What do you miss most about being a kid?

RepoMan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Having an imagination. It's just not really there any more in any way, shape or form.

Rolling around the garden playing war or army or something similar. I still could do it I guess but I'd A) feel a prick and not and enjoy it and B) squash the rows of potatoes I've put in.

Enjoying The Beano

When we were getting to the end of secondary school we had a summer playing cricket down the town every Saturday, that was class. Some one would take away the kit and as far as I recall bring it back every week. I don't think we ever had to buy more stumps, just balls as one broke and a few ended up in the river.

pretty much simular ones

-playing football every spare moment

-playing british bulldogs

-having no pressures what so ever

-playing mob

-going camping as an excuse to stay up all night lighting fires

really missing that all my life used to be back then was all fun and games

my form tutor was a fit gym teacher. I was a fat fuck so never had a chance

This bit made me chuckle a little bit. Do you mean that if you hadn't been a fat fuck then your fit form tutor would regularly "polish up your sausage" in the gym equipment cupboard ? I'm guessing that the reason you didn't stand a chance isn't because you were a fat fuck it is more to do with the fact you were a child. As much as we all like to imagine the fantasy of being seduced by a female teacher the truth is sadly a lot different. Unless of course your name is Robin Asquith. She would have seen you as a child, a student and nothing more.

;)

Being a complete mark, having a few cans and smoking Benson as the sun went down being the filthiest act of defiance around, playing the perennial favourite 'IRA Vs. The Brits' in the schoolyard where the undesirable kids would be coerced and cajoled into being the Queen's finest, video games trying to be nothing but video games, James Bond movies, coming home drunk as a teenager and watching Big Brother live, sitting on election placards and flying down steep hills.

• Paid Members

Being surrounded by your mates 24/7

Spending entire days in the park either playing football, kicking fuck out each other (full force, no hitting in the face or the balls though), or sitting in the bowly playing dares with the girls

Climbing over a huge fence to get into Pilrig mongo school because they had a quality astroturf, only to play for 5 minutes before we'd get chased away by the janitor, every night for an entire summer

Free houses

Being able to just ask for money and get it

Holidays.

Just a couple of things that I miss.

Actually running home from a shop to play a computer game speccy 48k/c64.

Riding my bike to my nans house about 4 miles, busy roads no helmet. Now I can't let my kids out in the garden cycling without safety helmets.

Bunking off school all day and hiding in local forest having no idea what the time is, paranoid of every movement.

Playing headers and volleys.

Miss my gran and grandad a lot

Miss having no responsibility........getting in by the time you're mum set and keeping on top of homework was about as hard as it got as a junior.

Miss eating shite but being thin as a stick by being out larking about or playing football every spare minute of the day

Miss my group of friends

Miss boys brigade

• Paid Members
Enjoying The Beano

This, as well as Lego, real Transformers and better kids' TV. But it wasn't just the Beano - I used to get the Dandy, the Topper, the Beezer sometimes, Whizzer & Chips and Oink!

Tell you what, though, it's not all bad being an adult - there are some things you can get back for a few minutes. Couple of weeks ago, I dug out ALL my copies of Asterix and Lucky Luke, and read the whole damn lot.

• Paid Members

Computer games were a lot more exciting to me as a kid. I remember dreaming about Championship Manager 2

3 and in.

Playing manhunt with all the kids in the neighbourhood.

Getting pissed on a quids worth of cider.

Buying single fags from the shopkeeper at an inflated price (don't really miss that, just a nostalgic memory).

Hearing of a fight in the playground and legging it to see it.

The novelty of using a deodorant can as a flame thrower not yet having worn off. Ditto fucking about with the gas setting on a disposable lighter.

Being able to jump on a bouncy castle.

The excitement of your parents taking you to a pub with a a climbing frame in the back garden.

Mutilating Action Men

Being a kid was great.

Summer nights

Pokemon

Never worrying about a thing

Summer holidays

Playing down the beck side near where we lived

Christmas being the granddaddy of them all

WWF

The Playstation One

A pre-Freeserve dial-up connection way of life. Internet free

Whitey (My best mate growing up, it's his 21st birthday today and I don't see him anymore)

Dreams of growing up and being WWF Champion on days I wasn't playing Premiership-level football

Being naive enough to believe that the grass was always greener on the other side

My uncle

Archived