Michael Cole's Homophobic Slur...

Kata Ha Jime

• Paid Members
Lets hope his punishment is that he can't announce Wrestlemania.

Lets not he is the best announcer in WWE at the moment by along way. His new heel persona he has become is just what WWE has needed for ages.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about time they had a homophobic character. Wrestling has shitloads of characters, so why not this?

If Eastenders can do stuff in association with various societies, I'm sure WWE can too.

Homophobes, rapists, and paedophiles. I'm sure Big Show can be accused of fiddling with Hornswaggle or something.

• Paid Members
You really think there's a chance Cole will play the "paedogeddon" card against Lawler? There's not a chance WWE would allow a man thats worked for them for the best part of 2 decades as an alleged paedophile.

EDIT: Which isn't to say that Cole might not "shoot " on Lawler's preference for women several decades younger than himself.

Off topic but just

Just to share

It's about time they had a homophobic character. Wrestling has shitloads of characters, so why not this?

If Eastenders can do stuff in association with various societies, I'm sure WWE can too.

Homophobes, rapists, and paedophiles. I'm sure Big Show can be accused of fiddling with Hornswaggle or something.

If it was in WWE and he/she was a heel the Christian Right would be raging about encouraging homosexuality when the positive gay role model face beats their arse.

TNA could probably do it though. Thinking about it the gay crowd should be marketed to by someone. Wrestling is, when all is said and done, muscular oiled up men rolling around while wearing little pants. A pitch I have used on at least one gf to get her to a show with me.

Despite this being a fairly low key story I am glaad that WWE are addressing the homophobic views which appear to permiate from the organisational structure of wrestling. People might think Cole's views are low level stuff but as a public figure he should consider his choice of words carefully.

I often believe some people do not understand, through ignorance, the impact use of language has on a group of people especially one as small as LGBT communities.

John cena made a mishap by using what some deem as homophobic language in his edgey promo against The Rock. Now, being the lead face of a company means you influence the audience - who currently are in their teens for a large part. If the biggest GOOD GUY in the company uses such language then impressionable children will see that as a role model and will possibly use that language themselves.

It baffles me how someone in such a position can make such a na

If it was in WWE and he/she was a heel the Christian Right would be raging about encouraging homosexuality when the positive gay role model face beats their arse.

TNA could probably do it though. Thinking about it the gay crowd should be marketed to by someone. Wrestling is, when all is said and done, muscular oiled up men rolling around while wearing little pants. A pitch I have used on at least one gf to get her to a show with me.

I used to work with a gay lecturer who was quite interested in bodybuilding and wrestling culture (he used to be a competitive bodybuilder himself). He was interested in academic approaches to wrestling (Barthes, Henry Jenkins and the like), and on top of that he just fancied John Cena. I once lent him my 'Word Life' DVD, the majority of which covers his heel rapper phase and is packed tighter than Right Said Fred's codpieces with homophobic innuendoes. He told me he liked the DVD.

Wrestling is a lowbrow, trashy form of entertainment that will always be politically incorrect to some extent in its attitude towards gays, women, foreigners and just about anyone who isn't a big, muscular American who loves the troops. At the same time, I think intelligent people who watch it will generally expect a certain degree of non-PC content and pretty much adjust their outrage filter accordingly. Same as they do when they watch action films. Same as they do when they watch The Sopranos (of course the latter is a far more complex example, but anyone suggesting that Tony isn't the hero of the show for millions of viewers, despite being unapologetically racist and homophobic, is kidding themselves). I don't get offended as British person when it's constantly implied we're all limey bastards with bad teeth, and I'm pretty sure the WWE still have fans in France despite portraying the entire race as treacherous, wine-quaffing surrender monkeys during the La Resistance angle.

As for this particular incident, how strong an insult is 'faggot' in the states these days? Genuine question - I mean, if you told me a British person calling his mate a 'big puff' for being scared of wasps or shit at football or something was an outright homophobe, I'd laugh in your face. Cole is probably using 'faggot' in a similar sense, although the word does seem a lot stronger to us.

• Paid Members

This whole outrage is pretty gay. Michael Cole jokingly called someone a faggot, so what?, where's the "homophobia" in that?, where is he "inciting hatred" in that line?, nowhere. Josh Matthews is a STRAIGHT man (allegedly), Super Mikey decided to insult his sexuality for a laugh, there's nothing wrong with that at all, sure, the over sensitive will cry "why is it considered an insult to call someone gay?", but it is a insult, THAT'S THE FUCKING AIM!, straight men don't want to be called gay, BECAUSE THEY LIKE WOMEN!, not because they hate/fear the gays. I'm sure some people within the BLT community will jokingly call each other straight, I'm sure I've heard the term "breeder" thrown out before, are they inciting hatred towards straight people?, obviously not, and you won't hear any stories about the "Non Gay Straight People Alliance" getting up in arms about it, because there is nothing to be offended by, it's a fucking laugh.

I have a white mate who gets called "black Andy" because he likes rap music and once wore a FuBu top, is that inciting hatred towards blacks?, no. When my dad calls me a girl for turning the heating on is he inciting hatred towards women?, no. When one of my mates changes his facebook status to "in a relationship" and I type in "What's his name?" how is that being homophobic?, why does that mean that I hate gays?, it doesn't, clearly. Anyone who says it does needs to get a grip, and stop being an over-sensitive bellend.

If gays (or the people that want to represent them) get so offended by what straight people jokingly call each other, then they wouldn't last 5 minutes out here where there is a lot of hatred, that's actually directed TOWARDS them!. Maybe they should spend some time dealing with the people who actually hate gays, rather than getting into a hissy fit over pointless shit like this.

Lets hope his punishment is that he can't announce Wrestlemania.

Lets not he is the best announcer in WWE at the moment by along way. His new heel persona he has become is just what WWE has needed for ages.

He doesnt even use his new persona while announcing the matches.. he always apologizes after the lawler-cole segments and contiunes his job and marking for Cena like nothing happend.

If gays (or the people that want to represent them) get so offended by what straight people jokingly call each other, then they wouldn't last 5 minutes out here where there is a lot of hatred, that's actually directed TOWARDS them!. Maybe they should spend some time dealing with the people who actually hate gays, rather than getting into a hissy fit over pointless shit like this.

Totally agree with everything you said! It's easier to gain "victories" when you continually attack soft targets. If they went after organisations who actively promote anti-homosexual views (such as virtually any religious group) they'd get nowhere, but to attack one individual who made a silly comment in jest to a work colleague on Twitter, that'll get results.

• Paid Members
I'm sure some people within the BLT community will jokingly call each other straight

I think they'd probably just prefer to continue discussing their delicious sandwiches.

• Paid Members

It's Cole's complete lack of understanding of the position that is he in that makes this so stupid. He's on the verge of a Wrestlemania match and by being their main commentator he's almost the guy at the 'front desk' of the WWE. He can't really be seen to be saying things like this and, regardless of how awesome he has been in his role for a number of months, he's still the same thick bastard he's always been.

Archived