What do you miss most about being a kid?

RepoMan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What I miss most about being a pre-pubescent child is not caring that I wasn't getting a shag.

In fact knowing then what I know now about the world, I'd have probably been quite grateful.

going the local youth club on a wednesday night with my mates, playing pool and 5-a-side and drooling over the girls during the disco (this was in year five and six)

spending summer nights at the park playing knockouts on the full size pitches

watching cartoons

playing on 8bit and 16bit consoles and thinking they were the shit

renting videos to watch at weekends

• Paid Members

Loads of stuff coming up in this thread that I miss.

Arcades. I started going to arcades just before the SF2 era, so I had serious fucking classics like Double Dragon, Vigilante, Operation Wolf, Gryzor and the WWF game where you have to face Andre and DiBiase at the end. All the arcades in town now are just full of fruit machines with the occassional shooty game.

Purely by coincidence, I've been scanning loads of old photo's today. At the moment, they're mostly from late teens, but there is some earlier stuff, and it just cements what's been said.

17477_1264598905659_1550348259_30680633_2985398_n.jpg

Aged 16, and nothing is cooler than hanging around the back of the portacabins and pouring treacle on each other (and the ensuing wasp based hilarity).

198909_1862209885560_1550348259_31954211_7229558_n.jpg

Aged 19, and I spent the summer chilling on this park and eating shit loads of lychees. Short of when I was next going to empty my nuts, I didn't have a care in the world.

• Paid Members
Arcades. I started going to arcades just before the SF2 era, so I had serious fucking classics like Double Dragon, Vigilante, Operation Wolf, Gryzor and the WWF game where you have to face Andre and DiBiase at the end. All the arcades in town now are just full of fruit machines with the occassional shooty game.

This, several times over. But include SFII. These were all games in an era when arcade machines were the highest spec of any games machine out there. I haven't played an arcade machine in ages, mainly because I'll know someone who has an equal or superior version on a home console.

Remember when you just couldn't get Double Dragon as good as you had it in the arcades? The MS and MD tried, but they were just no match.

• Paid Members
Remember when you just couldn't get Double Dragon as good as you had it in the arcades? The MS and MD tried, but they were just no match.

Master System was nowhere near, and haven't played the Megadrive version. I've seen screenshots from the 32X version though which looked close.

As most have said....playing footie pretty much non-stop. Riding my bike all over the place, being slimmer too :) Being able to enjoy things without the mechanics of it getting in the way, like knowing what we do about wrestling taking a slight edge off the excitement factor for me. The thrill of looking at toy catalogues and dreaming of what toy i would like for birthday/xmas. Spending time with my Gran and Grandpa, especially when i went bowling with him to watch him win many trophies.

And on a sour note.....not having to know/give a shit about all the bullshit in the world. Taxes, death everywhere, recession,drugs......

Life was so simple back in the day. Miss them :(

I have very few memories of being a kid for one reason and another, not in a "Waah waah, my parents knocked me around and locked me in the coal bunker" way, but one of the things I *do* remember is playing football for hours in the local park with my brother and a few of our friends then getting home just in time for Burkes Law.

• Paid Members

Building Dens. You can't get away with it in adult life (its just sinister as a grown up)

The fact that we had an abandoned castle behind my house which had caves behind it made it double awesome (a phrase i stopped using when i stopped building dens :( )

59228577WoCfqB_fs.jpg

22154989.jpg

65735479jTYWbx_ph.jpg

Ignore the weird rat/dog thing in the photo that was never there when we were kids

• Paid Members
I want to live in the castle.

Its for sale. It was an awesome castle back when i was about 5, in fully working order, it got sold to an American fella just left it empty, Travellers squatted on the site, nicked the slates off the roof, ripped out the oak panels and took out the marble staircase and left it to rot. Place is a shell now. A guy from Lancashire tried to buy it last year to turn into a school for psychics, basically meaning that the Xmen would be from North Wales.

Just google Gwrych Castle for pictures its ace

Archived