.

• Paid Members

I keep thinking that I'm not a huge Danny Boyle fan for some reason, and then when I think back I realise I've thoroughly enjoyed all the films I've seen by him. Odd. I haven't seen A Life Less Ordinary yet though.

Oh come on. Moon is great but the only thing the two have in common is that they're in space. Moon is about the breakdown of a singular character and the nature of the human condition. It's pure arthouse and borrows from 2001 much more than Sunshine does. That's not to say that Sunshine is dumb or unconcerned with its characters, but it's much more of an overall story-driven piece than Moon is.

Archived