Equity says pro wrestlers can be members

Victor Is God

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As has been mentioned before FWA dont pay talent (which is illegal under the minimum wage laws by the way)

If they volunteer to perform for free then what’s the problem? Even if they are contracted to work on one night for free I doubt there would be any legal come backs. Some of the higher paid staff in my work have to work 3 hours of overtime a week for free and I work for a fucking massive global company.

Overtime is a different issue but with volunteering you cant enter into a contract, even a verbal one. The main issue is that of 'consideration', so while its ok to volunteer to wrestle the promotion cant say work this one for free and we will hire you in the future, give you dvd's etc.

If you take the TNT thread they are entering into a contract with people by offering them free tickets to the show. They then stop being volunteers and become workers and as such could claim National Minimum Wage, pro ratad holiday pay and to be covered under legislation and health and safety.

The BWC have entered into agreement with the workers where they benefit x y z in exchage for working without pay.

I did a lot of work around this when the NMW came in for a charity i was working for.

Overtime is a different issue but with volunteering you cant enter into a contract, even a verbal one. The main issue is that of 'consideration', so while its ok to volunteer to wrestle the promotion cant say work this one for free and we will hire you in the future, give you dvd's etc.

If you take the TNT thread they are entering into a contract with people by offering them free tickets to the show. They then stop being volunteers and become workers and as such could claim National Minimum Wage, pro ratad holiday pay and to be covered under legislation and health and safety.

The BWC have entered into agreement with the workers where they benefit x y z in exchage for working without pay.

I did a lot of work around this when the NMW came in for a charity i was working for.

Thanks very much for an excellent explanation there! I hereby formally retract my doubting of your original post.

Can I point out that almost every promotion employs any talent on their shows (And paid staff) as self employed. In this circumstance they are not entitled to National Minimum Wage or Holiday/sick pay or any other such.

Equally the promotions do not pay taxes or national insurance for them, because, as self employed workers that is for themselves to take care of with the tax office.

A ltd company simply needs to take workers details and signature to prove where the money has gone to for accounting purposes

Can I point out that almost every promotion employs any talent on their shows (And paid staff) as self employed. In this circumstance they are not entitled to National Minimum Wage or Holiday/sick pay or any other such.

Equally the promotions do not pay taxes or national insurance for them, because, as self employed workers that is for themselves to take care of with the tax office.

A ltd company simply needs to take workers details and signature to prove where the money has gone to for accounting purposes

Most promotions say that the people are self employed because they've heard that Vince's boys are self employed sub contractors but have little knowledge of taxation or employment law in the UK.

Did you know that if HMRC comes knocking at your door and you dont have a contract for service for the self employed person then that 'person of interest' is deemed an employee and you are then responsible for TAX and NI PAYE etc for that worker for the times they have been under your employment.

Even with a contract you can expect tought questions from the HMRC such as:

Can they hire someone else to do the work you've given them?

Most promotions say that the people are self employed because they've heard that Vince's boys are self employed sub contractors but have little knowledge of taxation or employment law in the UK.

Did you know that if HMRC comes knocking at your door and you dont have a contract for service for the self employed person then that 'person of interest' is deemed an employee and you are then responsible for TAX and NI PAYE etc for that worker for the times they have been under your employment.

Even with a contract you can expect tought questions from the HMRC such as:

Can they hire someone else to do the work you've given them?

Luckily.. Payroll and HR is my current role of employment!

Just another point really.. the more and more i think into this, i dont really see this affecting many, if any. most people have saw Storm & Burridge on EastEnders? i would assume they are members of Equity for there acting work? when booking them we have not come to any issues? any who's i now feel that this was indeed well blown out of proportion (myself included)

TV extras dont need to be members nor does any one on tv or theatre need to be members of equity. Problem with this will be when they start saying all the other crew show be members looking after their members interests. Wages will have to go up. Equity look after their own, nearly 90% of actors are out of work at any one time acting is not continuous work so all of a sudden equity say that they know people who can wrestle and want them on shows. Backfires big time.

