GPW: "Only The Strong Survive 2011" Sat 9th Apr Wigan

Mr. Noble

I reckon a Best of GPW dvd is a long time coming. The amount of good matches i've seen across the dvd's I own is certainly more than enough to warrant a Best Of. Im not saying such a dvd would increase attendance or anything, but it'd certainly be a decent starting point for people unable to make it to shows that would like to see the product. I know as a first time buyer i'd be more inclined to get a Best Of dvd than a random show

Something similar may be in the works in the comnig months...

The milestone I was refering to in earlier posts may well call for a "Best Of" DVD of some description to celebrate its passing. Our June 3rd show will feature GPW's 500th match!! Which matches would you like to see on a GPW: 500 Compliation Disc?

Some of our best over the years that immediately spring to mind for me are:

"Dangerous" Damon Leigh vs. Joseph Hayes - GPW: "Salvation Is Near", 21st May 2005

Dirk Feelgood vs. Tracy Smothers - Heavyweight Title #1 Contenders Match, GPW: "Keep The Faith" 8th September 2006

Danny Hope vs. Rupert Holmes vs. Bubblegum vs. Sam Bailey - 4-Way, GPW: "Keep The Faith" 8th September 2006

Joseph Hayes vs. Bubblegum - CC8 Final GPW: "Crazy Cruiser-8" 3rd November 2006

El Ligero vs. Juice - Los Sanchos Street Fight, GPW: "That's Entertainment!", 15th June 2007

Heresy vs. Joey Hayes - I Quit Match, GPW: "Supercharged", 16th November 2007

Darkside vs. Feelgood vs. Bubblegum vs. Phere - Heavyweight Title 4-Way, GPW: "V", 4th July 2008

William G

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wahey! Im switched on today. I'd be well up for buying that disc if it contained all of those matches. 2 omissions for me would be the Falls Count Anywhere from Carpe Diem 2009 between Bubblegum and Dirk Feelgood and the CC8 Semi Final of Bubblegum vs Joey Hayes. I seem to recall a cracking Juice vs Ligero match from Hot Gossip, too. Probably loads more but I cant think right now.

• Paid Members

Bubblegum Vs Dirk Feelgood from Carpe Diem deserves a place for how dramatic that match was and the end of a near year long feud.

and the Echo's Elite/Alan's All Stars Survivors match from the first OTSS is still one of GPW's best supershow opening matches.

Pretty much all that list would suffice Noble, I'd also base alot of feuds and and feud enders, could even produce hype videos for each match, either way it should happen.

• Paid Members

Ooo, interesting idea.

Some of the more memorable and important GPW matches I've personally seen over the years, which I would defintely include if the footage is available/up to required standard:

Chris Hero vs. Double-C (Claudio Castagnoli)

Hostile Takeover (April 2004?)

Chris Hero vs. TJ Cain

Hero's Welcome (October 2004, the show with Colt Cabana, Paul Burchill, Alex Shane's backstage fight with Lee Butler, and Kev the Ref getting twatted in just about every match)

Alex Shane vs. Damon Leigh

Last Orders at the Legion (February 2005?)

Bubblegum vs. Juice

Semi Final

Crazy Cruiser 8 (November 2006)

Darkside vs, Joseph Hayes

Semi Final

Bubblegum vs. Joseph Hayes

Final

El Ligero vs. Juice

Los Sanchos Street Fight

That's Entertainment! (June 2007)

Juice vs. Chris Echo

Final

Crazy Cruiser 8 (May 2008)

Darkside vs. Feelgood vs. Bubblegum vs. Phere

V (July 2008)

Dirk Feelgood vs. Bubblegum

Falls Count Anywhere

Carpe Diem (March 2009)

Martin Kirby vs. John Walters

Only The Strong Survive (May 2009)

Danny Hope vs. Jiggy Walker

No Holds Barred

Truth & Consequences (September 2009)

Juice vs. Sam Bailey

Friday Night Thriller III (October 2009)

Bubblegum vs. Joey Hayes

Semi Final

Crazy Cruiser 8 (November 2009)

Juice vs. Joey Hayes

Final

Crazy Cruiser 8 (November 2009)

Jack Gallagher vs. Zach Diamond

Only The Strong Survive (October 2010)

Zach Diamond vs. Mikey Whiplash

Live & Let Die (March 2011)

BIN MAN vs. Ben Ten

Live & Let Die (March 2011)

Zach's Diamonds vs. Evil Empire

Only the Strong Survive (April 2011)

Kirby's Dream Team vs. The Masterplan

Only the Strong Survive (April 2011)

Alex once upon a time had a taste for ears... among other things! Nontheless, it's a good story.

