Chris Benoit - Will He Ever Be Remembered For His Talent Again?

David

I can watch any of Benoit's matches and temporarily forget about what he did to Nancy & Daniel. I also still have several of his matches on DVDs that I bought long before that. I'm not saying that when he did was right, I'm just saying that it doesn't affect my enjoyment of his matches in the least.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jimmy Snuka killed his girlfriend and Stone Cole routinely beat his wife but nobody ever brings that up. Anyone who says "Oh, I can't watch Benoit's matches because of what he did" needs to grow up. Athletes, like any other celebrity, are people too and are capable of making mistakes, what Chris Benoit did will never change the fact that he had fantastic wrestling matches, no matter how much people want it to.

The "fact" that he had fantastic wrestling matches will never change what Chris Benoit did, no matter how much people want it to.

You deliberately omitted the most important line in my post, so here it is again with the key point emboldened:

the man dedicated his life to his craft and had countless matches that entertained millions and to let all of that slip away because certain individuals can't separate somebodies professional accomplishments from his personal life is very sad.

Chris Benoit was a great wrestler who had great matches. I don't care what he did in his private time and neither should anybody else, if you can't look past what he did any enjoy his matches then you need to buck up and stop being such a bleeding vagina.

• Paid Members
I can still quite happily sing along to Chris Benoit's kazoo theme. That's not been ruined at all.

The lyrics really have a sense of meaning post-death as well. Beautifully written words. Like Jackson and Lennon, when he died you get a sense of the person re-reading those lyrics, because in fact during his final minutes on earth "Chris Benoit was here" and he was "really mad". And you can even say that "Chris Benoit is here" and "he's really angry" before his tragic end.

• Paid Members
No, he'll always be tainted. It's like Phil Spector, as great as some of his production is, whenever you ponder about Phil Spector you think of the nutter that killed a women, then the mad producer. I imagine record companies will decide to sweep his involvement under the carpet as much as they can, with re-issues etc.

I think this is a perfect example to use in the argument whether fans in 10-15 years time might think of Benoit as a great wrestler rather than remember what happened that weekend.

I say this because I honestly did not know Phil Spector was a murderer (time for a history lesson on Wiki I think), but I do think of him as one of the all-time great music producers.

The lyrics really have a sense of meaning post-death as well. Beautifully written words. Like Jackson and Lennon, when he died you get a sense of the person re-reading those lyrics, because in fact during his final minutes on earth "Chris Benoit was here" and he was "really mad". And you can even say that "Chris Benoit is here" and "he's really angry" before his tragic end.

That is a pretty tragic way of thinking about it.

It's like when Wheel Of Fortune was playing for Sapphire. Unfortunately, she ultimately didn't win.

Chris Benoit was a great wrestler who had great matches. I don't care what he did in his private time and neither should anybody else

Yeah, that's true. Having some high-snowflake wrestling matches is much more important than murdering a child. You fucking maniac.

This might be a strange/slightly off analogy, but in Ethics Class once we discussed if evil can ever be justified and someone made an excellent point: When Hitler rose to power, he rebuilt Germanys infrastructure, he rebuilt the currency, he reduced unemployment to zero, however he did this by massacring Jews, Christians, homosexuals, the disabled etc. Yeah, he did some good things, (although this is in no way condoning The Holocaust or Nazi-ism) but he did it by acts of near-unspeakable evil. Chris Benoit may well have been a great wrestler, but he murdered a 7 year old child and a woman.

• Paid Members

Even if you're one of those people who proclaims his innocence, blaming a mental illness due to concussions, I still can't imagine what type of enjoyment you'd get watching his matches since, you know, it was those matches that caused all of those concussions. I can't imagine it's quite as much fun watching him do flying headbutts and take full-force chair shots to the back of the head when you know what they eventually lead to.

But yeah, as others have said, he sounded like a right prick when everything eventually came out, so killing his wife and kid doesn't seem that out of character once you find out what he was really like. I mean, remember those, "funny stories," people were telling about him on the tribute show? They were creepy as fuck.

It's almost four years since Benoit killed his family & himself, and he's still persona non grata with WWE.

As far as I know his matches still get pulled from DVD releases and WWE television shows, and his name isn't ever mentioned in connection with the company or pro wrestling.

My question is, will there ever come a time when he'll be recognised for his stellar in-ring career again? Or is his reputation always going to be so badly tarnished that he'll never regain the credit for it?

There is an argument to be had that Benoit was suffering some sort of mental illness when he killed his family, which could have been brought on by years of wrestling, so should we really hold him 100% responsible? Was he really a nasty fucker who managed to hide that side of his personality from everyone who knew him?

Not reading any replies as I'm sure theres people arguing for and against, at the end of the day he killed two people, if a taxi driver did the same you wouldn't go on about how he got you into town fast, fuck Benoit's career what he did does and always will overshadow him having a good match with someone

Put it this way ***** match - 2 innocent people dead = Career means fuck all

Not reading any replies as I'm sure theres people arguing for and against, at the end of the day he killed two people, if a taxi driver did the same you wouldn't go on about how he got you into town fast, fuck Benoit's career what he did does and always will overshadow him having a good match with someone

Put it this way ***** match - 2 innocent people dead = Career means fuck all

Well put, fella.

• Paid Members
Chris Benoit was a great wrestler who had great matches. I don't care what he did in his private time and neither should anybody else, if you can't look past what he did any enjoy his matches then you need to buck up and stop being such a bleeding vagina.

Thats a pretty stupid way to look at this. Ian Huntley was probably a great janitor. It shouldnt matter what he did to Holly and Jessica cause that was something he did in his private time, and nobody should care about that.

You need to buck up Vito. Of course people should care about what he did in his private time. Seen as it was such a hideous thing to do. I hope WWE erase the guy from their history completely, and the next generation of fans have no idea who the guy is, cause that sick fuck should never be celebrated.

• Paid Members

Driving a taxi doesn't give you the very concussions doctors claim may have resulted in the death of two people. Wrestling that style did. If anything, I'd feel creepy and strangely guilty if I watched the matches back and still marked out for stuff like that diving heabutt off the top of the cage.

Archived