TV extras dont need to be members nor does any one on tv or theatre need to be members of equity. Problem with this will be when they start saying all the other crew show be members looking after their members interests. Wages will have to go up. Equity look after their own, nearly 90% of actors are out of work at any one time acting is not continuous work so all of a sudden equity say that they know people who can wrestle and want them on shows. Backfires big time.

Ah ok, i just thought with Burridge been a in a film and storm has done more TV work than just EE. never mind eh,i will pretty much stay out of this thread now as i've said all i can, and all i know about and don't know about

Ah ok, i just thought with Burridge been a in a film and storm has done more TV work than just EE. never mind eh,i will pretty much stay out of this thread now as i've said all i can, and all i know about and don't know about

The thing is no one needs to be a member of a union. But, if they get a stronghold in a company, theatre or show the can dictate who works there from the guy at the bottom upwards. Equity are still powerful in the showbiz business for the supporting actors. To be careful of and watch. This will also help the wrestlers may be getting breaks in the mainstream entertainments business but can also backfire on a promoter.

In my opinion, it's shit like THIS that is the biggest detriment to wrestling getting taken more seriously. Say I was a tv executive thinking of bringing British wrestling onto my channel. I'd look at their business, the structure of their contracts with their performers, their insurance and healthcare provisions, their marketing and promotional capabilities, and judging by what I read about the state of most BritWres promotions, I wouldn't go near them with a bargepole.

This, one hundred percent.

I just read this out loud to Big Rob and he asked me to tell you that it really pissed him off but he's too tired to reply himself. Obviously the contract would state the buy-out clause, otherwise RVD would either not sign, or he doesn't care. His fee for working would cover the money he expects.

ok just woke up to this wow right first of dont bother giving me shit about my spelling or gramma

as i dont give a shyt

right here we go the fwa is doing everything it can to make

wrestling in the uk big and to do this thay have to take change how we look at it

ie we all know theres tons of shyt little companys out there run buy kin fools who do not know what the hell a good show should look like and feel like to the punter paying to see it

and to change this we need CHANGE get it into your heads for gods sake do we brit's have to be second best at everything footy cricket every bloody thing '''

now the fwaare doing what any bizz thats looking to create a better brand is doing first get the public to see you as

better than the other produce ie a marsbar is better than a milkyway to do this thay have to create stars

come on use ur brains how the fk can thay do this with every pisspot comp haveing shows that are crap and champions thay cannot wrestle for shyt out there joe publice see this every week week in week out then along coms not just fwa 1pw or any of the other top comps with the best talent going in the uk today can thay draw big no why ask yourselfs that question simple becouse joe publicover the past 20 years seen that many little comps in there towns halls put on rubish shows and thay many differant champions how the fk can thay see anyone as a real star come on its not that

hard to grasp fwa aim to create a roster of the very best talent and turn them into stars

and for gods sake dont say dont talk bollocks becouse trust me its the only way forword otherwise brit wrestling truely is kin dead

and you all say ALEX is at it again do you think ALEX IS DOING THIS ALONE '''

and yes it will tk time and yes this latest move is the best thing for all wrestlers that want to go that extra mile

becouse by doing this yea maybe thay lose out on some work but that will only be for the pisspot companys

the upside is thay will be used more on the top companys so it evens out and thay will gain becouse there pay

will be better in the long run how do you thin tv works for gods sake

do you think that every new show is a hit instantly NO it makes stars and push's these people as the stars

hence we get into them and thay become stars

this could very well be the best thing ever to happen in brit wrestling why simple hopefully

in time it will shut down all the shyt pisspot comps out there how

becouse joe public will know who the real stars are not the one one the pisspot companys

that pick any trainie and make him a champion run shows and fk it up for the top guys

wtg tony and alex and all the guys who are working there ars's off to bring brit wrestlin into the 21st cent

now guys have ur little rant o and befor anyone says it yea this will give you a bad head to read

my thoughts on that tough have a good day

Archived