I'll cover it in a blog in the near future ;)

I'm taking a trip down memory lane in Part 1 of the "Only The Strong Survive 2011" blog so if you're not familiar with some GPW / UK wrestling dirt and confessions, you'll enjoy it! It'll be on line next week!

Thanks for the suggestions on the matches so far!

Chris Hero vs. TJ Cain

Hero's Welcome (October 2004, the show with Colt Cabana, Paul Burchill, Alex Shane's backstage fight with Lee Butler, and Kev the Ref getting twatted in just about every match)

Ha yeh that was a longgggg night! :laugh:

I'd like to add 3 matches to the list

The first ever Torneo Cibernetico from OTSS 2008, Dirk Feelgood vs Heresy from FNT 2006 and CJ Banks vs Sam Bailey from FNT 2008.

• Paid Members
dont forget hayes vs heresy vs ddl that was brilliant in terms of storylines with hayes finally breaking free of heresy.

Absolutely. I didn't include most of the key matches in that story in my own list, since I didn't actually see them live, however, the whole story would certainly make a decent DVD:

- Joey turns heel and joins SIN (Last Orders at the Legion, Feb 2005?)

- Joseph Hayes is a part of SIN, with The Juice, Minx and leader Heresy, for a few years

- Friction between Hayes and Heresy during second half of 2007, with Hayes' own British Title ambitions. Fans start getting behind Hayes and begging for him to turn on Heresy.

- Hayes vs. Heresy vs. Damon Leigh 3-way, where Hayes finally splits from SIN and becomes the top babyface again.

- 2007 ends with climatic Hayes vs. Heresy, "Loser Leaves GPW" "I Quit!" match. Joey's returning old buddy TJ Cain turns on him, joining forces with Heresy. Joey quits and gives up his GPW roster spot to save his kid brother's head being caved in with a brick by Heresy and Cain.

- Joey "invades" several early 2008 shows, running in from the crowd to attack Cain/Heresy before being dragged out by security.

- Joey vs. TJ Cain, unsanctioned streetfight at "V" in July 2008, where Joey wins back his roster spot and sends TJ Cain packing (a brilliant match which should have made my initial list, actually).

Whole thing was excellent.

Other such storylines include Dirk Feelgood getting screwed out of the title, turning heel on Bubblegum out of his own selfishness and ambition, Bubblegum refusing to hit Dirk for months, Bubblegum finally fighting back, then going back-and-forth a number of months before the final "Falls Count Anywhere" match at Carpe Diem 2009.

dont forget hayes vs heresy vs ddl that was brilliant in terms of storylines with hayes finally breaking free of heresy.

Absolutely. I didn't include most of the key matches in that story in my own list, since I didn't actually see them live, however, the whole story would certainly make a decent DVD:

- Joey turns heel and joins SIN (Last Orders at the Legion, Feb 2005?)

- Joseph Hayes is a part of SIN, with The Juice, Minx and leader Heresy, for a few years

- Friction between Hayes and Heresy during second half of 2007, with Hayes' own British Title ambitions. Fans start getting behind Hayes and begging for him to turn on Heresy.

- Hayes vs. Heresy vs. Damon Leigh 3-way, where Hayes finally splits from SIN and becomes the top babyface again.

- 2007 ends with climatic Hayes vs. Heresy, "Loser Leaves GPW" "I Quit!" match. Joey's returning old buddy TJ Cain turns on him, joining forces with Heresy. Joey quits and gives up his GPW roster spot to save his kid brother's head being caved in with a brick by Heresy and Cain.

- Joey "invades" several early 2008 shows, running in from the crowd to attack Cain/Heresy before being dragged out by security.

- Joey vs. TJ Cain, unsanctioned streetfight at "V" in July 2008, where Joey wins back his roster spot and sends TJ Cain packing (a brilliant match which should have made my initial list, actually).

Whole thing was excellent.

Other such storylines include Dirk Feelgood getting screwed out of the title, turning heel on Bubblegum out of his own selfishness and ambition, Bubblegum refusing to hit Dirk for months, Bubblegum finally fighting back, then going back-and-forth a number of months before the final "Falls Count Anywhere" match at Carpe Diem 2009.

Some seriously good GPW knowledge, however - this doesn't exonerate you for not attending those live shows ;)

With knowledge like that it made me think we should have a GPW style Pub Quiz to mark our 500th match? Thing is though, we couldn't have you winning that AND the raffle Hat Guy! Maybe we'll save that for idea for GPW: "X", our ten year annivesary in July 2013... it's not long away!

Archived